Tri-County Seven - - Week of 29 November, 2009

krichunaka

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I would say that they are head and shoulders above the Lady Dogs. Granted they did win by 16 last night but Hampton played very bad and the Lady Cyclones shot the ball very well. I still think that if and or when the Lady Dogs get rid of their issues they can be just as good as either of the top 2 teams. Unicoi Co. may beat them by 20 Friday night the way they are playing now. Atleast there is room for improvement, where Elizabethton looks to be in mid-season form. Remember the Lady Dogs were 3-6 at Christmas last year and came on. Hope that is the case this year, but I'm not sure. Also, Cloudland and Unaka have performed better than many expected, so I would put them right there with the Lady Dogs because they probably are playing better right now. Kudo's to Coach Birchfield and Coach Wright.

Based on this post, I'm not sure which Hampton vs. Elizabethton game you watched. I agree that Hampton didn't play to their potential and I absolutely expect Coach LT to whip the Lady Dawgs into shape as the season goes forward (they appear young and inexperienced at the point guard position). However, your assertions that the Lady Cyclones "shot the ball very well" and "looks to be in mid-season form" are off the mark. Powell and Jefferson shot well. Fritz and Kiser also shot respectably. However, Cara and Chelsey Bowling had subpar offensive performances (5 points combined - shot something like 1-25 combined from the field). I don't say that out of disrespect for these young ladies, but rather to point out that it is an anomaly that I don't expect to continue throughout the season. Additionally, the Lady Cyclones had way too many unforced turnovers. Believe me, there's still plenty of room for improvement for the Lady Cyclones. Team chemistry and continuity is improving, but right now this team is not even close to where they were at the end of the summer. Time will tell whether they reach their potential.

I do agree the game was closer than the 16 point margin. That's to be expected in a rivalry game like Hampton vs. Elizabethton. I fully expect the game to be close when Hampton visits Elizabethton in January. It could go either way. That's the nature of these county rivalry games. However, if both teams play their best, E-Town wins because they have the superior team this year...

Unicoi Co.-58

Hampton-47

Was a two point game (42-40) and then Hampton began playing like they did against Eliz. LT changed the lineup tonight and hopefully sent a message to the ones that are having the issues, because it seems to have spread to every player. Last years team played hard, unselfish, TEAM basketball. This years team plays lazy, selfish, INDIVIDUAL basketball. N

This Hampton team lost three very good players.

Mikki Oliver was one of a kind.

Josie McKinney was often a lock-down defender, a very good player.

And of course, Sarah Calhoun, an incredible player who overcame such

overwhelming odds... just to play high school basketball. But she did so

much more: She excelled. She was a calming influence on that special,

state-tournament team.

And someone fully-capable of going off for double digits, and changing a

game in no time flat.

This team will take some time. But, it's a little unfair to expect the lady

Bulldogs to be in mid-season form so early.

The Lady Cyclones had an impressive win over Tennessee High in the championship game of the Doc Maples tournament tonight on the Lady Vikings home floor. The final score was 52-50. Elizabethton controlled the action for 3 quarters builing several 11 point leads and still led by 6 heading in to the fourth quarter. Tennessee High mounted a comeback led by bruising 6' post Honeycutt and actually took a four point lead. Cara Bowling made some huge plays down the stretch and the Lady Cyclones got a big rebound off a missed free throw and dribbled out the clock. Jefferson, Powell, and Cara Bowling(MVP) made the all tourney team. The Lady Cyclones are now 7-1 with wins over AAA Knox Bearden, Sevier County, Volunteer, and Tennessee High. They have a AA win over Chuckey-Doak and a A win over Hampton. They also beat Mitchell Co., N.C. The lone loss is to AAA Morristown West, which may be one of the best teams in the state. A great start! Go Cyclones!!!!!!