Opening at Siegel?

warhawks

2p, I am not aware of Brad applying for the job.I just thought as a motivator and overall good guy, he might get some mention from Oakland folk, but I guess I was wrong.As for Oakland running the wing-t, I could tell the players didn't really buy into running that type of offense.They didn't quite know on the line what to do as well.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wyant is overdue for his shot at head coaching. Not sure this is the right fit for either him or the school. I'll just say - interesting choice.

I do know this- if crabtree or creasy were given the opportunity to coach the stars, siegal fans would be pleased with the results. Both have lived in the 'Boro, have defensive backgrounds, run a tite ship, and put butts in seats. They dont run your granddaddy's wing-t!

Here's some tidbits - Crabtree THREW for 4 TD passes running the wing-t while bringing Beech its first championship last week.

Creasy was part of a staff at Warren Co that beat oakland runnin the wing-t in '97, part of a Henry Co team that beat oakland running the wing-t in '98 (o-land's championship yr), part of a R'dale staff in '07 that beat Oakland, Smyrna(Smyrna's championship yr), Lavergne, Blackman and Siegal running the wing-t!

Neither coach would care what a players' dad thought, no matter who he was! If they had to listen to someones opinion, neither coach would care for the job!

Bottom line -- WIN-- then it doesn't matter what you run or who you are!

SECman.....again let me say that in no way was I trying to run down Coach Cowan and what he has meant to Oakland High School. I could sure be wrong! In my opionion, there are some guys who need to be in the role of the likable understanding coach ....the one that players can have a good time with and develop a special relationship. One that doesn't have to be "the Bad Guy." I think Cowan fits that role to a T. Ferg was that Good Guy coach when my son played. He loved to joke with Ferg, but knew if he had a problem he could go to Ferg for advice. Ferg never lost his temper and was very understanding of them.That is the "good guy" role. When Ferg was placed in the head coach role, it was a hard transition for the players AND Ferg himself. I don't think he EVER felt comfortable in that role, and it carried over to the overall team discipline or should I say lack of it. He just wasn't used to being the bad butt disciplinarian.....Marty was in that role, and Marty was VERY GOOD at it. Parents did NOT argue with Marty, and neither did the kids. The kids just didn't seem to ever accept Ferg as the fellow in charge and that is ultimately what cost him his job. The wingt was brought in to try to salvage OHS. I think probably Coach Bartsh helped convince them to convert to it and had he called the plays on varsity, all of them might very well still be around. We had some backs that could have run it well. I saw MANY freshmen games that yr and they ran it with precision. The kids knew what they were doing. I will agree that the play of the line was a big factor too in the failure of the system on varisty. They ran into each other more than once.....but it is the job of the OC to straighten those kind of things out. The game to comes to mind to me was the Lebanon game that yr that was played at home. I think just about everyone around me was calling for Cowan's head after the playcalling in that one, especially the last couple of minutes of it.

Had no clue that Creasy had coached at Henry County or Warren County when my son played for OHS. For some reason, I thought he was at Trousdale his whole tenure as a coach with the exception of the year he was DC at Riverdale. Guess you learn things every day. It does sound like he has done some jumping around though. Warren then Henry, Trousdale, Riverdale, then Trousdale.....in a 10 yr span?

Had no clue that Creasy had coached at Henry County or Warren County when my son played for OHS. For some reason, I thought he was at Trousdale his whole tenure as a coach with the exception of the year he was DC at Riverdale. Guess you learn things every day. It does sound like he has done some jumping around though. Warren then Henry, Trousdale, Riverdale, then Trousdale.....in a 10 yr span?

Lots of successful coaches move around to build their careers very rapidly. I'm sure Alabama is not mentioning how many times Saban has changed jobs over his career. Toledo to the NFL to Michigan St to LSU to the Dolphins and now with Alabama in the national championship.

Congrats to Coach Wyant, looks like his moves recently have paid off.