scott smith resigns as topper headcoach

sissygirl

I guess you know you made yourself look stupid now right? I mean CN/Turner got beat by a spread team didn't they? They did make a pretty good run for it though. I don't like the Veer. Yes, I like the spread. It puts more athletes on the field and plays more players and has more stars and is more exciting. It takes a special RB to be successful out of the spread. It's a money maker...a crowd pleaser. It makes headlines. It gets the fans pumped. This is the modern era. Science Hill needs all that. Period. Mr. Turner goes to the Hill...they will do good...it will be fine...until they come up against Stacy Carter and his spread. I have a serious suggestion though. I suggest that Mike Turner become the AD at either DB or Science Hill because they are both in need of replacement. Notice I didn't say the word Idiot.

Couple of things I notice about the spread is first off you gotta have an outstanding QB and a back. Second, you gotta have an outstanding line. You can get by with just good as your outs because so many things happening. I think there are places that try and run the spread that really have no business doing so. The spread has worked great for a while, but it seems like people are developing strategies against it to not make it quite as wow as it used to be. I don't know about the SH QB coming up, but if he is not as least as good as St. Clair was for South, for example, they really need to look at something else. It all starts with a great QB. SH has the speed and speed and speed and speed so that they could do better than just the spread in my example. Also, I don't see the skilll in the line for it to work short term. 3 years from now with it worked in, maybe, but still only if you have the people at positions that can get the job done.

FB...you are correct about the X's and O's. But here is the nucleous of the matter. South, before Stacy (SBS if you will for a little acronym there) ran the WingT. For years. Stacy shows up and says we will run the spread. It did not matter what we had. All that mattered is that he said we will run the spread. I hated it. Stacy's second year was my sons Frosh year. I declared no RB could gain positive yards out of that offense. I fought Stacy for 2 years. I was wrong. And my son proved that it could be done and quite powerfully I might add. The point, and this is key for the Science Hill people, is Stacy will build this thing from the ground up. And where there were no QB's, all of a sudden there will be hoardes. And where there were no quality RB's, all of a sudden there will be many. And in the beginning the linemen will not understand the blocking schemes, and all of a sudden they will realize it is much easier and more effective. And we all know it will be a WR's dream come true. That is the magic...not just of Stacy but of any system coach. A true system coach builds the framework and his psychology pulls the athletes out of the woodwork. Stacy won't find the athletes. They will find him. They will line up at the middle school level with their position credentials in hand. In Stacy's system the QB is the star of the show. Don't tell me he will have a hard time finding QB's or any other skill position for that matter. He will build the model and they will find their places. It will take one year. Stacy is a master QB coach. There are only two things that will slow this thing down. The linemen will have to learn something totally different than what they have been taught. It doesn't take brawn like the Veer. It takes inteligence and learning to read the D. And the hardest part is finding a RB that can understand how to manipulate this offense. It doesn't take speed. It takes quickness and intelligence on the part of the RB. The spread does not have a hole to run through. It has an area. That freedom is what will befuddle many quality RB's. It is also what will set the premier Backs on a course of success. I'm sorry but I was a tried and true Wishbone man. He made a believer out of me. Yes he had athletes. But the excitement of what the potential will be will motivate even the most diehard downtown dropouts. This schools populus is looking for a savior. He may not be quite that but he will definately show them the avenue. They will buy it. Because they are hungry and tired and need someone to empower them. Not browbeat them. If he is gone then I'm sad to see him go. But I am proud that someone else gets to see that yes it is possible. My belief is that the athletes are there...at any school...they just need someone to play for.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FB...you are correct about the X's and O's. But here is the nucleous of the matter. South, before Stacy (SBS if you will for a little acronym there) ran the WingT. For years. Stacy shows up and says we will run the spread. It did not matter what we had. All that mattered is that he said we will run the spread. I hated it. Stacy's second year was my sons Frosh year. I declared no RB could gain positive yards out of that offense. I fought Stacy for 2 years. I was wrong. And my son proved that it could be done and quite powerfully I might add. The point, and this is key for the Science Hill people, is Stacy will build this thing from the ground up. And where there were no QB's, all of a sudden there will be hoardes. And where there were no quality RB's, all of a sudden there will be many. And in the beginning the linemen will not understand the blocking schemes, and all of a sudden they will realize it is much easier and more effective. And we all know it will be a WR's dream come true. That is the magic...not just of Stacy but of any system coach. A true system coach builds the framework and his psychology pulls the athletes out of the woodwork. Stacy won't find the athletes. They will find him. They will line up at the middle school level with their position credentials in hand. In Stacy's system the QB is the star of the show. Don't tell me he will have a hard time finding QB's or any other skill position for that matter. He will build the model and they will find their places. It will take one year. Stacy is a master QB coach. There are only two things that will slow this thing down. The linemen will have to learn something totally different than what they have been taught. It doesn't take brawn like the Veer. It takes inteligence and learning to read the D. And the hardest part is finding a RB that can understand how to manipulate this offense. It doesn't take speed. It takes quickness and intelligence on the part of the RB. The spread does not have a hole to run through. It has an area. That freedom is what will befuddle many quality RB's. It is also what will set the premier Backs on a course of success. I'm sorry but I was a tried and true Wishbone man. He made a believer out of me. Yes he had athletes. But the excitement of what the potential will be will motivate even the most diehard downtown dropouts. This schools populus is looking for a savior. He may not be quite that but he will definately show them the avenue. They will buy it. Because they are hungry and tired and need someone to empower them. Not browbeat them. If he is gone then I'm sad to see him go. But I am proud that someone else gets to see that yes it is possible. My belief is that the athletes are there...at any school...they just need someone to play for.

I figured you would say that and i will agree with you that he's done wonders with qb's and teh offense. I think the sullivan south boy and middle school boys from CH are tougher and brought up better football wise than the JC boy. I'm saying the JC boy is naturally athletic but I'm saying the south boys come out with more football players because off peewee and middle school ball. Take VA High, they run a spread, but it isn't working for them. Look at Central, they had the best throwing QB in the league and they couldn't get it done, but yes you are right work does need to be done. Line needs to get into it and you gotta have a back.

If whoever goes there can get those kids into it i think you have a winning combination, but i think if you look at the past couple you had some bad attitudes in relationship with the program and with parents trying to coach from the stands. You know what incident I am thinking of and it's bad whens omething like that makes the front page of the papers.

I figured you would say that and i will agree with you that he's done wonders with qb's and teh offense. I think the sullivan south boy and middle school boys from CH are tougher and brought up better football wise than the JC boy. I'm saying the JC boy is naturally athletic but I'm saying the south boys come out with more football players because off peewee and middle school ball. Take VA High, they run a spread, but it isn't working for them. Look at Central, they had the best throwing QB in the league and they couldn't get it done, but yes you are right work does need to be done. Line needs to get into it and you gotta have a back.

If whoever goes there can get those kids into it i think you have a winning combination, but i think if you look at the past couple you had some bad attitudes in relationship with the program and with parents trying to coach from the stands. You know what incident I am thinking of and it's bad whens omething like that makes the front page of the papers.

You are so right Fb. So right. You know, it's not that I'm a Science Hill advocate. It's not that I have a vested interest in their success. I guess I feel sorry for them. I mean Soloman Duanna, Isac Kinley, Ashlon Adams, Jeff Green, The LB who went to VMI...and there's more. Each time we beat them in the past 3 years they were huffing and puffing by halftime. And in the third quarter we just rammed it down their throats. I mean it was sad. I've been to numerous football practices at the Hill in the past 3 years and it was appalling how the parents acted. It was a flea market. That ticket won't ride with Carter. Science Hill has a bad reputation for the corrupt official syndrome in round ball and the signs they displayed at the South basketball game about how they stole our coach and now we were their bee-atch well...all I can say is Stacy will run that downtown attitude out of them or they can go back to playing pickup ball. No doubt if He goes all eyes will be on the place. Woe is South. Everybody thinks South has to rebuild now. Not true. We are packed again. We just have to have the right coach.

"Apply directly to the forehead, apply directly to the forehead.......", dang my head hurts.

If Carter has the players at the hill or at South he will do well. He will get them in shape and love will flow. If he doesn't have the players he will not win the big games but the love will flow.

A quote frome the Columbia head coach at half of the South game on the radio.: "We know everything they are doing, we got this one". I thought what a jerk, but...

Can ya feel the love flowin???????????????

cheerleader-ipl.jpg

"Apply directly to the forehead, apply directly to the forehead.......", dang my head hurts.

If Carter has the players at the hill or at South he will do well. He will get them in shape and love will flow. If he doesn't have the players he will not win the big games but the love will flow.

A quote frome the Columbia head coach at half of the South game on the radio.: "We know everything they are doing, we got this one". I thought what a jerk, but...

:flower::flower::rolleyes:

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. If I were 50 years younger, I might get some of that love flowing. Otherwise, I agree and I had heard of that comment.

cheerleader-ipl.jpg

I didn't realize Science Hill had such well-rounded cheerleaders,but now I see why others may want to coach there...it's not a new stadium,more money or better players...it's the side-line scenery! :ugeek::thumb:

Great run for Sullivan South. Congratulations to the kids, coaches, parents, fans, and administration on being "the football story" in the Region the past five years. Like them or hate them, we all commented. Also, what a story in overcoming unbelievable tragedy and adversity this year. This was really a testament to character and faith.

If Stacy Carter goes to SHHS the Toppers will be better for it and begin serious improvement very quickly. My understanding is that the new Topper coach will be able to bring two assistants. There will be some on this board that will remember my thinking that Ralph Nelson at East would be the next coach at SHHS before the Hill hired Gilligan. They should have followed my advice then and will follow my advice from a couple of month ago regarding Carter. Although, I will admit that I also like Coach Witten at Elizabethton as a good fit for SHHS - and perhaps a better long term fit. However, the die appears cast and my understanding is that Carter will be named coach at the Hill - perhaps as early as next week. As far as the two assistants go, I will leave that to others who know local school system politics better than I. One observation that I would make is that there are a lot of relationships between many of the coaches on the coaching staffs at all the Sullivan Co Schools; so, if Carter really gets total freedom to pick two, nothing would really surprise me.

South is still in a position to enjoy success, just not in AAA. There appears to be a bit of a down cycle in talent coming through the system, but that is always hard to predict from comparative middle school and freshman scores. Next year, D-B will continue to lead and the Hill will continue to play catchup in 6A. Boone will replace South as THS's prime nemesis and will battle for a #1 5A seed; South will be a playoff team but deep playoff runs in 5A are over.

Longer term playoff success and fan interest are still very possible as South will be headed to 4A or 3A in two years, along with Central. After the next reclassification round, expect SHHS, D-B, and a growing Boone and Crockett to play in 6A. THS will have this region all to itself in 5A. However, losses of South and Central (and other domino effects in 3A and 4A) could push the Morristown schools back into 5A in this area. Good for overall competitiveness, a little sad for local interest as all the Sullivan Co schools will be AA and probably not regularly schedule THS, D-B, or the Hill. I know I don't like it from the standpoint of losing the great South - THS rivalry of recent years; but the reality is that South (and the other Sullivan Co schools) will, and should, be playing C-D, not D-B. State annexation laws and urban growth boundaries make this inevitable. By the way, the big loser among the "city schools" in this will be THS as their boundary and city governance style is not as aggressive as JC and Kingsport.

All of that said, it appears to be the end of an era at South and the beginning of a new era at Science Hill. As far as my beloved Vikings, I don't think I see an overall positive. As far as HS football in NET, season ending matchups for all the 6A marbles between SH and DB would be pretty exciting.

You people need to get a grip. Johnson City is not a football town. As a whole, they could care less. Basketball is their game and thats the way its going to stay. Just look back over these 23 pages of post and count how many Topper fans are here. One or two? I don't care who they name as their head coach, he'll be gone in 3 or 4 years.

You people need to get a grip. Johnson City is not a football town. As a whole, they could care less. Basketball is their game and thats the way its going to stay. Just look back over these 23 pages of post and count how many Topper fans are here. One or two? I don't care who they name as their head coach, he'll be gone in 3 or 4 years.

Well...I'm one...please don't tell me I'm all alone :thumb:

Great run for Sullivan South. Congratulations to the kids, coaches, parents, fans, and administration on being "the football story" in the Region the past five years. Like them or hate them, we all commented. Also, what a story in overcoming unbelievable tragedy and adversity this year. This was really a testament to character and faith.

If Stacy Carter goes to SHHS the Toppers will be better for it and begin serious improvement very quickly. My understanding is that the new Topper coach will be able to bring two assistants. There will be some on this board that will remember my thinking that Ralph Nelson at East would be the next coach at SHHS before the Hill hired Gilligan. They should have followed my advice then and will follow my advice from a couple of month ago regarding Carter. Although, I will admit that I also like Coach Witten at Elizabethton as a good fit for SHHS - and perhaps a better long term fit. However, the die appears cast and my understanding is that Carter will be named coach at the Hill - perhaps as early as next week. As far as the two assistants go, I will leave that to others who know local school system politics better than I. One observation that I would make is that there are a lot of relationships between many of the coaches on the coaching staffs at all the Sullivan Co Schools; so, if Carter really gets total freedom to pick two, nothing would really surprise me.

South is still in a position to enjoy success, just not in AAA. There appears to be a bit of a down cycle in talent coming through the system, but that is always hard to predict from comparative middle school and freshman scores. Next year, D-B will continue to lead and the Hill will continue to play catchup in 6A. Boone will replace South as THS's prime nemesis and will battle for a #1 5A seed; South will be a playoff team but deep playoff runs in 5A are over.

Longer term playoff success and fan interest are still very possible as South will be headed to 4A or 3A in two years, along with Central. After the next reclassification round, expect SHHS, D-B, and a growing Boone and Crockett to play in 6A. THS will have this region all to itself in 5A. However, losses of South and Central (and other domino effects in 3A and 4A) could push the Morristown schools back into 5A in this area. Good for overall competitiveness, a little sad for local interest as all the Sullivan Co schools will be AA and probably not regularly schedule THS, D-B, or the Hill. I know I don't like it from the standpoint of losing the great South - THS rivalry of recent years; but the reality is that South (and the other Sullivan Co schools) will, and should, be playing C-D, not D-B. State annexation laws and urban growth boundaries make this inevitable. By the way, the big loser among the "city schools" in this will be THS as their boundary and city governance style is not as aggressive as JC and Kingsport.

All of that said, it appears to be the end of an era at South and the beginning of a new era at Science Hill. As far as my beloved Vikings, I don't think I see an overall positive. As far as HS football in NET, season ending matchups for all the 6A marbles between SH and DB would be pretty exciting.

Some good thoughts in there ET. First off, as far as Coach Carter goes, I'm taking the "He's going for sure" with a grain of salt because I have heard so many stories it is hard to say, but I also don't think that it would surprise me if he is there. Apparently the top two choices, from what everyone knows (of course everyone on here knows someone who knows the true answer it seems) it's Carter or Turner. I hadn't thought about Coach Nelson. A few years ago I would have thought he would have been a great choice but with the down turn at East it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't at least apply. As far as Witten goes, I do not see him going. Anyone who has seen him coach at Elizabethton and all that...well JC and Bethton are big rivals, he has little brother probably pumping money into the program (already starting a turf fund from what I hear) and with the Whitten camp already built into Elizabethton, I don't see him really moving. But, stranger things have happened.

From my understanding, as far as Boone and Crockett go with moving to 6A, I believe if they are boarder line they have a choice if they are not quite successful. Central and Volunteer were originally pegged to be 4A this past year I believe, but Central chose to move up to 5A I am pretty dang sure, and really they could have been more successful as a 4A team. Washington County has a huge amount of students and only 4 high schools for people to choose from (SH, University High, Boone, Crockett) and when compared to Sullivan (East, North, South, Central, DB, TN High) it makes sense that you have those teams moving down because of annexing or such and Boone and Crockett going up. In the next 10 years, the county area of Washington will have to either build one huge high school (3000 kids at a Washington County High School, imagine the football team then)or build one more school and divide the three, which would have them all moving down. Talent wise, Crockett is looking to be in trouble the next couple of years, with players opting to go to Boone and that end of the county being more baseball and basketball driven. Boone looks like they COULD have a few successful years much like South had (on paper and we know what happens to paper) but they have to produce results. We all know for sure that this year we all are in the same situation but with all the complaints about the playoff system, who knows how it is all going to happen the year after next. Personally, I do not want Boone to be playing and travelling against some of the 6A teams in Northeast TN. In 5 years if the program is running healthy and smooth, I think we could be competitive, but right now that would be hard. Crockett in 6A is just simply a bad idea for the program and the kids.

South moving down is something that has been thrown around on here and makes sense if Kingsport takes over more of the area. I don't know what is in store for South. Personally, I think they will be very competitive this next year. We haven't found an answer for them and with the kids they have, I am pretty sure they are on here all the time reading what is said and working hard. It's in their system so I expect the best from South next year. TN High...I don't know yet. Most viking fans have been quiet and moved on to basketball, which is fine, so I don't think we will hear too much from them until spring or in July. DB will be a threat, like they always are this next year. SH has a huge question mark on their team this next year, with promises of a coach to bring it all together and players who are awesome but haven't produced results. Still, I think SH will win at least 7 games next year whoever is in there.

As far as schedules go, I think the TN High vs South game should be a pick up game regularly even if South moves down. Good rivalry there, lots of fans showing up, so for the school, fans, and players it is important. If South goes down I do not think they should be playing DB anymore. Plain and simple, South has not found that answer and the look, on paper, doesn't look good the next few years. The Gate City game is good for South tho, and I think they enjoyed it. I am hoping, even if things change, that Boone stays with SH for a game and DB for games. I think that press and importance really made a difference for Boone being competitive this past year. Who knows what will happen.

As far as who is coaching at SH.....I think we all are desperate to know, and soon. I'm pretty sure we all will find out before January goes by, so at least that is something.