angry in region 7

cmmndalum

Having referreed other sports, I will tell you that the people that stick with it do it for the love of the sport.

I recently retired from referreeing soccer after 17 yrs due to the UNBELIEVABLE amount of complaining from parents (that 99% of the time have NO CLUE about rules or anything about the sport), coaches, and players.

When I decided to get back involved with wrestling, I chose coaching instead of officiating--it's less stressful.

DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT OFFICIALS DO THIS BECAUSE OF ARROGANT REASONS?? What the $60/match is what they are after???? YOU ARE CRAZY IF YOU THINK SO.

NO ONE WANTS TO BE A REFEREE ANYMORE...because you can't win....you are NOT appreciated...and will ALWAYS be criticized by someone with no knowledge of the sport/rules.

There are cases that warrant action...in fact I protested my first match ever in 10 years of coaching 2 weekends ago in Georgia at a collegiate tournament. But after the match, it was over...I had the same referee in 7 other matches and he was just fine....PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES--GET OVER IT.

Coach, I don't think what he is complaining about are missed calls, or bad calls. Those do happen, and we all know to get past those. From everything I am reading that he is complaing about, it more about the attitude of the refs, and making calls that decide the matches, versus letting the kids decide the outcome. This is my only issue as well. I don't care about a missed call, or one that is border line. But calling something that is so questionable, that decides a match doesn't need to happen.

If you look, at the higher levels in sports, take the NBA, how many times to you see ticky calls in the last couple minutes of a game? Not very often, the let the players work it out. The players know it, and don't complain about it. They do make calls, if they are obvious, but not the little things that are questionable.

As for stalling, the rules read "unquestionable" stalling. NOT "well, yeah it could be". So when it's there, yes call it. But make sure it's there before deciding a match FOR the kids.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach, I don't think what he is complaining about are missed calls, or bad calls. Those do happen, and we all know to get past those. From everything I am reading that he is complaing about, it more about the attitude of the refs, and making calls that decide the matches, versus letting the kids decide the outcome. This is my only issue as well. I don't care about a missed call, or one that is border line. But calling something that is so questionable, that decides a match doesn't need to happen.

If you look, at the higher levels in sports, take the NBA, how many times to you see ticky calls in the last couple minutes of a game? Not very often, the let the players work it out. The players know it, and don't complain about it. They do make calls, if they are obvious, but not the little things that are questionable.

As for stalling, the rules read "unquestionable" stalling. NOT "well, yeah it could be". So when it's there, yes call it. But make sure it's there before deciding a match FOR the kids.

I can't speak to what he is talking about since I wasn't there...but to think someone is Arrogant because you don't agree with their calling of a match (or matches) seems biased...this belief that the "ref screwed someone" or that "the ref wanted someone to win" is usually because you have someone in the match and you are emotionally invested.

Having referreed other sports, I will tell you that the people that stick with it do it for the love of the sport.

I recently retired from referreeing soccer after 17 yrs due to the UNBELIEVABLE amount of complaining from parents (that 99% of the time have NO CLUE about rules or anything about the sport), coaches, and players.

When I decided to get back involved with wrestling, I chose coaching instead of officiating--it's less stressful.

DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT OFFICIALS DO THIS BECAUSE OF ARROGANT REASONS?? What the $60/match is what they are after???? YOU ARE CRAZY IF YOU THINK SO.

NO ONE WANTS TO BE A REFEREE ANYMORE...because you can't win....you are NOT appreciated...and will ALWAYS be criticized by someone with no knowledge of the sport/rules.

There are cases that warrant action...in fact I protested my first match ever in 10 years of coaching 2 weekends ago in Georgia at a collegiate tournament. But after the match, it was over...I had the same referee in 7 other matches and he was just fine....PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES--GET OVER IT.

Great job of brining up the NBA Ref's. Let's take the NBA. This is the association that gets paid on the side to Ref. Great call!!!

P.S. Did Elvis ever ref in Memphis?

I can't speak to what he is talking about since I wasn't there...but to think someone is Arrogant because you don't agree with their calling of a match (or matches) seems biased...this belief that the "ref screwed someone" or that "the ref wanted someone to win" is usually because you have someone in the match and you are emotionally invested.

agree, and I do not know him, so I can't really say what started all of this. I was just saying, what I was reading into his posts, versus what most people were getting from them

Great job of brining up the NBA Ref's. Let's take the NBA. This is the association that gets paid on the side to Ref. Great call!!!

That was an example. To further try to explain a point. Sorry if it went past you. Maybe for you, I should have used the TeleTubbies?

while were at it why not bring up the Ed Hochilli / Tom Brady incomplete pass/fumble ruling. That call determined the winner. Mr. Hochilli is as confidant (arrogant) as they come. Refs have to be judge, jury, and executioner in a millisecond. Try doing that in your job everyday and then have people who have no idea what it is like telling you you did a bad job. I will refer to the people who posted in region 6 forum who thought that a defensive pin should have been called untill photo evidance showed the offensive wrestlers shoulder was off the mat. Refs are less then 10 feet away from the action and they called it right, yet people blasted them when they thought they saw it better from 35 feet away.

Beating a dead horse here but if you think you can do a better job get out of the stands and make the calls yourself, you will see no matter how hard you try people are going to argue and tell you how terrible you are. There are good refs and some not so good refs, just like in any segment of society.

good lawyers bad doctors good engineers bad politicians good council members bad cooks good servers bad bartenders good accountants bad drivers good mechanics bad electricians good web designers bad loan officers good teachers bad professors

That was an example. To further try to explain a point. Sorry if it went past you. Maybe for you, I should have used the TeleTubbies?

2blLeg, why all of the anger. It did not get past me. If it had, you would not have been called out. I guess it hurts when you open wide and place left foot in mouth. What color TeleTubbie was it? Your example was foolish and it showed your true side. Speak like an idiot and expect to be called out.

Keep it up, you are entertaining all of us.

2blLeg, why all of the anger. It did not get past me. If it had, you would not have been called out. I guess it hurts when you open wide and place left foot in mouth. What color TeleTubbie was it? Your example was foolish and it showed your true side. Speak like an idiot and expect to be called out.

Keep it up, you are entertaining all of us.

There is no anger, I just felt that I might need to bring it down to your level, since obviously that one went way over your head. But that's fine.

How can you bring it down a level when you are already at the bottom of the bucket. You threw out the NBA Ref's without realizing your ignorance. Please be advised the NBA Ref's were looked into for bribes. Do you know what this is? If not, consult your nearest dictionary.

Keep it up, your ignorance is entertaining this entire board.

P.S. What color was the Teletubbie? All you have to do is roll over and tell us.

How can you bring it down a level when you are already at the bottom of the bucket. You threw out the NBA Ref's without realizing your ignorance. Please be advised the NBA Ref's were looked into for bribes. Do you know what this is? If not, consult your nearest dictionary.

Keep it up, your ignorance is entertaining this entire board.

P.S. What color was the Teletubbie? All you have to do is roll over and tell us.

Dang what's up your butt, he was trying to make a comparison, that was it. Are you red in the face, sounds like you are really upset over the whole NBA thing.