Sac fly rule

redfan

Just curious to know other opinions. Since their is no appeal on a sacrifice fly in high school ball, do you think it has made umpiring better or worse? This is one opinion. I think it has made it worse because an umpire can say "I didn't see it" and there is no penalty to him. At least if they know someone may appeal they may watch extra close so the correct call is made.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's not to understand? As long as the situation is right (such as runners on 1st and second, or 1st, 2nd and 3rd, less than 2 outs) it is the umpires judgement on were the ball is hit. Such as a tweener; is it out of the infield or is it a routinely played ball by the infield, or I have seen a dink fly ball over the pitchers head but short enough that it could not be a routinely played fly ball by an infielder, as no player could get to the ball before it hit the ground, called both ways!

The first post said something about a penalty for the umpire, if he/she doesn't get it right. Who is going to say it's right? The team it's called for or the team it's called against? It's a judgement call if the situation is right! JMHO!

I was refering to a runner leaving a base too soon. Since there is no appeal an umpire, in my opinion, may not see the need to be sure they are in the correct position to make the correct call. If they know a coach might appeal the play they may be more likely to get in the proper position.

As far as the penalty for an umpire, I know there is not a penalty. The umpire also knows there is not a penalty. I would just like to see more observations by TSSAA officials and if inadequacies are found they can be required to attend classes or summer camps.

Posted by redfan:

I was refering to a runner leaving a base too soon. Since there is no appeal an umpire, in my opinion, may not see the need to be sure they are in the correct position to make the correct call. If they know a coach might appeal the play they may be more likely to get in the proper position.

As far as the penalty for an umpire, I know there is not a penalty. The umpire also knows there is not a penalty. I would just like to see more observations by TSSAA officials and if inadequacies are found they can be required to attend classes or summer camps.

Just to let you know the coach can appeal a runner leaving early in baseball and softball so before you balme it on the umpires know the rules.

Posted by redfan:

When was the rule changed back? I was still under the impression that if the umpire noticed a runner leaving early he/she made the call immediately and there was no appeal. I know it was a rule at one time. If it is not currently the rule, I apologize.

The rule was changed back last year.