Hixson WINS!!!!!!!!!

denlron

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Coach Laura Wood for doing the impossible Hixson finally broke the 74 game losing streak and beat East Ridge 42-41 if anyone has seen Hixson play with their talent level this is right up with parting the Red Sea. Great job of coaching them up.

How about a congratulations to the players as well? :x

Actually, IMO, it's an indictment on the state of girls basketball in Hamilton County. I know coach Wood and she will have the Lady Cats playing hard, no doubt.

BTW, who and when was the last Hamilton County D1 school to make the state tournament in any class? (not trying to be smart, but really wanting to know)

Yes Tiara has turned into a very good player. She at times plays with alot of heart and is without a doubt the heartbeat of the team. They all deserve credit Indian these girls have been working almost all year round (except dead periods) to make the improvements they have made.

As far as last D1 team Thorough97 my memory isn't what it used to be but it seems possibly Brainerd in the late 80's was the last Hamilton County team I believe there have only been 6 state champions from Hamilton County in Girls basketball in history. 2 were GPS D2 and I believe 2 were back in the 3 on 3 days. For some reason parents in Hamilton County believe that Softball or Volleyball are exclusive of basketball even though I would argue the coordination and teamwork would benefit players of either sport. However, apparently with Dig-2-Win and all the year round softball girls simply don't want to put in the effort required to be a good basketball player (generalization). Of the 3 sports basketball is much more difficult to master as you have to dribble pass and shoot as well as move the entire game, dribbling and shooting are not something that can be mastered 1.5hours a day during basketball season at practice.

I assume many of these parents with the 5-6 to 5-9 girls that would make excellent basketball players have never seen a college volleyball game at the high major lvl. Several I have seen have girls ranging from 6-3 to 6-5 all across the court. Basketball however still has a place for smaller guards. Who knows?

Last year's Hamilton County softball player of the year, a freshman pitcher, is one of Soddy-Daisy's best basketball players this year as a sophomore. From the school here, a girl having a good start on Chattanooga State's softball team helped the basketball team to a district title last year and without her they wouldn't have won it. She played her summer softball in Atlanta and had to balance everything, she also played school volleyball. One of Walker Valley's best basketball players is also a fine softball player and if I'm not mistaken Meigs County's entire starting basketball line-up plays softball. They won their district in softball last year. If students really want to play more than one sport, they can do it.

Hixson has lost at least a couple of hundred students off their enrollment in the past couple of years, that can't help their sports programs in general.

denlron and Indian,

I understand what you are saying. The GPS situation is helped by the fact that coach Crownover is both the basketball and softball coach, and Chattanooga area has put a number of softball players in good D1 programs, but when was the last time a volleyball player has signed a D1 scholly (in this case, UTC doesn't count)? I know that at Ooltewah the volleyball coach and previous basketball coaches haven't got along, (the current one gets along with her though and that may help future fortunes) and that does have an effect with the better volleyball players not playing hoops there. As I said, I wasn't trying to be a smart alleck when I asked that question.

I didn't take it as negative. Not sure about the signees but volleyball in Chattanooga usually seems pretty strong, too, East Ridge, Notre Dame, Ooltewah, Boyd-Buchanan, GPS, Red Bank, others. I'd put basketball 4th maybe among the girls sports behind softball, volleyball and even soccer.