Coach Sheppard resigns

BigG

I am posting this in response to a deleted post. I am sure that there is a lot of different thoughts in this situation, but I would prefer that this be kept positive. Again, this is not a board to blast coaches, officials, or players, regardless of harsh feelings. As the old adage goes, if you can't post anything nice, please don't post anything at all.

http://www.oakridger.com/breaking/x2154 ... t-retained

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My policy on this is that if a coach has resigned then the discussion should go no further. After all, once he has resigned, what more could someone want from him? The only discussion after that should be who is taking his place.

We could acknowledge the positive aspects of his contributions and how the school, players, and community at large benefited during his 12-year tenure; the 7 state appearances in 8 years, 1 final, 3 final fours, the 11 district titles, and two back to back region titles, the fact that the Katie Hunter tournament, he took no personal money (unlike other coaches) while attracting the best teams from the regions to come and play (and we hope they will still come) and bring money into the town. Here is somone who put Oak Ridge soccer on the map. When people here only talk about Bearden and Farragut being the top, they forget in order to get to state the past 8 years, you have to get through Oak Ridge. It wasn't as easy for someone to work with a small, close nit town, with less students and a smaller feeder program. Maybe in the grand scheme of things, it was a positive thing for East TN.

http://www.ladywildcatsoccer.org/histor ... tones.html

Here are some more stats, not of him, but of his players:

55 times, his players made TACA All State 4 (3), 10 (2) + 4 this year

18 times his players made TSWA All State

4 NSCAA All South, 4 Scholar All South

3 NSCAA Scholar All Americans

96 First team All Regions + 7 this year

31 played in college (3 are not listed on the web page)

I for one, am grateful to the man for all he did. Two of my daughters played for him.

Thank you Coach Sheppard.

I am posting this in response to a deleted post. I am sure that there is a lot of different thoughts in this situation, but I would prefer that this be kept positive. Again, this is not a board to blast coaches, officials, or players, regardless of harsh feelings. As the old adage goes, if you can't post anything nice, please don't post anything at all.

http://www.oakridger.com/breaking/x2154 ... t-retained

Hey G, glad you posted the link. I don't need to say anything negative, because almost all of it

is in the responses I read. :bored:

Year end year out OJ's teams were a contender. I think it was a combination of having the benefit of good club talent, but also a HS coach who also had the ability to coach girls 'up'. He did not have a kid glove approach, but had an attitude more on the level of boy's football, which I think rubbed a few the wrong way. Those willl be big shoes to fill, :D should be easy to try on though, since he seldom wore them at games. :D

I just think it is odd that Coach Sheppard is getting support from folks who have a huge problem with coaches that run up scores. It seems somewhat hypocritical.

BTW, I wish Coach Sheppard nothing but future success. His record speaks for itself.

Not really. I do have a problem with that, and I understand it is something he did in the past but (1) I read instructions (see the first 2 entries and (2) I think unlike others, he learned from his mistakes.

Then again, should he take on another program I am sure he would find great satisfaction in taking it to the entire group at ORHS. Nice send off, wouldn't you say? IMHO he was the class at that program.