SP's Terrell Robinson is A Class Act

OLD PIRATE

I've met the young man's brother (A.Rob.) a few times. If he is anything like him, he's a great kid with a good head on his shoulders. With the tools he has "upstairs", it looks like Vandy would be all over him, as well as, D. Jones from last year. I'd say D. Jones is every bit as good as Gaston Miller from R'dale, probably bigger, and yet they give him a shot. I know T. Rob has the frame to put on some weight and he def. has the athletic ability, so those shouldn't be an issue. If he were at McCallie or Baylor, or maybe even Ootlewah (sp?), do you think he would be getting more looks? I've wondered the same thing about some of our players in the past. Idk! Maybe we're just looking through them rose colored glasses, huh OP? Good luck Terrell! :popcorneater:

Nobody want to answer my question? Come on OP, what do you think?

Of course I'm not downing Terrell, UTC, or the Pirate program. It's just I think we get overlooked, by all levels, just because we are in 1A. I realize that not many from our class go on to play major D1 football, but I'm also talking about some FBS schools as well. No one is going to get on here and tell me Montrez Mitchell, among many others you/we have had, couldn't play in the OVC, for example.

Seven, Uncle Dave thinks it all boils down to being in 1A and definitely academics. I know that SP and Trousdale have had several players that coulda, shoulda played at the D1 level. We had several that went to junior college to improve academically only to come home in a week or two. These young men gave up a great opportunity to get an education while playing football. I think if Terrell or David Jones were at bigger schools, they would have gotten more looks. The general consensus is that 1A football is weak. Yeah, there are some weak teams but when you get into the playoffs, that changes...especially 2 years ago when the Pirates had to run the "gauntlet" to win it all. Anyway, that is just my opinion. Has TC seen the same situation where some players don't stick it out in college?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seven, Uncle Dave thinks it all boils down to being in 1A and definitely academics. I know that SP and Trousdale have had several players that coulda, shoulda played at the D1 level. We had several that went to junior college to improve academically only to come home in a week or two. These young men gave up a great opportunity to get an education while playing football. I think if Terrell or David Jones were at bigger schools, they would have gotten more looks. The general consensus is that 1A football is weak. Yeah, there are some weak teams but when you get into the playoffs, that changes...especially 2 years ago when the Pirates had to run the "gauntlet" to win it all. Anyway, that is just my opinion. Has TC seen the same situation where some players don't stick it out in college?

Absolutely!!! The ones we've had that were getting recruited big time, always seem to have broken their pencils. And the one's we've had that has what it takes up stairs, always seem to come up short in athletic dept. (as far as big D1). We've sent some to J.C.'s with similar results. We seem to get a lot of the "yeah, we'd love to have you, but you'll have to walk on" on the OVC level. This really gets under my skin, if you can't tell! :popcorneater: I agree with everything you've just said, my friend!!!

The doc has a few observations after reading this topic.

1) Robinson is one heck of a football player and competitor. I saw him play one time against Polk Co. and the kid never gave up and never quit. He displayed leadership leading his team back and made numerous big plays. He took a POUNDING against polk county and didn't quit.

2)Small school players do get overlooked but that is the nature of the beast. One reason Baylor and McCallie players to get the nod to some schools is due to their academic performance. Athletes with good grades make themselves marketbale to more schools and get more academic money with their scholarship.

3)All college recruiters have to go on in football is the games the players play in high school. No one can evaluate talent when the score is 60 to 0 (not just 1A but also 2A and 3A). Unlike baseball where players can compete on elite summer teams or in basketball where players can play high level AAU, football has difficulty spotilighting individual players against elite competition.

Best of luck to Robinson, I wish him the best at UTC. I hope he proves the big boys wrong for passing over him.

The doc has a few observations after reading this topic.

1) Robinson is one heck of a football player and competitor. I saw him play one time against Polk Co. and the kid never gave up and never quit. He displayed leadership leading his team back and made numerous big plays. He took a POUNDING against polk county and didn't quit.

2)Small school players do get overlooked but that is the nature of the beast. One reason Baylor and McCallie players to get the nod to some schools is due to their academic performance. Athletes with good grades make themselves marketbale to more schools and get more academic money with their scholarship.

3)All college recruiters have to go on in football is the games the players play in high school. No one can evaluate talent when the score is 60 to 0 (not just 1A but also 2A and 3A). Unlike baseball where players can compete on elite summer teams or in basketball where players can play high level AAU, football has difficulty spotilighting individual players against elite competition.

Best of luck to Robinson, I wish him the best at UTC. I hope he proves the big boys wrong for passing over him.

Those are some very good points. In this case however, someone said Terrell was either 1st or 3rd in his class, as far as grades go. And I can think of a hand full of games where he's playing against some pretty good comp. It's like they will look for "future potential" with a lot of kids and try to project where they will be in a couple of years. I don't think we get the same evaluations.

I remember in talking with those schools,Vandy,MTSU etc.told me that they wanted to make T.Robinson a outside backer for whatever their reasoning. David Jones was offered by,Vandy,Miss.St.,Memphis as quite a few other FBS schools. Of course Vandy and Miss.St. are BCS schools as well.All these schools recruited him as a running back.Gaston Miller is probably 20 lbs lighter and 4 inches shorter than David.He hosted David on at least 1 visit to Vandy.The big schools look alot at a players explosiveness.How a a player explodes with the ball and as well as he explodes into an opponent.These assesments are done normally well before their senior year. I think Terrel could do whatever he is given the chance to do honestly.

They wanted to make this Robinson boy that is our pass thrower a linebacker? Your joking. If this boy will lift some weights and improve his 50 yard dash time a little, this boy can play college football as a pass thrower. You think im joking cause im not. He proved that yesterday by winning that award at the football banquet.

Yeah, that is all part of the game. Look at tapes from MC in the middle 80's to the middle 90's, you will see every time that the Marion QB's are getting punished 90 percent of the time, even if they give it to the dive back or the pitch man. That is what offenses like that do, pretty much give free reign to the QB, and the spread option is no different. :wacko:

Old Pirate says come on TTP, find something orange and come watch the Pirates. Yous may as well git used to watching the Pirates for several years to come. They are going to be tough and most likely yous will find grey hair and sees some bare spots before they fall under the radar again.

I had planned on being at the game this weekend, until I realized it was at 12 on friday. I just wont be able to make that one. I know that the pirates will hammer union city. I don't know what time frame you have, but it will be a few more years, at least, but the pirates have a lot of rebuilding to do next year for sure. :lol: GO PIRATES!!!!!

Dillard your'e funny but I do agree.He really has a tremendous upside.Now if the coach at UTC and doesn't play daddy ball when his son graduates from Baylor,T.Robinson should rule the roost there after Colemen leaves.

Boss, I don't know Husseman, but I don't think he is like the former coach that played his son, who played for one year at Boyd i think. MC had a far better QB than he was that year. Jacob is a pretty good QB though and probably could provide some competition there. I hear he is a real talent. From what I have seen about the QB play at MTSU this year, I would think that Terrell could come right in and run that offense for the blue raiders. What do you think??

I don't know about T.Robinson at MTSU.They looked at him at another position as well as all of the other major schools.Some kids change position, but Terrell wants the chance to do what he's been doing most of his life.They hadn't offered which is a shame.Terrell may not be as fast as the QB at MTSU but he is bigger.At the level UTC plays I think they are getting a steal with him.With his continued work he has an unlimited amount of upside,(over used term)but not in this case.