Is the Hampton & Unaka series over after this year

starman

You're right, Unaka dropped Happy Valley in football; and yes, Unaka and Happy Valley still play baseball and basketball. It'll be OK. :) Interesting that so many are so alarmed that they might lose the opportunity to whoop up on lowly Unaka in football. You did play football, didn't you tickler? You do realize, then, what it's like to be overwhelmed week after week by the larger, and yes, we at Unaka can admit it, BETTER football schools in a very rough sport.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why does anything need to be sacrificed? Oldtimers reliving their pasts? Oh, I get it, you're no doubt referring to my very first football coach (yes, and I'm one of those oldtimers you so affectionately referred to ...my real name is Kim). Henry Wayne Ensor has literally dedicated his adult life to contributing to the ENTIRE UNAKA SPORTS PROGRAM, to include baseball and basketball. Yes, basketball. He and his wife, Cynthia work the concession stand during basketball season raising money for the baseball team.

Or maybe you were referring to Henry's brother, Cobby? Cobby is in fact helping to revive the Ranger football program to "past" days of prominence. But first he opted to serve for twenty-plus years in the U.S.Armed services before moving on down the state to teach and coach very successful teams in football and hmmmm, basketball. But which kids were you referring to as being sacrificed? Could you have been facetiously been referring to the small, proud Ranger footballers who have been placed on the chopping blocks to be run over by the bigger and yes, stronger teams like Hampton and Happy Valley?

And what if they decided to play Miami in football... would that be as ludicrous as your suggestion, coach? Oh, and has someone, either at Hampton, or more pathetically, from higher up, suggested that since Unaka has decided to forego the annual thumping at the hands of the much stronger Bulldogs, that this gives just cause for the Hamptaon to drop Unaka in baseball and basketball? Unaka is attempting to play teams that are in similar circumstances in football, not very good. As for the kids deciding...let them decide the basketball/baseball issue, and if either team decides to withdraw, and for whatever reason, then so be it. But I'm personally offended that many of the suddenly concerned haven't bothered taking into account that many of us have sons that play football, and that we don't care for the suggestion that we be mauled by bigger, better teams while we desperately try to rebuild. By the way, my name is Kim Richardson, sir, what's yours?

Coachtdog has suggested that the Baseball field lost priority to the football field. What wasn't stated was that the Football Field and part of the track had to be dug up in order to accomidate the Baseball field improvements. The football field was indeed re-sodded after the excavations; but it's worth noting that the Unaka Football coaching staff has exactly zero authority as to when those in charge choose to finish the Baseball field. What's most interesting is that there's such an alarm mentality concerning the baseball and basketball rivalries with Hampton while our young and battered footballers continue to struggle...and lose, which is in fact the prime reason for dropping the Bulldogs for now.

Whoa! lets get the facts straight before we slam the entire staff of football coaches at Unaka High.

Each team is districted so that in their conference they play teams of equal size schools. Living in the same county has nothing to do with it! The other teams they choose to play is up to the Head Coach, not the community or school board members, or other sports teams' coaches. I'm sure that the boys basketball coach does his own schedule as well as the other teams at any school. So no matter how upset parents are they cannot tell the coach who to play. If Hampton wants to use our not playing them in Football as an EXCUSE for not playing us in other sports then be upset with them. Afterall these parents who are upset don't go to the ball game wondering and worrying about whether thier kid will be hurt that night because of fatigue or the other team having enough players that each kid doesn't have to play both offense and defense every ball game! As many players do at Unaka. Look at the (3A) Claiborne County ball game. We had 2 players put out of the ball game, one with a concussion and one with a broken hand. We have very few to fill in when someone is hurt. Yes, Basketball does play 2 & 3A teams but this is left up to the coach to decide. It's about time a coach at Unaka has gonads!! How would any 2A team like it if TSSAA came in and said they had to play 3 & 4A teams only?? Not very nice HuH! Afterall how many teams are 1A that Hampton plays? (4)? Of course 2 of them are Cloudland, but they are still 1A. If your going to convict and punish our team for wanting to play with teams that we can compete with then you need to ask where your heart and head are?>? On the basketball floor or baseball field???

As far as the Baseball field not being finished this has nothing to do with football. The Carter County School system allocated money to complete the sports facility on Unaka school grounds. In order to do this they had to move the football field down 20 yards. This was so they could meet standards on the baseball field. If you want to know why its not been started ask Danial Holder, I believe he's spearheading the project. We were assured that by spring the baseball field would be complete with dugouts, backstop and press box. ;)

i just got back to town. been out on the job, what the h@%%

is this all about? i've been readin this page and i see whats goin on but i just dont get it. whats the football field gotta do with the baseball field. whats one sport got to do with another. whats all this @&%$ about. and what in the world is haimpton so d%@# mad for that they wont to cancil the other games. heck the whole dang creek goes over to that game when it basketball time. a man whould be stupid to call that off just cause its hissy time. so the football team aint gonna play you. well whats that got to do with the rest of your doggone life. you gonna quit your job and drop out of church too? and as for everyone tryin to put all this on the football coaches, heck whether or not you agree with the decision dont matter. i reckon thats why you aint the coach. but to blame them for hampton wantin to be a woman about it and cancil all the rest of it is stupid. think on it people. thats hamptons call. you wanna be mad at somebody be mad at them, heck i am. all the time. gives me somethin to do when i aint workin.

First I have heard nothing in stone. Second, this whole thread was started by a Ranger basketball parent. No one from Hampton got on here with any attitude. It sounds to

me for once this isn't a Hampton problem. I feel sure the

two teams will meet on the hardwood, heck Unaka is even in

their Christmas tourney, which they will more than likely

win. It's obvious there is trouble in paradise. Where did

this rumor come from, "the creek"? Coachtdog think about

what's best for everyone. No one is going to drop anyone.

So go support the Rangers Friday night and quit ruining our

lives.

Nospin have you been designated as the police dog for Unaka High School on Coach T. The last time I checked this was a message board where people could dicuss sporting issues in general. You might not agree with everything you read but nothin has been said out of the way about any kids or players and never will be. If it hurts your feelings that someone states that the athletic progams are so divided at UHS that no one knows what is going on then you will just have to be offended. As long as you pat everyone on the back at UHS everything is hunkie dorie but loe and behold someone step on the wrong toes on the creek. As for a new Coach T ID, I don't think so and I will still continue to voice my opinions on here. I might not agree with everything that goes on, but at least I try and support UHS. So get the word out that ole Tdog might just not agree with everything that the Lord's of Stoney Creek are doing. But I won't be offended by it.

I agree 100% with CoachTDog. There needs to be communication and cooperation between all the coaches at UHS. Pulling together as one is a heckuva lot easier than trying to see who can out do the other. I'm sure that all the coaches are in it for the ultimate good of the kids. Let's just not lose focus on what that "good" really is. TDog said it best when he said that everyone on here isn't going to agree with everything thats posted. That's what makes this "sounding board" so unique. You can read everyone opinions, where good or bad, state your opinion and move on. Maybe feelings might be hurt, just remember its only OPINIONS.

Tdog, you clearly have a difficult time telling the difference between what offends me and what I find very amusing! You can say what you want, that is true. Just don't be surprised when "coachT" starts to bleed over into reality for you. You see, I am not a police dog. Oh no. In fact I encourage you to keep doing what you're doing. However, I have a responsibility, a calling if you will, to tell it like it is. So here goes. You do have the right to say what you want, but those who know who you are (which is obviously pretty much everyone) don't care because you have shot you're credibility with them. So even if you actually are saying something great, many will now disregard it because they know who you are, and they have heard enough. Hey, I just call 'em like I see 'em. But you do what you like. Just don't mistake my amusement for my being offended. The truth on that matter is that I don't offend easily.

"The truth will stand when the world's on fire."