Inside the minds of the TSSAA

OnlineLC

I believe we all know where we indivudually stand on the Private/Public issue and there are certainly some major differences. However I would be interested in your views of how the TSSAA will address this tricky subject.

I see 3 options that may be tabled. (We have seen other possibilities posted on this site but I can't really see the TSSAA changing things that quickly)

1) Basically do nothing apart from Region Tweaking and school size realignments.

I personally think this is the most likely scenario. The TSSAA currently have the problem limited to the smaller Public 1A and 2A schools, the representation in the TSSAA from 3A, 4A and 5A Publics probably don't have this issue on the top burner and it is highly unlikely there would be enough groundswell from the 2A and 1A publics to cause the TSSAA to worry about forming a separate league.

2) Multiplier System.

Though widely viewed as a possible solution by the folks on this board, the 3A and 4A schools would now start to scream and the TSSAA would have far more concerns about this. Also the current 2A and 3A Publics would have a new sizing structure and you would see the likes of Trousdale, Alcoa back in 1A where they would dominate.

3) Separate Public and Private.

I think this is far too big a wild card for the TSSAA to play. Though not a certainty there would always be a distinct possibility that all the Privates (both financial aid and current 1A and 2A Privates) may spin off completely. I think this is the nightmare scenario for the TSSAA as they would lose a lot on revenues and would not even want to gamble with a remote possibility that it may happen.

So putting your own personal preferences aside, what do you all think the TSSAA will do in the end?

[Edited by OnlineLC on 9-21-02 9:02A]

OnlineLC

Don't think you will see option 3 happen. If a member school drops out of the TSSAA,they can't compete against member schools without TSSAA permission. It would be very hard.very hard for many private schools to come up with a workable schedule in all sports. Also can't compete against any school in any state if they are not a member of the national federation and the school they schedule is a member. National Federation only recognizes one association in each state. Most private schools could not afford the travel it would take.

IMO,at this time, there is not a big push by the legislative council to change our current format.