The Pain of not reaching your Goals.

Beastin

Its crazy how season after season some dedicated wrestlers who put in hours upon hours in the off-season and worked so hard during season do not reach there goal of standing on the podium of winning the tournament they so often dream of. I understand the "choke" factor comes in at state but its sad to see these wrestlers nit reach there goals especially the seniors who placed once or numerous times but just could not win that GOLD at the tournament they urned to do so much at. Year after year I have witnessed also first hand these kids break down after there matches. They drop more tears then they dropped they drop sweat all season. Some look at the sport and think why did I waste so much of my time with this sport while I could have been eating and partying like everyone else. I commend these wrestlers that even though did not reach there goal of winning a State Championship or been able to stand on the podium that they did what others could not do and stick by the sport and not quit.

I had a senior this year that did not make it out of regionals. I felt bad and like I had let him down because he didn't get to the state tournament. When he got home he received his ROTC letter and he will go to college. While has coaches we focus on wins and losses the big picture is to get them to graduate and on to bigger and better things in life. I wish all my seniors the best in life.

I know as well as anybody this exact pain.... and it is a HORRIBLE feeling! It really makes you wonder why in the world you "wasted" all your time.

It took a lot of sleepless nights to get past that pain, but 3 years later I can now actually appreciate the fact that that misfortune cursed me. I have used my story to relate to these kids that have worked so hard and deserve it, but never reach that goal.

It's easy for a previous state champion to say "I know it sucks bud, but you'll be ok".... but to hear it from someone who has went through that pain and actually moved on from it means much more!

After that happened to me, my mentality was that I never wanted to wrestle again... hated the sport... felt like I wasted my time... never wanted to deal with it again!

Now... not only am I still wrestling in college, but the sport of wrestling has opened up so many doors for me, and has provided me with so many amazing relationships that I could have never gotten if I didn't press on after that state tournament!

I realized that the state tournament is just one tournament.... "State Champion" is just a title... sure it's a great honor, but for those who just so happened to not wrestle so well at that one tournament, it doesn't change your skill level. You're still at the same skill level you would have been if you would have won the tournament... you just don't have that title. And just because you don't have that title... doesn't mean you can't still continue to do something great! It's just ONE tournament!

"It doesn't define who you are, it's just something that you do." My stomach still turns when I see guys take their place on the podium...but it may be this very thing that drives me in everything that I do.

I feel as though it's the low points in life that allow us to appreciate the fruits of our labor. So to all those who left Nashville with a sick feeling in their stomach remember one thing, when there is only one set of footprints in the sand is when he carried you.

Never EVER stop persuing your dreams; the only mistake that can be made from this situation is to not learn from it. Wresltling is about building men...not medals. Take what you have learned and apply it to your life, and if you never set foot on a mat again then be great husbands and fathers. I would never be where I am in my life now if it were not for the great sport of wrestling. I owe everything I have to the coaches who have put up with me along the way and even those who still do today.