How is it possible that Parks is playing at Melrose

utfan3

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right. He is not the only one. And it drives me crazy how the tssaa continues to allow this to happen all over memphis but a transfer anywhere else in the state gets interrogated, investigated, background checked, urine/blood sample, cell phone bugged, strip searched, and anything else you can think of. It simply isnt fair. Why do they(tssaa) just look the other way when this happens in shelby co.?

Because most of the times, kids actually move. You don't have to go far to move to a new apartment complex. Heck they're building another one over here by Southwind. Also with some projects being torn down and families relocated a few years ago alot of transfers happened that way. Though some kids will go live with their grandparents or relatives to play at a different school. Eric Watson and Bobby Parks are a rare example of what I consider manipulating T$$AA rules, BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THEY DID, BECAUSE THEY BOTH MOVED BACK INTO TENN AND THE MELROSE DISTRICT, so I think its legit to me. I don't think they're looking the other way, because they looked thoroughly into the Parks transfer its just so natural that most players will move/or relocate for the school year or even day just to attend a different school.

You are right. He is not the only one. And it drives me crazy how the tssaa continues to allow this to happen all over memphis but a transfer anywhere else in the state gets interrogated, investigated, background checked, urine/blood sample, cell phone bugged, strip searched, and anything else you can think of. It simply isnt fair. Why do they(tssaa) just look the other way when this happens in shelby co.?

PARKS DID GET THOROUGHLY INTERROGATED, INVESTIGATED, ETC. HIS MOVE WAS LEGIT. HIS FAMILY MOVED TO MISSISSIPPI (OLIVE BRANCH) THEN MOVED BACK TO TENNESSEE (MELROSE). ALL DOCUMENTED. ALL LEGAL.

It is a minor point perhaps but a players' family can move a few miles or so in Memphis and depending upon the exact street be in either WSHS's , or Ridgeway's , or Kirby's, or Overtons', or East's ( and so forth ) district. And my understanding is a long as it is a valid move into a different school distrcit a kid does not have to sit out.

I only point that out because it may not be as disruptive as one might think for a family to move ( assuming legitimately ) a mile or two down away into an Apartment for example if they want their child to attend a particular school.

Edit: I am not sure about the transfer rules now that I think about it. I will try to look it up.

Well, the rule is that the player doesnt have to sit out as long as there is a legit change of address and the move was not for basketball (or whatever sport) reasons. Everything Ray Parks does is for basketball reasons. That kid eats, sleeps and breathes it. Ok, maybe he was legit, but how bout the Mayo kid who is now magically at Germantown. I bet there are 25 basketball players in Memphis city schools that are playing at a new school this year without sitting out. You cannot tell me they all are legit. Is it really that natural? I am not mad. I just want to know how they get away with it.

Not that it makes a hill of beans difference to me, but if the thread posts are true then surely the TSSAA would give this one a little more than the cursory look, wink, and nod.

This is bending the rules about as far as it goes in my opinion.

The move to MS was not for his parent's work and then to come back within xx days and enroll in another school - oh by the way is an established powerhouse smells a little fishy. I remember a few years ago when Tipton Rosemark had a kid that tranferred in (Arnett I believe) and he did have to miss a majority of the season before he could play.

Like I said it does not make a difference to me, but really smacks in the face of the "governing" body if the statements posted are true.

I agree. it isnt fair to the rest of the schools. Memphis city already has the best talent in the state, then when they are allowed to pick and choose schools/players is creates a huge advantage. I coach at a rural mid tn school. we had a kid move due to a court order and he still had to sit out a semester while they processed paper work. the kid had no choice in the matter and lost half of his senior season because the tssaa was supposedly doing their due diligence. Where is the due diligence in shelby co? Or do the rules just not apply there? Is it too far gone to get it under control?