TSB Repeats As North Central Mat Champs

bbb

Led by champions Brooks Gardner (95) and tournament outstanding wrestler Josh Hodge (171) Tennessee School for the Blind claimed its second straight North Central Association of Schools for the Blind Conference (NCASB) crown Saturday at Donelson Christian Academy.

The Tigers roared past their opposition in the 10-state event with 175 points, the two champions and seven overall medalists.

Arkansas (119) took second with three champions, while Missouri (70), Ohio (69) and Kansas (59) completed the top five.

Gardner, an 8th grader, pinned Reed Nicholson (Ohio) in 38 seconds to claim the 95 pound final, while Hodge claimed his first place medal in a high scoring final (14-12).

Hodge recorded a technical fall and pin to earn a spot in the finals and edged Ellaun Williams (Missouri) for the championship.

Other TSB medalists were D.J. Johnson was third (119), Hannah Willis took sixth (125), Ryann Adams took second (135), Garrett Jones was second (215) and Dwaine Jones finished third (285).

“I am pleased with the way the guys wrestled and it’s great to defend our title,’’said TSB head coach Frank Alexander.

Assistant coach Randy Thompson stated that, “Our guys are coming along well and to win this tournament really helps their confidence.’’

Thompson was a Tennessee state champ and tournament Outstanding Wrestler in 1963.

TSB also won back-to-back region titles in 1961 and 1962.

Team Standings: 1. Tenn. (175) 2. Arkansas (119) 3. Missouri (70) 4. Ohio (69) 5. Kansas (59) 6. Indiana (45) 7. Illinois (43) 8. Wisconsin (38) 9. Kentucky (23) 10. Minnesota (6)

Champions

95 – Brooks Gardner (Tenn.)

119 – Ray Foster (Arkansas)

125 – Lee Wilson (Wisconsin)

135 – Andre’a Johnson (Arkansas)

160 – David Brown (Missouri)

171 – Josh Hodge – (Tenn.) and OW

215 – Cody McFarland (Ohio)

285 – Eric Braden (Arkansas)

In a girls' exhibition, Bria Franks (Ill.) was first, Lauri Richardson (Tenn.) placed second and Amanda Taylor (Minn.) was third.

Contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

This was a regional event (North Central)--Georgia is not part of the territory. I can't tell if they compete in a regional all-blind event--they do wrestle the regular GHSA series as single-A.

They do wrestle regular GHSA single-A.

I remember back in HS a scary site on way to State Tourny, the GSB van was being driven by their coach who was sum what lacking in the sight division. He had his face so close to the windshield that you could see it fog up in front of his nose. I remember our team telling out coach to pass them...lol

They were a great buch of guys tho.

Yes, I know all the guys from my HS team in the late 70's had the highest respect for the TSB Grapplers. I was booed at one match for my TSB opponet flying into the stands. I didn't throw him he just knew how to use the "have to stay in contact rule" to his advantage. :roflol: Smart Grappler!

I wish I saw their team more in duals and Tourneys. Great folks!

You have to take your hat off to these kids and coaches. There coach Frank Alexander has been over there for many years. His hard work and dedication most years goes overlooked. IMHO should be looked at for the TWHOF. He has to over come more obstacles every year that most coaches do not ever come across. If I am not mistaken he is also the head of the Middle Tennessee Coaches Association and has been for many years. Good luck to Frank and all the TSB wrestling team.