ETSU MAY START A WRESTLING PROGRAM

THEANIMAL

I GOT THIS NOTE FROM "PEOPLE FOR ETSU WRESTLING" FACEBOOK PAGE.

Hello everyone, I need to know who is gonna be interested in actually wrestling on the team. I have been emailing Hall of Fame coach Don Elia. Coach Elia was the former Carson-Newman coach and he is all for helping get this team started and wants to coach the team as well. He knows about everything that needs to be done as far as to be recognized by the NCAA. He also is going to go talk to the athletic director with us as soon as I can get a meeting arranged. This is gonna be a varsity wrestling team instead of a club team because he believes that a varsity team will be easier to keep going since the school will be invested in it. I need everyones support on this and need everyone to spread the word so we can get this rolling!

Austin Collins

collsa01@goldmail.etsu.edu

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The athletic director & president only want to see if the wrestling team has an endowment large enough that the university does not have to put any funds or effort into the wrestling program. Bucknell had to fully endow both the wrestling program and another womens program (cost $5,000,000.00+) before the university would allow them to start the wrestling program. Let's not forget that Bucknell is in the Partiot League and they do not allow athletic scholarships.

Austin Collins sent a message to the members of People For ETSU Wrestling.

--------------------

Subject: Petition

Everyone there will be a petition posted in the CPA later on today. I need as many people as possible to try and get over to the CPA to sign it before Monday Dec. 7 at 2 before the meeting with the Athletic Director. Get anyone you can to go with you to sign it to show interest in a wrestling program, so that maybe they will consider adding a wrestling program to ETSU athletics. Thank you for everyone's support!

Austin

Forgive my ignorance, but where/what is the CPA? My son wrestles with on of the AAU clubs in the area and I'm sure a few of the boosters/parents of our program would be willing to sign the petition. We just need to know where it to do so.

Good question I had to ask my son who goes to ETSU. It is the Wayne G. Basler Center for Physical Activity (new campus rec. center) and is located west of the Dome.

Hello,

ETSU did have a wrestling team in the 80's that lasted for two years. It was when they were going to join the Southern conference and they needed additional varsity sports to become eligible. The head coach was Tony Farrace. I was the Graduate Assistant. I believe we one or two matches that year competing in the Southern Conference. We used to practice in Brooks gym behind the stage.

After they were established in the conference they dropped the program.

Mike Kuziola

Austin Collins sent a message to the members of People For ETSU Wrestling.

Subject: Petition

"Sorry if you went to the CPA and couldn't find the petition. The people at the CPA didnt seem too excited about a wrestling petition being put up. It was put up on the message board near where you go to get locker keys, equipment, etc. I need as many people as possible to sign the petition before Monday. So if you can please go sign it, it wont take long. We need to show our interest to the school so that they will add a wrestling program. Thanks"

Hello,

ETSU did have a wrestling team in the 80's that lasted for two years. It was when they were going to join the Southern conference and they needed additional varsity sports to become eligible. The head coach was Tony Farrace. I was the Graduate Assistant. I believe we one or two matches that year competing in the Southern Conference. We used to practice in Brooks gym behind the stage.

After they were established in the conference they dropped the program.

Mike Kuziola

MIKE,

PLEASE E-MAIL COACH VANDERGRIFF AT chris.vandergriff@gmail.com HE WANTS TO SAY HELLO FROM THE OLD REGION ONE DAYS IN THE MIDDLE 1970'S.

THANKS,

THE ANIMAL