HIXSON BEATS Ooltewah!!!!

bloss44

I guess the question of "is Hixson for real" was answered tonight when the Wildcats beat Ooltewah in the final match. The Wildcats, who lost 4 matches last season have avenged two of those in one week with strong performances against Soddy Daisy (#5 in the state) and Ooltewah. While Hixson has a week before it gets to prove IF it can be a tournament team, there is no doubt that they are one of the best Dual Meet teams in the State. Great win guys!!!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the question of "is Hixson for real" was answered tonight when the Wildcats beat Ooltewah in the final match. The Wildcats, who lost 4 matches last season have avenged two of those in one week with strong performances against Soddy Daisy (#5 in the state) and Ooltewah. While Hixson has a week before it gets to prove IF it can be a tournament team, there is no doubt that they are one of the best Dual Meet teams in the State. Great win guys!!!

:thumb: Dude get real.....Ooltewah is very young,Soddy is overrated this year(right now),Hixson won the match fair and square,but its not like Hixson beat a Ooltewah team of the past few years.Owls have 4 seniors...Good luck the rest of the way,but calm down,it's not like you beat baylor or bradley....

:thumb: Dude get real.....Ooltewah is very young,Soddy is overrated this year(right now),Hixson won the match fair and square,but its not like Hixson beat a Ooltewah team of the past few years.Owls have 4 seniors...Good luck the rest of the way,but calm down,it's not like you beat baylor or bradley....

Congrats on the wins....but I agree with the lack of real significance in these two wins at this time. As far as one of the best dual teams in the state,,,,,, :thumb:

Hixson only has THREE seniors on their team! (135, 160 ad HWT)Something to think about. I do wish they would wrestle Baylor but like Bradley they seem content to dodge the best at this time. They will wrestle Bradley at home on Jan. 5th. If the kids work hard keep their fight about them, maybe they can do what you both think is impossible. BUT I can remember when in the 70's and 80's Nobody ever would have thought Bradley would have become the power house it has. Maybe with Coach Hall, Hixson can renew their dominance of area teams. So let the kids be happy and good luck to your programs the rest of the way.

:thumb: Dude get real.....Ooltewah is very young,Soddy is overrated this year(right now),Hixson won the match fair and square,but its not like Hixson beat a Ooltewah team of the past few years.Owls have 4 s

Seniors...Good luck the rest of the way,but calm down,it's not like you beat baylor or bradley....[/quo Maybe you should give Hixson a little credit. Obviously Ooltewah doesn't have a team like its had in the past but neither does Hixson. Like blosser said, Hixson only has 3 senior starters. It came down to the very last match so you know it was a dogfight. And you're right, Hixson hasn't beat Bradley or Baylor and neither have Soddy and Ooltewah but by beating those two i would say Hixson has a much better chance in a dual meet. Also Hixson has Bradley soon so we'll see how far they have come in a year..... Let me remind you, Hixson is A/AA........

Enrollment - under 700

This was a great match to watch - but the previous posts do not show how close it was - by 3 total team points! Several close matches either way would have changed the outcome. Nothing to crow about Hixson. Hey - how about your heavyweight wrestling DOWN to 215 to avoid the sure loss to Toon, and then meeting a Sophmore weighing only 185 wrestling up, only to BARELY win - and being charged two points by stalling! What a wuss! Toon would have pinned him in the first period! BTW it was the only stalling points awarded in over 36 matches! These two great teams will both have great seasons - great programs, great individual wrestlers.

This was a great match to watch - but the previous posts do not show how close it was - by 3 total team points! Several close matches either way would have changed the outcome. Nothing to crow about Hixson. Hey - how about your heavyweight wrestling DOWN to 215 to avoid the sure loss to Toon, and then meeting a Sophmore weighing only 185 wrestling up, only to BARELY win - and being charged two points by stalling! What a wuss! Toon would have pinned him in the first period! BTW it was the only stalling points awarded in over 36 matches! These two great teams will both have great seasons - great programs, great individual wrestlers.

Yes this was a great match to watch and the Ooltewah teams are always going to be strong based off great leadership from Coach Weathers. After this match I am also lookin foward to seeing some of these great match ups again at Bradley. Now to the comments made by 76Lumberjack on the Hixson heavyweight (Smith) bumping down. This is a concept called good coaching and putting a team in the right position to win the match but obviously you don't understand that. Obviously Coach Weathers understand the concept of good coaching because he tried to make a move also by bumping Toon to HWT and just got unlucky on the coin toss. Now maybe Smith did fail in putting the man he wrestled through the mat but didn't fail on putting him about 6 feet over it with a pretty lateral but thats not the point. Maybe he should have possibly pinned the kid at 215 as you seem to think he should have but he didn't and his teammates picked him up and got some big wins, the biggest one comin at 130. This was a great match and hope to see many more like it this season!!!!! Keep makin Hixson proud Wildcats!!!!!!

Hey Oreo:

Who said anything about coaching? I certainly understand the concept, thank you so kindly, of moving wrestlers around to strategically win a dual meet. That is EXACTLY what Weathers did - and then the Hixson coach had to RESPOND by putting in his HWT. Perfect (and obvious) response by the Hixson coach - there was never a question about that. My post really focused on the poor performance of your senior first-string HWT by stalling to win the match vs. a sophomore 189 lb. Your stands were eerily quiet during the match as they knew what was happening . . . STALL, not wrestle. Why not speak to the heart of the post? We do totally agree on what you said - "Smith did fail". And we also agree on another item - the 130 lb. match was really exciting and a huge win for Hixson, which resultied in Hixson winning fair and square. Coaching was not the issue, poor wrestling by stalling was. You have the video tapes - how many times did Smith initiate action vs. the Ooltewah kid? Obviously the ref thought Smith was stalling, by awarding the Ooltewah wrestler with 2 points. Correct me if I am wrong, but a few more seconds, and he would have been DQ if there was yet another stalling violation. In a state meet, Smith would have been gone. Can I please hear your thoughts on that? Thank you.

Hey Oreo:

Who said anything about coaching? I certainly understand the concept, thank you so kindly, of moving wrestlers around to strategically win a dual meet. That is EXACTLY what Weathers did - and then the Hixson coach had to RESPOND by putting in his HWT. Perfect (and obvious) response by the Hixson coach - there was never a question about that. My post really focused on the poor performance of your senior first-string HWT by stalling to win the match vs. a sophomore 189 lb. Your stands were eerily quiet during the match as they knew what was happening . . . STALL, not wrestle. Why not speak to the heart of the post? We do totally agree on what you said - "Smith did fail". And we also agree on another item - the 130 lb. match was really exciting and a huge win for Hixson, which resultied in Hixson winning fair and square. Coaching was not the issue, poor wrestling by stalling was. You have the video tapes - how many times did Smith initiate action vs. the Ooltewah kid? Obviously the ref thought Smith was stalling, by awarding the Ooltewah wrestler with 2 points. Correct me if I am wrong, but a few more seconds, and he would have been DQ if there was yet another stalling violation. In a state meet, Smith would have been gone. Can I please hear your thoughts on that? Thank you.

I am glad to here we do agree and if I interperted your post wrong I apoloigze. I was just simply responding to the statement of you calling him a "wuss" and I didn't know if you meant for bumping away from Toon or for the stalling. I was simply trying to state that this was not his decision because I know Smith presonally and know he would never run away from such a talented wrestler as Tyler Toon. These are the matches wrestlers live for. Anytime you get to go out on the mat against such quaility talent is a good night win or lose. I will look foward to watchin Smith and Toon at some point during the season(possible match up at Bradley this weekend). Now that we have cleared up or misunderstanding I will focus more on the question you asked. I will give it to you that Smith could have initiated more action (and if you watch the film and knew who I was you would see me yellin at Smith to take him down again) and I think being a little out of shape could have been the problem there but conditioning can be fixed but it still isn't an excuse for a sub par preformance. Also to answer the other question Smith would have gave up 2 points for the next stalling call then DQ could be mistaken but pretty sure. Now one last thing in Smiths defense the ref let the stalling call go and he noticed that and did what he had to do to win. Wish it wouldn't have ended like that but it did. Did this post clear some things up lumberjack? please respond