Football 101 for some SP fans

team69

I want to make a comment and please don't take this in the wrong way or that it is trash talking.

First, it is great to have confidence in your team(s). But, when it crosses the line, so to speak, it can come back and get you in trouble.

All week long, we all trash talked to a point on here about what each team was going to do to the other that Friday at noon.

I talked to our ( Union City ) coaches staffs a couple of days after the game. The coaches kinda laughed at the pregame show and had been told about it before but really didn't bother our team or coaches staff...just thought it is not the place for High School Football. The way S P did/do their thing in pregame, your coaches or your players really do not realize that basically it is bulletin board material right before the other teams very eyes. Union City team never really saw what little show the S P players were trying to put on for the fans during warm ups but basically it will and did burn you to a point when you play a team that is focused and ready to play.

We would have played just as good either way but that just adds a little fuel to the fire so to speak for the other team. Basically coming out and trying to show and intimidate the other team most of the time doesn't work and it was proven that day. .

Our coaches and players aren't and will not be like that. But from the Union City and other fans stand point, that is part of S P game plan and really doesn't work on your better teams. It probably does work on the weaker teams which were the ones you won. .

But over all, the little pregame walk from the endzone with the S P helments high in the air might be a tradition for your school and may not be but that really needs to be left in practice.

I have been saying all year long that Union City was on a mission and they were. They were prepared like no other Single A team in the state before each game by our GREAT coaching staff. They didn't really worry about what the other team did. we were going to play our style and if you stop us on the field then you win. Two teams were able to do that this year...really three counting our jamboree with McKenzie loosing by one point.

WE really could have gone undefeated if the flu bug and injuries had not hit us at the time it did but we were 100% come playoffs and that was when it counted. One of the teams that beat us didn't even make the playoff and the other one we knocked out in the 3rd round.

My point is, show just a little more class before the game to the other team and their fans. If so, when you do get beat the next time, it won't be so hard to come around folks and on chat boards to cover up you before damages.

I had fans walk up to me before the game telling me that we didn't have a chance. Not good. Everyone was nice but just the attitude that was shown.

It was one of if not the best high school games I had ever seen and I have seen several in my time.

Old Pirate says that helmet holding only started late in the season and perhaps the 1st round. As for how it effects other teams or how the SP players came up with that OP really don't know. Jest don't see being anymore than running out thru smoke or any other pregame festivities.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me be quick to say that a handful on a message board in no way form or fashion represents South Pittsburg Football!! I said that UC deserved to win the game ''THAT" day. Now to make a statement saying SP showed no class is going a bit overboard our team played and will always play with class. To say a few on this message board showed no class well I want argue with that. One thing I would like to say to the Pirate faithful, having the bullseye placed on your back ain't too bad of a thing. For TTP,I haven't heard much about Jasper being shot at lately. No doubt SP will be back playing for the gold ball soon and I'm sure we will add another one to the trophy case in the future and that is whats great about living in this little bitty town we call South Pittsburg.

My point is, show just a little more class before the game to the other team and their fans. If so, when you do get beat the next time, it won't be so hard to come around folks and on chat boards to cover up you before damages.

This is where SP really struggles.......................... :roflol::wacko:

I can remember in the 90s when them Jasper folks ran their yappers at the South Pittsburg faithful.....looks like the tables have turned. What comes around goes around, huh??

I want to make a comment and please don't take this in the wrong way or that it is trash talking.

First, it is great to have confidence in your team(s). But, when it crosses the line, so to speak, it can come back and get you in trouble.

All week long, we all trash talked to a point on here about what each team was going to do to the other that Friday at noon.

I talked to our ( Union City ) coaches staffs a couple of days after the game. The coaches kinda laughed at the pregame show and had been told about it before but really didn't bother our team or coaches staff...just thought it is not the place for High School Football. The way S P did/do their thing in pregame, your coaches or your players really do not realize that basically it is bulletin board material right before the other teams very eyes. Union City team never really saw what little show the S P players were trying to put on for the fans during warm ups but basically it will and did burn you to a point when you play a team that is focused and ready to play.

We would have played just as good either way but that just adds a little fuel to the fire so to speak for the other team. Basically coming out and trying to show and intimidate the other team most of the time doesn't work and it was proven that day. .

Our coaches and players aren't and will not be like that. But from the Union City and other fans stand point, that is part of S P game plan and really doesn't work on your better teams. It probably does work on the weaker teams which were the ones you won. .

But over all, the little pregame walk from the endzone with the S P helments high in the air might be a tradition for your school and may not be but that really needs to be left in practice.

I have been saying all year long that Union City was on a mission and they were. They were prepared like no other Single A team in the state before each game by our GREAT coaching staff. They didn't really worry about what the other team did. we were going to play our style and if you stop us on the field then you win. Two teams were able to do that this year...really three counting our jamboree with McKenzie loosing by one point.

WE really could have gone undefeated if the flu bug and injuries had not hit us at the time it did but we were 100% come playoffs and that was when it counted. One of the teams that beat us didn't even make the playoff and the other one we knocked out in the 3rd round.

I had fans walk up to me before the game telling me that we didn't have a chance. Not good. Everyone was nice but just the attitude that was shown.

It was one of if not the best high school games I had ever seen and I have seen several in my time.

I will have to say I was not a fan of the pregame show, but it is the team and the coaches that decide what they do before the game. I don't think it hurt our boys anymore than it helped UC. The fact of the matter is, two good teams played and one had to lose. Our boys played with class and left it all on the field. I am proud of our team. Look for our boys to be competing again next year for that gold ball!

I can't really see any type of pregame show for intimidation or whatever reason having much,

if any effect on a good team. Maybe it'll get in some muffins head a bit, but if this type of

tactic bothers a team or player, they shouldn't be on the field. Running thru the cheerleaders

sign is fun & may get the adrenalin flowing for a play or so, focus changes to the game at hand.

It's fun or irritating to watch at the time... that's about all.

I remember back in the spring, TC was scrimmaging Spring Hill, who were much bigger that us.

They came out for warmups and were slapping their thigh pads...sounded like a herd of buffaloes.

Quite impressive. Whistle blew, show over, Jackets took care of business handily.

Best way to quiet a loud crowd, is to whip their teams butt. About the same senario. :roflol:

This is where SP really struggles.......................... :o:lol:

Billy, Billy, Billy. I am ashamed that you would say things such as this about people. Shame on you Billy. I will remember that next time we are playing slowpitch and your team loses. I am going to remind you.

Win or lose I always try to show class and sportsmanship. You beat me down and I will shake your hand and look forward to the next time. The SP football players for the most part do the same, but a lot of these classless board posters get on here and make excuses about it being to cold, well if we played 10 times, the boys cleats weren't long enough or whatever. Give credit where credit is due, quit making excuses.

This is where SP really struggles.......................... :roflol::lol:

I can remember in the 90s when them Jasper folks ran their yappers at the South Pittsburg faithful.....looks like the tables have turned. What comes around goes around, huh??

:lol: Old Pirate says them Jasper folkes can't face reality. That whistle thay had was plenty more annoying than the Pirates raising their helmets during warmups. Lots of teams raise their helmets from time to time. Jest don't see it being an issue. Intimidation...............don't see it being that for sure. OP says seems like some youngons jest very proud of their school.

:lol: Old Pirate says them Jasper folkes can't face reality. That whistle thay had was plenty more annoying than the Pirates raising their helmets during warmups. Lots of teams raise their helmets from time to time. Jest don't see it being an issue. Intimidation...............don't see it being that for sure. OP says seems like some youngons jest very proud of their school.

Annoying or not, the whistle isn't blown to try to scare or intimidate another school. I am sure that the helmet raising isn't just because SP is proud of their school. It was merely for show and probably some special they saw on the Miami Hurricanes or something. :thumb: Seems like it is the SP people that can't face reality and realize that they aren't invincible, and that they can't roll(or raise) their helmet out and beat anyone. :lol:

Jjuan Fennell 90 was also invited.He is SP's second major college committ (MTSU) the last 2yrs! Some players playing this game try to improve their stock. Or at least try to get a look for a scholarship. This is the real All-star game in Tennessee. Some of the highest recruited players chose to stay in Memphis and play in their local all-star event the same weekend. It's a big honor to be selected to go play in the east,west toyota game. It is true that Terrell was listed as a safety on that roster. I'm sure over the years who's ever in charge of that decision will reget not letting him have the chance to show his QB skills.