Who are the teams on the rise/fall?

mbraiders

Several teams have opened a few eyes since the preseason, some good, and some not so good. Columbia Central has won only one game after finishing last season 10-1. Spring Hill has improved from game to game better than any team I've witnessed. Maryville, we knew were good, but are they that much better than last year? Alcoa's stock also seems to be dropping rapidly and will Portland bounce back to their traditional form?

[Edited by mbraiders on 9-25-02 9:55A]

[Edited by mbraiders on 9-25-02 9:25P]

TEAMS ON THE RISE:

Franklin has to be placed at the top of my list.

Baylor is doing well this year.

Sweetwater is certainly one to include.

Maryville is not really on the rise, they've been the best in 4A for the past couple years and they can't go up much from there...but they're darn good so they're on the list.

Trousdale County seems to be coming into its own in 3A.

Riverside is playing very good ball, their win over Lewis County reveals that.

Germantown looks like they could go 1 round beyond last year's semifinal finish.

Franklin County is improving from a tough last couple seasons.

Cumberland County, they have done well against weaker competition, but hey, their record is good and they're making good steps.

Fairview looks pretty strong with HB Cothran at the helm.

Centennial can't be left out, almost beat strong Brentwood team and is finding its identity.

Nashville Overton looks good this year.

Anderson County is a force to contend with so far.

TEAMS ON THE FALL:

MBA -- But next year they should be better

Father Ryan -- Big-time, lost 11 starters on offense

CPA -- They've had a tough schedule, we'll see if they can reverse things

Portland -- 3 blowout losses to 3 good teams, but still, they're blowouts and Portland beat all 3 last year.

Oak Ridge -- If coaching can improve, so will success.

There are more in each category that I just can't currently recall.

Posted by Redtwin:

i wouldn't say that mba is on the fall, i'd say that they're rebuilding. They were average last year, and they're bad this year, but as you said, the coaches think that they're gonna be good next year. Give them a year or two to get the new system in, I think they'll be back to usuall after that.

The Farragut Admirals are probably one of the most improved teams in the state. In 2001, the admirals had a terrible 2-8 season. But so far this year they are 4-0, #1 in region 2 5A, and looking good. If people could look past last year's 2-8 disaster, then they would see that Farragut is on their way to being the 2002 5A state champs.

I know most of ya'll probably wouldnt agree with me but I feel like Loretto is on the rise and will comtinue that way!!!!! I mean you folks have to look at the strength of schedule they had at the first of the year. They opened up with Ezell at home and actually didnt play that bad against the defending 1A state champs. Then the very next week they played Collinwood at there place and gave them a dogfight the whole game. Both of those teams are considered to be the two best 1A teams in the state and they hung in there with them. After those two loses they have rallied off 3 straight wins. They played Fairview, in a Region 5-2A game, and beat them at their own place. The very next week they played in county rival Lawrence Co.,a 4A school, and beat them. Then last week they Richland in another Region 5-2A game and shut them out. All these games that Loretto has won hasnt been against push-over teams. Loretto schedule will only tougher in the up-coming weeks but I feel if they keep playing with intenisity they have in the past couple weeks, they will stay on the rise!

You know I think a better way to put it might be that they were rebuilding last year and also this year...not bad. The Big Red might surprise people before the end of the year. There have been several starters hurt that should be back this week or next...also, the problems they have this year will not be instantly fixed next year. The skill players are there and are being utilized...and the other problems will not be much better next year or they would be used now!!! Either way, I'm for the Big Red and wish them the best of luck. I think positive comments from their fans might be a little more encouragement than negative...I'm sure that some of the former players that comment on this board can understand this. So,once again guys that are for the Big Red lets be positive!!! Don't ever count out the Big Red. Actually, the "rebuilding" team last year beat BA 21-0 and I don't think BA has added that many new players...you never know what might happen!!!