Rank Sumner County Football

breakawayspeed

With Gallatin and Beech meeting in the playoffs this week the question popped into my mind, How strong is Sumner County Football? Looking at our teams you have to imagine that there aren't many counties state wide that have the number of quality teams or the number of quality traditions as we do.

Here are our teams:

Gallatin - beat a #1 seeded Henry County team

Beech - Year in and Year out a stellar program

Hendersonville - A contender every year with Coach Hetfield and his staff

White House - A dominant team in their classification most years

Westmoreland - A history of success in past years

Station Camp - The newest school in the county and already starting a winning tradition

Portland - Many say the 3A state championship went through Portland from 1994-2004, Great tradition

If I forgot a school I apologize. Obviously there are other counties that can boast of great teams, but from top to bottom we have a very nice line up. It may not be the best statewide, but I would say it is in the top 10 at least. I know somebody is going to blast me and say their county would samsh ours and that may be true. I'm not stupid. Sumner County isn't the football Mecca of TN, but we play some good football and I was wondering what everybody else thought.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to compare Rutherford and Williamson county to Sumner county because of enrollment and population...You can go to the TSSAA website and see that Riverdale , Oakland, Smyrna , Franklin and Brentwood just to name a few are 6A schools and have enrollments much higher than Sumner county schools...Gallatin, Beech, Hendersonville , Station camp and Portland are all 5A schools..Whitehouse is 4A and Westmoreland a 3A..Pope John Paul even though they are a private school have tough road playing the Brentwood Academy's and the Ensworths...For the size of the schools in Sumner county I think we do real well and proud to live in Sumner county were the likes of Gallatin,Hendersonville ,Beech,Station Camp, Portland ,Whitehouse,Westmoreland and Pope John Paul have great athletic programs with great fans...Look at it this way we could have a Sumner county team in Cookeville this year..

When I was a cop at Hendersonville, back in the dark ages, Sumner County was growing just as fast as Rutherford is now. Thing is the politicians (County Commissioners) killed that growth with their high taxes. If it had kept growing at the rate it was then Sumner County schools would be just as large or BIGGER than Rutherford County.

As to the original question, Sumner is solid in a couple of schools with only Gallatin having what I consider a legacy program. Yes JP2 is hurting schools like Hendersonville and Beech, but if you have watched them since 'Golden' left they have not done much except show up in uniform.

When I was a cop at Hendersonville, back in the dark ages, Sumner County was growing just as fast as Rutherford is now. Thing is the politicians (County Commissioners) killed that growth with their high taxes. If it had kept growing at the rate it was then Sumner County schools would be just as large or BIGGER than Rutherford County.

As to the original question, Sumner is solid in a couple of schools with only Gallatin having what I consider a legacy program. Yes JP2 is hurting schools like Hendersonville and Beech, but if you have watched them since 'Golden' left they have not done much except show up in uniform.

I totally agree with ya ..But even if we had the growth the school board would keep student enrollements below 1500 and we would have high schools on every corner of the larger cities...lol

To rank the Sumner County schools this year:

Beech

Gallatin

Hendersonville

Station Camp

White House

Westmoreland

Pope John Paul

Hendersonville Christian Academy

(Space)

(Space)

(Space)

Portland

Yes I know HCA plays 8-man but I still think they would beat Portland! :thumb:

Very few counties compete with Rutherford and Williamson, overall. This is mainly due to enrollment and the schools in Sumner County will never see the size of those two counties, they will just build more schools as the population grows.

Sumner County when was the last time you had a team play for a State Championship?

For many years in the old playoff format, you were the whiping boys for the WILCO schools...

in the old format, you beat up upon each other and weaker teams in your division- WILCO and Rutherford heads and bounds above you . . .

Station Camp starting a winning tradition since the school has been built what is its overall record?

Beech, now that is a team that has impressed me, ya look at them at you say how do they win, but they just do it....

Sumner County when was the last time you had a team play for a State Championship?

For many years in the old playoff format, you were the whiping boys for the WILCO schools...

in the old format, you beat up upon each other and weaker teams in your division- WILCO and Rutherford heads and bounds above you . . .

Station Camp starting a winning tradition since the school has been built what is its overall record?

Beech, now that is a team that has impressed me, ya look at them at you say how do they win, but they just do it....

Beech is a VERY recent occurance. Gallatin has won the Gold Ball a couple of times and Hendersonville even made it to the big dance once. There they encountered a Rutherford County team and went home with the Silver Ball.

Do you realize the difference in enrollment between Rutherford/Williamson and Sumner? The new format doesn't have the Sumner County teams competing against Rutherford and Williamson come playoff time. I believe you will see Sumner County teams going deep every year under this new format (not that I like the Z plan, however I do like 6 classes).

Station Camp... I'm not sure of the overall record, but they have been winning the last few years. This year was a bit difficult, as they moved up in classification and lost a lot from last year's team.

Beech... It may be recent, but I believe you will be hearing a lot about them.

Gallatin/Hendersonville... With 6 classes I believe it is a much different situation.

As it stands at this point, I believe one of these four Sumner County schools has a legitimate shot to be in the finals each year, this year being Beech/Gallatin. Unfortunately they have to play one another.

Beech is a VERY recent occurance. Gallatin has won the Gold Ball a couple of times and Hendersonville even made it to the big dance once. There they encountered a Rutherford County team and went home with the Silver Ball.

For the record, Hendersonville has made it to the big dance twice in the last 15 years.

True, the larger counties like Williamson may have paowerhouse teams that can play above the Sumner teams. However, my point is that the Sumner teams are in lower classifications and they all have winning traditions. Teams like Portland are currently down but they have had histories of great success. Even a team like Station Camp has had some success and it hasn't been in existence that long. The main point here is the fact that between the towns of Gallatin and Hendersonville there are 4 teams (HHS, Beech, GHS, and ST. Camp). The populations of these schools could be combined like they are in larger counties like Williamson and the teams would be stronger. I personally like the way Sumner County keeps enrollment smaller, but it weakens our programs to a degree. Sumner County people know that we aren't #1, but we feel our teams are as respectable as any when it comes to the football field. If you wanna get down to the nuts and bolts of it nobodys county can compare to the Memphis area schools. There is more talent there than anyone can imagine.