COACH BENNY MONROE RETIRES....

FatSak

I don't know that Doug Greene was ever a frontrunner. Maybe in his mind, but it looks like we can move forward and hire somebody that cares about academics and character. I'm sick of seeing all of our represenatives featured in "just busted". It is what it is. We have played with kids that scored 8's and 14's on their ACT. How were they eligible? I understand Coach Monroe felt his mission was to help kids get their lives straightened out, but I'm glad we can move forward.

I would like to see Ralph Potter and if we can't get him, Tim James would be a good choice. I hear the Potter rumor last fall. Maybe there is something to it afterall. Congrats to Coach Monroe, but Doug Greene is a good riddance. Just ask the people at Blackman High School.

Sorry for opening up a can of worms but let's not act like this guy that just quit is a great loss.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by 1. phishdad2 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:38 pm

The bottom line is that these kids are choosing to play for Benny Monroe......period.....

By BEAST27 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:54 am

How many games did OHS JV play last year....ONE. Kids were practice dummys. Talk is that he is gone after this season. Then what? I think I would rather go where a program is building and play rather than take a chance on the unknown. Again, I think the Hurricane program will develop quicker than most folks think....

by BEAST27 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:48 pm

Sophmore kids that stayed @ OHS probably won't ever play for Monroe, he will be gone after this year. Just saw the OHS - McCallie scrimmage, Owls didnt look that good, what happened to their offensive line.....are they all Hurricane players now. I told ya'll OHS was gonna feel losing those players from East Brainerd and south Ooltewah that have fed that program for so many years. Ya'll watch the Hurricane program develop real quick.....

TOLD YOU SO.......GO CANES....

I don't know that Doug Greene was ever a frontrunner. Maybe in his mind, but it looks like we can move forward and hire somebody that cares about academics and character. I'm sick of seeing all of our represenatives featured in "just busted". It is what it is. We have played with kids that scored 8's and 14's on their ACT. How were they eligible? I understand Coach Monroe felt his mission was to help kids get their lives straightened out, but I'm glad we can move forward.

I would like to see Ralph Potter and if we can't get him, Tim James would be a good choice. I hear the Potter rumor last fall. Maybe there is something to it afterall. Congrats to Coach Monroe, but Doug Greene is a good riddance. Just ask the people at Blackman High School.

Sorry for opening up a can of worms but let's not act like this guy that just quit is a great loss.

Why do you have beef with Coach Greene? Did you guys have a run in or something? You say you are an alumni in another post. When did you graduate? Were things so different then? What do you mean by moving on? The program has been moving fine! When you refer to the "just busted" section...I take offense to that and you know why!!! Some kids are not born with a silver spoon. They need a positive figure in their life and Benny Monroe and Doug Greene did a good job of that.

Ok...First off lets be realistic....Ooltewah and Hamilton County would not be able to match the amount of money Ralph Potter is making at Brentwood Academy. So lets go ahead and scratch him from the list. Next, Tim James wouldn't leave Heritage in Georgia because once again the money is the issue. Scratch him off also as potential replacement. Now yes. I may be tottally wrong but I think everyone just needs to be a little more realistic in the possible replacements. I really think that the Ooltewah administration, Booster Club, and community needs to look at one of the top assistant coaches in Chattanooga (If not the Top Assistant). I really believe that the attention should be focused on Red Bank Defensive Coordinator Kenny Cobble. He has been the DC there for the past 8 years and Red Bank has won the Region/District 5 out of the 8 years. Year in year out, his Red Bank defense is top in the area. I feel that he would be a great fit at Ooltewah. He is a great family man and top notch teacher in the classroom. Its only a matter of time before he becomes a head coach and I would hate to see another team pass him up and then regret it down the road.

Ok...First off lets be realistic....Ooltewah and Hamilton County would not be able to match the amount of money Ralph Potter is making at Brentwood Academy. So lets go ahead and scratch him from the list. Next, Tim James wouldn't leave Heritage in Georgia because once again the money is the issue. Scratch him off also as potential replacement. Now yes. I may be tottally wrong but I think everyone just needs to be a little more realistic in the possible replacements. I really think that the Ooltewah administration, Booster Club, and community needs to look at one of the top assistant coaches in Chattanooga (If not the Top Assistant). I really believe that the attention should be focused on Red Bank Defensive Coordinator Kenny Cobble. He has been the DC there for the past 8 years and Red Bank has won the Region/District 5 out of the 8 years. Year in year out, his Red Bank defense is top in the area. I feel that he would be a great fit at Ooltewah. He is a great family man and top notch teacher in the classroom. Its only a matter of time before he becomes a head coach and I would hate to see another team pass him up and then regret it down the road.

I am told Ralph Potter is under enormous pressure at B.A. as they did not hire him to finish third or fourth. In fact, I heard last fall that he inquired about the Ooltewah job and would be interested if Bennie retired, which everybody knew was going to happen except Bennie's best friends, apparently.

Also, Tim James worked for Principal Bean at East Ridge High and they are said to be best friends. Don't count that out as an option either.

I am told Ralph Potter is under enormous pressure at B.A. as they did not hire him to finish third or fourth. In fact, I heard last fall that he inquired about the Ooltewah job and would be interested if Bennie retired, which everybody knew was going to happen except Bennie's best friends, apparently.

Also, Tim James worked for Principal Bean at East Ridge High and they are said to be best friends. Don't count that out as an option either.

I think that Potter is a definite possibility. There is some discontent at BA.

Why do you have beef with Coach Greene? Did you guys have a run in or something? You say you are an alumni in another post. When did you graduate? Were things so different then? What do you mean by moving on? The program has been moving fine! When you refer to the "just busted" section...I take offense to that and you know why!!! Some kids are not born with a silver spoon. They need a positive figure in their life and Benny Monroe and Doug Greene did a good job of that.

I would expect you to come to Doug Greene's defense. In my humble opinion, what happened at Blackman should disqualify him from ever being a head coach at the high school level. He was the head coach of the baseball team at the time and had his opportunity. I'm not going to re-hash the facts. He may be a good football mind, be a great guy, and all that, but he is not respected by his peers(other teachers) and is not a good teacher, which is his job! I've never said two words to him, don't know him, don't want to know him, and could not care less about of him, but I know of nobody that has had a positive experience with him. I'm sure he has his little pets that love him though!

Furthermore, this "silver spoon" thing can be a cop out and I believe it has been at Ooltewah. We have seniors that played football that have now dropped out of school. Boy that's great, isn't it? We should be so proud to have our football team represented in "just busted" on a regular basis. 8's and 14's on the ACT? Are you kidding? Does this explain why we only had two players sign football scholarships? Are we playing kids that would not be eligible at other schools? There are a lot of unanswered questions.

It is time to clean up the act and hire a coach that cares about the school's reputation and cares

about character and academics.

As for Ralph Potter coming to the nest. It would be a great hire but there are some big issues. One being that it is a different environment from Baylor, McCallie and Brentwood Academy. The other is that the facilities in large school systems are not up to par as those in one school systems or even big private ones. These are issues that play a big role in hiring people outside the system.

Kenny Cobble was the first person I thought of for the job as well. I had the pleasure of working with him at Red Bank. He would be a great hire for the Owls.

As for Ralph Potter coming to the nest. It would be a great hire but there are some big issues. One being that it is a different environment from Baylor, McCallie and Brentwood Academy. The other is that the facilities in large school systems are not up to par as those in one school systems or even big private ones. These are issues that play a big role in hiring people outside the system.

Good post! Things that no one takes into consideration! Would definitely be a challenge for Potter! Not exactly an even trade for him. Probably a 10,000 dollar pay cut and Brentwood Academy has to be one of the best jobs in the state. I dont think he wants to come back to chattanooga that bad! I dont see him giving up one of the best jobs in tennessee?????