State Duals

HCWC

I agree, however, it is against TSSAA rules to have a match or tournament during the State duals. I wanted to change the J.V. Championships to that date until Coach Peck pointed out the rule to me.

SO EXPLAIN HOW THEY CAN HAVE THE D-2 INVITATIONAL ON THE STATE DUALS WEEKEND. I WOULD BET THAT IT DOES NOT COUNT AGAINST THEIR 18 DATES EITHER. IS IT PUT ON BY THE TSSAA? THIS MAKE NO SENSE TO ME.

THE ANIMAL

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, however, it is against TSSAA rules to have a match or tournament during the State duals. I wanted to change the J.V. Championships to that date until Coach Peck pointed out the rule to me.

WE HAVE OUR REGION-2 FRESHMEN/JV/GIRLS TOURNAMENT ON FEB. 6 AT FARRAGUT. WE HAVE DONE THIS TOURNAMENT ON THE DUALS WEEKEND FOR MANY YEARS. I SEE NO PROBLEM WITH THE JV CHAMPIONSHIPS ON FEB. 6, AS LONG AS IT IS NOT A VARSITY FUNCTION.

THE ANIMAL

So, let me get this straight. The following are true:

-1) The Duals are now at a new location with some variations in format. Isn't there a possibility that there are some kinks to be worked out?

-2) The regions have been realigned and seeding criteria is now in place. Again, more room for errors and kinks to be worked out?

-3) Three tournaments already under one new roof, now we've added a fourth. Seems like the TSSAA has big hopes for this new venue and environment. As I've heard it, seating is a major concern. Guess we'll just take a chance?

Doesn't it seem like the DII Invitational will be a bigger inconvenience than anything else? Do all of the teams in the DII Invitational even have a full, 14-man lineup? It also seems as if this may dilute the accomplishment of a DII team quailifing for the DII Championship Duals. Wouldn't this breed a "we'll if we don't qualify for the Championship Duals, we're still going to Franklin anyways" mindset? I would think that the TSSAA would want to "test run" the Duals this year with all the changes before adding another tournament, regardless of DI or DII.

Three more things:

-1) If you're gonna have a DII Invitational Duals, have a DI Invitational Duals.

-2) Will the winners of the DII Invitational Duals be declared State Champions?

-3) I'm assuming that the TSSAA is sponsoring/putting on the DII Invitational Duals, correct?

Just my two cents.

SO EXPLAIN HOW THEY CAN HAVE THE D-2 INVITATIONAL ON THE STATE DUALS WEEKEND. I WOULD BET THAT IT DOES NOT COUNT AGAINST THEIR 18 DATES EITHER. IS IT PUT ON BY THE TSSAA? THIS MAKE NO SENSE TO ME.

THE ANIMAL

;)

Let's look at this from another angle. Just try to imagine the TSSAA having an "invitational" Basketball tournament of ANY type at MTSU the weekend of the State Basketball Tournament. Or how about Football? Let's invite a few extra teams to play that weekend too, just for giggles. Same weekend, same venue, same time. No wait, that would take away from the prestige of the STATE tournament! But then again, it's JUST wrestling, right? Unbelievable!

The DII Invitational isn't a new tournament this year. It has been going on for several years, I want to say this will be its third year but I may not be correct. The first year it was held was when the DII duals were moved out of Clarksville HS. There is more history to the reasons it exists but I don't remember all the details and am not going to post them for fear of mis-stating something and then having people key off of that.

It is a TSSAA tournament but the winners are not recognized as state champions. For the most part I believe this was begun as a test idea for a DII small school duals similar to what DI currently has. Because it is not an approved state championship it is referred to as an invitational.

Not arguing whether it should or should not happen but just wanted to clarify for those acting like this was a new tournament and risky to be added while the state duals are moved to a new venue.

No, it's not a new tournament. Neither is the McCallie Invitational, the Brentwood Invitational, etc. Those tournaments are great events, too. However, they don't share the spotlight of the TSSAA Tennessee STATE Duals Wrestling Championships on the first weekend in Feb! You want to know who this idea IS brand new to? To the 24 Division I teams who have earned their way to this prestigious event. I'm pretty sure it's new to them.

No, it's not a new tournament. Neither is the McCallie Invitational, the Brentwood Invitational, etc. Those tournaments are great events, too. However, they don't share the spotlight of the TSSAA Tennessee STATE Duals Wrestling Championships on the first weekend in Feb! You want to know who this idea IS brand new to? To the 24 Division I teams who have earned their way to this prestigious event. I'm pretty sure it's new to them.

So let me get this straight... the tournament was ok when it wasn't held at the same location as the DI State Duals because:

a) the DI teams didn't know about it (since it is new to them)

:thumb: the DI teams didn't have to share a spotlight

I guess it was ok when it was held alongside only the DII Tennessee State Dual Wrestling Championships huh... I do not recall hearing complaints back then. This righteous indignation just does not smell right to me. Seems to be that someone in DI is upset that these DII teams will be in the same building as them, and that it somehow lessens the accomplishments of those 24 DI teams. I wonder how many would react if someone from DII came on and began to whine that the DI AAA state finals occur after the DII state finals, because that somehow lessens the accomplishments of the DII folks. Oh and what does it say that both of these occur before the DI A-AA state finals?

Heck if you want to talk about spotlights, I am just glad to see that each divisions finals are scheduled to start at different times... if only we could do the same thing for the individuals. After all, I know many people on both sides of the split who would enjoy getting to see the finals of the other division without having to split their attentions. After all, they do compete against each other for much of the regular season!

Personally, I see this as being a good method of encouraging wrestling at the smaller DII schools, much the same as the DI state duals have done for those schools. In a time where wrestling is fighting for its survival in many ways (decline of DI programs, thank goodness many other college tiers (DII, NAIA, etc are going the other way), I am glad to see anything that could have a positive impact on the numbers in our great sport. Of course all of that is just my opinion and we all know that isn't worth much (or at least no more than anyone else's, so I guess it is dependent upon how much you value any individual opinion)!

So let me get this straight... the tournament was ok when it wasn't held at the same location as the DI State Duals because:

a) the DI teams didn't know about it (since it is new to them)

:thumb: the DI teams didn't have to share a spotlight

I guess it was ok when it was held alongside only the DII Tennessee State Dual Wrestling Championships huh... I do not recall hearing complaints back then. This righteous indignation just does not smell right to me. Seems to be that someone in DI is upset that these DII teams will be in the same building as them, and that it somehow lessens the accomplishments of those 24 DI teams. I wonder how many would react if someone from DII came on and began to whine that the DI AAA state finals occur after the DII state finals, because that somehow lessens the accomplishments of the DII folks. Oh and what does it say that both of these occur before the DI A-AA state finals?

Heck if you want to talk about spotlights, I am just glad to see that each divisions finals are scheduled to start at different times... if only we could do the same thing for the individuals. After all, I know many people on both sides of the split who would enjoy getting to see the finals of the other division without having to split their attentions. After all, they do compete against each other for much of the regular season!

Personally, I see this as being a good method of encouraging wrestling at the smaller DII schools, much the same as the DI state duals have done for those schools. In a time where wrestling is fighting for its survival in many ways (decline of DI programs, thank goodness many other college tiers (DII, NAIA, etc are going the other way), I am glad to see anything that could have a positive impact on the numbers in our great sport. Of course all of that is just my opinion and we all know that isn't worth much (or at least no more than anyone else's, so I guess it is dependent upon how much you value any individual opinion)!

Great summation and best post on the topic. Don't let a few fools tilting at windmills get you down. I agree with your thoughts on the need to grow wrestling by whatever means it takes. If more tournaments are needed to spur interest in the smaller schools then people should gladly support them or at the very least try not to whine if they don't get invited. I am guessing some on here lump all the private schools in with the 5 power house programs in the state and lose sight of the fact many of the smaller privates are more resource starved than many of the publics.

Re opinions - I'd say your opinion is worth quite a bit more than most on here. A true supporter of the sport who backs his opinions with research and facts is a welcome change from some on here.

Having an invitational tournament at the same time as the State duals is a joke. I don't care if DI and DII are in the same building or not (as long as facilities permit) but the idea of teams being invited when the others had to qualify is not right.

As far as the facilities go, I was at the NWCA National Duals this weekend and it was not good. After being there and looking at the pictures of the place in Williamson Co I think the fans of TN are going to be disappointed.

1. Dirt floor- Dirt? really?

2. Seating- Seating is far away from the floor and not on a steep enough slope for everyone to be able to see when the floor fills up. I don't believe it will be adequate to fit everyone for the individual tournament. 10,000 to 5,000 seats? How is this "growing the sport"?

3. Atmosphere- TN did a great job of putting on one of the better state tournys i have been to. The facilities and the production were top notch and after being at a tournament in a rodeo arena I doubt it is going to "feel" the same for the wrestlers, coaches, or fans.

I understand that the duals outgrew Clarksville but i can't understand moving the individual tournament. ..........oh yea, I almost forgot........ The director of the tssaa and the director of wrestling both live in the area. and now the tssaa gets to pocket more money. Will the sport see any of this extra profit? We'll see.

Having an invitational tournament at the same time as the State duals is a joke. I don't care if DI and DII are in the same building or not (as long as facilities permit) but the idea of teams being invited when the others had to qualify is not right.

As far as the facilities go, I was at the NWCA National Duals this weekend and it was not good. After being there and looking at the pictures of the place in Williamson Co I think the fans of TN are going to be disappointed.

1. Dirt floor- Dirt? really?

2. Seating- Seating is far away from the floor and not on a steep enough slope for everyone to be able to see when the floor fills up. I don't believe it will be adequate to fit everyone for the individual tournament. 10,000 to 5,000 seats? How is this "growing the sport"?

3. Atmosphere- TN did a great job of putting on one of the better state tournys i have been to. The facilities and the production were top notch and after being at a tournament in a rodeo arena I doubt it is going to "feel" the same for the wrestlers, coaches, or fans.

I understand that the duals outgrew Clarksville but i can't understand moving the individual tournament. ..........oh yea, I almost forgot........ The director of the tssaa and the director of wrestling both live in the area. and now the tssaa gets to pocket more money. Will the sport see any of this extra profit? We'll see.

Complaints, complaints, complaints. I have honestly seen the Williamson Co. Ag Ctr for events other than rodeos. It is a good facility. Yea the TSSAA will make/save more money, but isn't that the idea in business. IMO, the Chattanooga arena was too big. This is a more intimate setting, and Coach Blair and the Williamson Co. schools will be great host for this event. Why is change always questioned? Or is it that people have to leave the comfort of Chattanooga to come to the event. I think with the move, more people will be able to make that trip, which will increase interest in the sport statewide. As my daddy use to say, don't knock it til you try it.