Does It Matter?

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Good morning, lasrever! It must be your humble opinion that the athletes at D2 schools tend to be held back to be better at sports. Must be anecdotal, unless you are somehow connected to the school systems, or TSSAA. MY humble opinion, based on my anecdotal evidence is that the percentage of older kids is the same at D1 and D2...at BA last year, we graduated 8 seniors, one of which was 19. Our undefeated heavyweight in fact was 16 at the state duals (turned 17 in late Feb). Year before that, no 19 year olds. At FR, MBA CBHS, the kids that I knew were 18 or younger...it is a convenient excuse for all of us as to why one athlete might be better than another. Again, IMHO.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RRR,

Go to the TSSAA site and read the bylaws. It's not a scholarship or waiving tuition, it's need based financial aid. Some parents may call it a scholarship because it sounds better, but it's financial aid. All D2 schools offer some form of financial aid. That's the reason they are D2. Some have more to offer than others. It's financial aid, not a scholarship. Now, privates schools could work a deal on younger sibling's tuition prior to their high school grades.

If a student/athlete meets a schools academic requirements and a family has legitimate financial needs, if have no issues. The school should never lower academic standards or make exceptions solely for athletics. In life, academics are much more important.

As an aside, 19 year old seniors and redshirting (repeating, held back, starting late) seems to be more prevalent at privates.

Wow, I thought this was dead a few posts ago. Semantics doesn't change the fact that some schools do recruit. I'll retract and say that some private schools (including the one I attended) offer 'financial aid' to student athletes who can help out their athletic teams.

IHSV, congrats to FRHS. I was on the floor pulling for them during the D2 Finals against Christian Brothers. I was also pulling for Bradley in the D1 Finals (btw: it wasn't the runaway that people thought it would be).

Wow, this thread went this far??? 8-)

welcome back hockey, good to see you back on the mat after DaisyMae stuck you 0:57 into the 1st period of this thread.... did you have the kahonas to discuss your concerns about TBSFMAW's schedule with Coach Logsdon this weekend? please let us know.

FWIW, I heard on the street that TBSFMAW wouldn't mind scheduling a match with TFI & CBHS.

Well hope y'all enjoy your runner up trophy, but if Bradley really wanted to wrestle both these teams they could have signed up for the Cleveland duals so why did they not sign up for that tourney, where they could have wrestled both...........why excuses that's why. That's ok drink your kool aid, wrestle the same five teams y'all always do, the D-II teams wrestle the hardest schedules, and that can't be disputed. :unsure:

Well hope y'all enjoy your runner up trophy, but if Bradley really wanted to wrestle both these teams they could have signed up for the Cleveland duals so why did they not sign up for that tourney, where they could have wrestled both...........why excuses that's why. That's ok drink your kool aid, wrestle the same five teams y'all always do, the D-II teams wrestle the hardest schedules, and that can't be disputed. :unsure:

You could of went to the Bears and asked all the question you wanted but you didn't? I have and they answered all my question, I might not agree with them on all they do but give them thier due.

In Hoc, you are the epitome of a instigator and a coward. You don't truly want answers. You want to anonymously stir the pot, then hide behind the safety of your computer. Well before the State Duals, another poster gave you the perfect solution to your problem. Be a man and go ask Coach Logsden whatever question is just eatin' you up. After all, you'll be within spittin' distance of these guys for 2 days. Instead, you chose to keep your distance, or anonymously walk by them without introducing your brave self to them. Or maybe you couldn't find that big black and gold crowd across the way with those Bear westlers and those Bear coaches? Then, you have the"guts" to creep back home and start your mud-slinging all over again?? Does it ever occur to you that any divide between the two sides is only widened and reinforced by conduct like yours? Do you really think that you're encouraging any kind of reconciliation? Of course you don't. You're just another in a long list of internet big-mouths.

Well good for you, but they haven't answered my questions so obviously your questions were SO GOOD :lol: Why won't they wrestle any good D-II teams, especially THE EVIL RED EMPIRE (Baylor) why EXCUSES :lol:

I'm going to try civility one last time. Here are the facts you need to know.

We have NEVER refused to wrestle ALL DII schools. We ceased wrestling McCallie after the split and have no plans to resume. We wrestled Baylor every year and they attended our tournament through the 2001 season but we have no immediate plans to resume wrestling Baylor.

As far as the other DII schools are concerned...We used to wrestle CBHS at the Cleveland Duals most every year. We've wrestled Father Ryan a few times over the years when our paths have crossed. We wrestled Notre Dame in duals many times and they attended our tournament every year while they were in DII.

If you'd like to see BC wrestle Baylor or McCallie, it's not going to happen. However, if you'd like to see Father Ryan or MBA or CBHS wrestle BC, why don't you try and make it happen, since it seems to be so important to you. It hard to work out duals between teams from different areas of the state because of the travel involved but as motivated as you seem, you may be able to work it out.

One last thought......One of your Purple buddies "outed" your identity to me at the State Duals. Do me a favor.....Ask around and find me at the traditional tournament. There are lots of folks who know me. I'll take the time to explain what I have posted here in greater detail. Know this too....We are not a bunch of Black and Gold monsters with a grand plan. We're just regular people who love wrestling and the very funny thing is.....We are very much like Father Ryan, people love to hate on us and that's OK too.