Congrats to the MUS Owls Ranked 9'th in the Country!!!

VolunteerCoach

Way to Represent Tennessee Boys!

1 St. Thomas Aquinas Ft Lauderdale FL 11-0 1

James White had 176-yard and three touchdowns, all in the first half. Aquinas had put 50 points on the board before the intermission. The Raiders rolled Coral Springs 66-8.

2 Don Bosco Prep Ramsey NJ 10-0 2

Scoring twice in the opening minutes, four times in the opening quarter and six times by halftime, Don Bosco Prep, rolled to a 54-7 victory over Seton Hall Prep.

3 Cedar Hill Cedar Hill TX 11-0 6

Cedar Hill's defense turned a close game into a rout in the second half. Which is what championship teams do. The Longhorns beat Flower Mound Marcus 41-17.

4 Edison Huntington Beach CA 11-0 4

Despite an inspired performance by Millikan, Edison is the No. 1 team in California for a reason. The Chargers flexed their muscle in the first round of the playoffs 59-14.

5 Byrnes Duncan SC 12-1 5 In two games against Mauldin this season Byrnes has averaged 70.5 points. This week they won 69-28.

6 Centennial Peoria AZ 12-0 8

Centennial shutout another quality opponent, beating Westview 42-0.

7 Grayson Loganville GA 12-0 9

Special teams won the game for Grayson this week. The Rams recovered a kickoff for a touchdown, took a punt back for a touchdown and tacked on a field goal to win 24-14 over Roswell.

8 Skyline Dallas TX 12-0 3

Stock Falling Beating DeSoto - and scoring 41 points - makes for a good win, and it is tough to move the Raiders down, but allowing 36-points is not inspiring no matter the opponent.

9 Memphis University School Memphis TN 12-0 10

In a game of missed opportunities MUS beat Father Ryan 23-15. The score could have, and should have, been much worse.

10 Madison Central Madison MS 13-0 21

Stock Rising A very impressive 54-23 win over Olive Branch shoots Madison Central up to the Top 10. A showdown with South Panola this week will determine their final ranking

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the USA Today:

1. St. Thomas Aquinas, Fort Lauderdale (11-0)

2. Don Bosco Prep, Ramsey, N.J. (10-0)

3. Byrnes, Duncan, S.C. (12-1)

4. Centennial, Peoria, Ariz. (13-0)

5. Oaks Christian, Westlake Village, Calif. (11-0)

6. Cedar Hill, Texas (12-0)

7. Highlands, Fort Thomas, Ky. (13-0)

8. Oscar Smith, Chesapeake, Va. (12-0)

9. Madison Central, Madison, Miss. (13-0)

10. Maine South, Park Ridge, Ill. (13-0)

11. Katy, Texas (11-1)

12. Jenks, Okla. (12-0)

13. North Penn, Lansdale, Pa. (12-0)

14. Grayson, Loganville, Ga. (12-0)

15. Stony Point, Round Rock, Texas (11-1)

16. West Monroe, La. (12-0)

17. Auburn, Ala. (13-0)

18. Miami Northwestern (10-1)

19. Glenville, Cleveland (12-1)

20. Crenshaw, Los Angeles (11-0)

21. Skyline, Dallas (12-0)

22. Union, Tulsa (11-1)

23. Grant, Sacramento (11-0)

24. Stevenson, Sterling Heights, Mich. (13-0)

25. Good Counsel, Olney, Md. (11-1)

The Ranking services at Rivals and unapproved website are much more reputable than the USA Today. The USA Today is nothing more than a popularity contest for readers. Rivals would be the #1 ranking and recruiting site followed by unapproved website and then unapproved website.

Actually, you are partly right. I agree with you that Rivals has a better grasp than USA Today, but the most accurate polls are the compilation polls. When you average out the six major pollsters you come up with a different ranking for MUS. The six polls used are USA Today, ESPN, Rivals, PrepNation, unapproved website, and unapproved website. That would be the most logical way of doing it. When they are averaged out you get:

#20 MUS

#78 Alcoa

I have a feeling Maryville will be in there as well if they take state.

USAToday is deemed most important because more people read it by far. There are no truly "accurate" high school football polls. Simply no way to compare that many teams in different parts of the country. Fun, nonetheless, and a source of pride for teams and fans. Any team that is ranked at all in any of these polls is pretty darned good!

I could be wrong, but I believe that USAToday has been around longer than any other high school football poll. I can't remember the name, but they also had a highly regarded writer who covered high school football for a long time, but he is no longer with the paper. It might have been Tom Lemming. Combine these reasons with Itzme's reason and I think that's why their poll gets the most attention.

There's no way to gauge how accurate or good these polls are, and they really don't mean anything anyway. But it's awfully cool to have your team listed in one, especially if they've made it into the top 10.

For the MUS people out there, how does the team this year compare with the one last year?

South Panola is up 27-7 against Madison Central at the half. Not much of a game in Batesville.

South Panola wins 36 - 21 in a game with the most penalties I have ever seen..300+ plus yards combined I'm sure. I doubt USAtoday will be able to keep the Owls out of the rankings now.

I agree, the S. Panola/Madison Central game was the REAL Mississippi state championship game. S. Panola will have no problems with Oak Grove. They shoud be ranked in the USA Today poll for sure.

On another note about the USA Today poll, though. They are probably the worst poll out there. I know they have been around the longest, but they are horrible in their picks and regional picks. The pollsters that work for USA Today have always had ties to certain regions and teams. They always rank those areas and teams first. They've been doing it for over 25 years now. The newer polls that are out now are considerably more accurate. 10-15 years ago these hypothetical polls were worthless, but with all of the out-of-state games taking place nowadays all the pollsters are able to get a much better grasp of things nationally. I, myself, analyze teams nationally and I can say that I have had MUS ranked in my top 15 for most of the season.