Sullivan South Offseason Thread

WaCoJaCo

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CHMS is dominant against Sullivan. And many other schools over a 50 year history. But this poster is very immature and out of touch. I really don't feel like going back and compiling the names of the essential West athletes versus the essential Heights athletes but I tell you one that comes to mind real quick. That would be Bradley Davenport. One of the most exciting QB's to watch in South history. Oh, but then we are Quarterback High School. He and Taylor didn't share the same straw but they sure did get along on the football field. Kind of like peas and carrots. Jenni--aeee! Run Forest run!

Even though there are several that do not see alot of playing time..lets not take away their importance. Without those boys to play on the Scout team in practice, our starters would not be as good. They take a beating without ANY recognition...I for one respoct them...

Football at South takes a tremendous amount of dedication and time and I applaud anyone that can stick it out...Hang in there boys....you are appreciated...work hard get stronger and faster....and GO REBELS!!

100% Agreement!

You know I have not commented on this board at all. Because I promised my son I would stay off of this. But I can't hold my views anylonger first of all Ethan Long played longsnapper last year that's why he started, There is not another longsnapper in East Tennessee that can snap .70 and snap it 15 yards to boot. Haven't you noticed most kids snap it 10 and 12 yards. Ethan's time is better than most college longsnapper's and close to NFL time.Plus he has had 99% average for 4 years. Now with that being said. This is the first year he started as linebacker, he has always been a great linebacker, it just didn't suddenly happen this year. He is getting looked at by UT Chatt, Austin Peay, Carson Newman and has a walk on tryout for UT. The coaches at South never gave him the chance until this year , they started Ricky Neeley over Ethan last year because he was a senior. Ethan's records speaks for itself 141 tackles this year alone and 21 tackles in that Daniel Boone vs South game. So my son deserved to start and play on defense, he didn't play both ways like some.If that had been done less, we may of could of pulled that game out at Columbia, but the boys that played defense and offense couldn't hold UP.

He did extra time in the weight room all summer and put on 15 pounds also. If you want to start and play you have to put in extra time and effort. Enough said

Emoney is really liked and looked up to by a lot of the younger players. I understand he would light up the locker room on those down days. Tell him thanks.

I have nothing but respect for these young men who will attempt to take their talent and apply it to the next level. It is not the same as HS ball. Some can handle that some can't...regardless of ability. As for Ethan, I don't think he is done yet. I don't think he has peaked. It is still fresh to him and the hunger for more I believe will override the reality of the job that it is playing college football. I wish him well as all the '09 Seniors that will take it up another notch. Would like to hear what plans the other Seniors have.

Gosh, don't go getting the whole CH/Sullivan thing going people. Everybody get along! :D

I hate to see anybody give us a bad reputation on here. Seriously guys, we all know Sullivan is extremely underpopulated in comparison to CH and that doesn't help any, especially when it comes to athletics. Sullivan usually has at least 2-3 people every year capable of playing any sport, usually, most of them go to football(not always though). They may not start on the freshman or jv teams or anything, but at least they put out the effort to where they'll be good enough by the sophmore/junior/senior year.

Colonial Heights puts out quite a few more kids capable of playing right away, and I'd say those nice weights in that gym of theirs really helps. Truth is, Sullivan just doesn't have the funding to focus on anything sports-wise right now. The school's really been through a lot over the past 6 years, I want to say about 4-5 principals, not to mention the dropping student population(a ways under 200 last I heard). Currently, they don't have the equipment that CH has to be able to have their boys prepared to go right away their freshman year, but that's why SC has his summer workouts.

Anyway, apologies from the Gardens for the occasional crazy we do produce. :D and whoever mentioned something about linemen coming out of Sullivan in the next few years needs to give me some of that CH feed to put in the cafeteria, because most of these boys over here are tiny as can be.

Gosh, don't go getting the whole CH/Sullivan thing going people. Everybody get along! :D

I hate to see anybody give us a bad reputation on here. Seriously guys, we all know Sullivan is extremely underpopulated in comparison to CH and that doesn't help any, especially when it comes to athletics. Sullivan usually has at least 2-3 people every year capable of playing any sport, usually, most of them go to football(not always though). They may not start on the freshman or jv teams or anything, but at least they put out the effort to where they'll be good enough by the sophmore/junior/senior year.

Colonial Heights puts out quite a few more kids capable of playing right away, and I'd say those nice weights in that gym of theirs really helps. Truth is, Sullivan just doesn't have the funding to focus on anything sports-wise right now. The school's really been through a lot over the past 6 years, I want to say about 4-5 principals, not to mention the dropping student population(a ways under 200 last I heard). Currently, they don't have the equipment that CH has to be able to have their boys prepared to go right away their freshman year, but that's why SC has his summer workouts.

Anyway, apologies from the Gardens for the occasional crazy we do produce. :D and whoever mentioned something about linemen coming out of Sullivan in the next few years needs to give me some of that CH feed to put in the cafeteria, because most of these boys over here are tiny as can be.

Colonial Heights athletic success is directly attributed to the CHAC, Optimist, and Travel Ball leagues coaches. Some of the best over the years.

The Optimist coaches for the Chargers over the years (with an exception or two) get too little credit for the success South has had. With the parents assistance the kids are taught discipline, hard work, sportsmanship, and basic play making and the importance of winning. They get them ready for each team, each week with different schemes that are more complicated than I have seen at the South freshman or junior varsity level. They work for nothing but an occasional thank you and the satisfaction they get seeing their young prodigies in action on Friday nights. This dedication extends to the CHMS coaching staff who start the fine tuning in 8th grade.

This in no way is meant to disparage the Sullivan coaches. They too work hard for no pay to try to compete. I would suggest, however, they send a spy over to Charger practice next year and copy anything they can.

Every time a South W goes on the board, SC, staff, fans and school need to look up in the stands for the Charger coaches and give a hearty thumbs up. If Science Hill has this kind of dedication in the community for youth football that Colonial Heights has he will do well there, if he goes. At the risk of bludgeoning by the know-it-alls on here, if he does not have this support, he will struggle.

The Optimist coaches for the Chargers over the years (with an exception or two) get too little credit for the success South has had. With the parents assistance the kids are taught discipline, hard work, sportsmanship, and basic play making and the importance of winning. They get them ready for each team, each week with different schemes that are more complicated than I have seen at the South freshman or junior varsity level. They work for nothing but an occasional thank you and the satisfaction they get seeing their young prodigies in action on Friday nights. This dedication extends to the CHMS coaching staff who start the fine tuning in 8th grade.

This in no way is meant to disparage the Sullivan coaches. They too work hard for no pay to try to compete. I would suggest, however, they send a spy over to Charger practice next year and copy anything they can.

Every time a South W goes on the board, SC, staff, fans and school need to look up in the stands for the Charger coaches and give a hearty thumbs up. If Science Hill has this kind of dedication in the community for youth football that Colonial Heights has he will do well there, if he goes. At the risk of bludgeoning by the know-it-alls on here, if he does not have this support, he will struggle.

Its pretty rare that any school can compete in all sports. Science Hill is a basketball and baseball school, despite the fact they have 2000+ students I don't see it as a football school. Stacy has built the strongest program in the area over the past few years, hes an alum, he has IT here. We finished #1 in the NET football rankings this year according to TriCitiesSports.com (and i'm pretty sure we've been #1 or #2 the past few years). He doesn't need the challenge of rebuilding. We've still got two monkeys on our back. One is chasing the gold ball and the other, well we all know that one. I don't think he will go, or at least i hope. Plus, with the latest reclassification, he won't have to go through Maryville at South, but will if he goes to SH.

Yeah, man. Hire coach Williams ? and his sidekick for South if Carter goes.

Its pretty rare that any school can compete in all sports. Science Hill is a basketball and baseball school, despite the fact they have 2000+ students I don't see it as a football school. Stacy has built the strongest program in the area over the past few years, hes an alum, he has IT here. We finished #1 in the NET football rankings this year according to TriCitiesSports.com (and i'm pretty sure we've been #1 or #2 the past few years). He doesn't need the challenge of rebuilding. We've still got two monkeys on our back. One is chasing the gold ball and the other, well we all know that one. I don't think he will go, or at least i hope. Plus, with the latest reclassification, he won't have to go through Maryville at South, but will if he goes to SH.

81...I really don't believe he will go either but you have to look at the big picture. My understanding is he will take practically the whole staff with him. That is pretty powerful when you consider everyones future. It's pretty devistating when you consider the position South will be left with. South obviously will not be able to replace him. The money is just not there. So securing his whole staff a 25% pay increase is a rather important consideration not to mention his salary will double. South cannot and will not compete with this. A brand new stadium, 10th largest high school in the state, athletes walking the halls wilting away, a free hand...a pretty compelling situation. The flip side is the desertion of his alma mater. Go or stay? What would you do? Remember...this is about as honorable a man as can be found. I personally feel you need look no further than his record in the playoffs.

[list=]2005 - Curt Phillips against Mo West - Three delay of game penalties because her couldn't see. Playing with a 105 degree temp.

[list=]2007 - Curt Phillips against Maryville - The patented roll out sweep just didn't work. But we kept running it.

[list=]2008 - Taylor Fletcher against Greeneville - Three overtimes. No one else touched the ball but #15.

[list=]2009 - Aaron St. Clair and Bobye Taylor against Columbia - The middle was locked down. But we kept running the middle.

My point...He stays the course. He takes the flack. He is the George Patton of High School Football. He will win with his plan or he will die trying. Sooner or later that ultimate sacrifice mentality will infect someone and then he will kick the door down.

No he is not finished yet. :mellow: