Another Solution being discussed!

southernpride

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by caesar:

If the resolution to the Legislative Board fails to pass, about 28-32 "A" and "AA" schools are talking about moving up to AAA ball. Several of these teams include very good winning ball clubs! This will leave only the privates schools and a handful of publics in DI-A and a much smaller DI-AA.

That could be interesting... 80+ teams in 3A. As a 3A fan, I guess that could have some benefit; it would make our division much more competitive... except TSSAA will have to adjust to make the math work!

Who are the 28-32 teams?

like I said in my thread "enjoy your new friends" (First post in the thread). If 30 1A schools move to AAA, the number of schools in each class would be adjusted. In the case of some schools moving up and then adjusting the numbers, all that would likely happen is that a bunch of current AAA teams would move to AA which would tick off all the AA people

The bottom line is this: You can cry all you want, but there will NEVER be a solution that makes all the cry babies happy. Mostly b/c the cry babies will always be losers, b/c they focus their attention on the wrong thing.

[Edited by panfan on 9-23-02 11:34A]

Posted by panfan:

like I said in my thread "enjoy your new friends" (First post in the thread). If 30 1A schools move to AAA, the number of schools in each class would be adjusted. In the case of some schools moving up and then adjusting the numbers, all that would likely happen is that a bunch of current AAA teams would move to AA which would tick off all the AA people

The bottom line is this: You can cry all you want, but there will NEVER be a solution that makes all the cry babies happy. Mostly b/c the cry babies will always be losers, b/c they focus their attention on the wrong thing.

[Edited by panfan on 9-23-02 11:34A]

Panfan, you are wrong about the adjustments. The classes will be set before anyone moves up. The request to move up will be made after the classifications are set. That is how it has always been done. If the vote doesn't force the privates up or out, then the 28-32 teams (by the way, the number is growing) will elect to move up in protest to the lack of action by the TSSAA. The only way for the TSSAA to stop it is to change the bylaws to prevent anyone from moving up by choice. In effect, you could have regions like 4-1A with only two schools, Friendship Christian and Mt. Juliet Christian, or 6-1A with only Columbia Academy. I guess these three schools would be automatic region winners! The public schools have now found a way to get what they want with or without a vote!

Posted by caesar:

If the resolution to the Legislative Board fails to pass, about 28-32 "A" and "AA" schools are talking about moving up to AAA ball. Several of these teams include very good winning ball clubs! This will leave only the privates schools and a handful of publics in DI-A and a much smaller DI-AA.

Caesar...under what grounds would the resolution be filed to show that there should be a change??? :confused:

I see 2 problems that this action would cause.

1. If 28 teams move up to 3A, you would have a situation hypothetically where a Cloudland (enrollment 219) would be in a region with Elizabethton (enrollment 818). I don't think anyone views that as fair.

2. Class 3A has 56 teams according the TSSAA website. So, if 28 team moved into 3A. Then, the bottom 28 teams in 3A would have to move to 2A. As it stands now, this would mean schools with enrollments of 784(Sheffield) to 675(McMinn Central). When the bottom 28 teams in 3A moved to 2A, the bottom 28 teams in 2A would move to 1A. (As it stands now, this would mean schools with enrollments 489(Sweetwater) to 364(Rockwood). Even with a multiplier of 1.5, only DCA and Davidson Academy would move up. That looks pretty ugly to me. I don't think this would solve anything.

A multiplier of 1.5 might work better with CPA, FRA, Ezell, Boyd Buchanan, USJ, Davidson Academy and DCA moving to 2A. Goodpasture and David Lipscomb moving to 3A. Then, Rockwood, Mitchell, Tyner Academy, Dresden, Manassas, Alcoa and Adamsville would drop to 1A. McMinn Central and Johnson Co. would drop to 2A.

[Edited by Bighurt on 9-23-02 2:17P]

Posted by pujo:

You would not have to move tyner to 1a because they have about 130 new kids from their last reported enrollment figures.

Fine. I am sure the details would change. The deal would be 7 move from 1A to 2A. 7 then drop to 1A. 2 move from 2A to 3A. That begs the question - What would Trousdale, Smith County, etc. do if Goodpasture and David Lipscomb went 3A? 2 drop to 2A.

Posted by Bighurt:

1. If 28 teams move up to 3A, you would have a situation hypothetically where a Cloudland (enrollment 219) would be in a region with Elizabethton (enrollment 818). I don't think anyone views that as fair.

2. Class 3A has 56 teams according the TSSAA website. So, if 28 team moved into 3A. Then, the bottom 28 teams in 3A would have to move to 2A. As it stands now, this would mean schools with enrollments of 784(Sheffield) to 675(McMinn Central). When the bottom 28 teams in 3A moved to 2A, the bottom 28 teams in 2A would move to 1A. (As it stands now, this would mean schools with enrollments 489(Sweetwater) to 364(Rockwood). Even with a multiplier of 1.5, only DCA and Davidson Academy would move up. That looks pretty ugly to me. I don't think this would solve anything.

A multiplier of 1.5 might work better with CPA, FRA, Ezell, Boyd Buchanan, USJ, Davidson Academy and DCA moving to 2A. Goodpasture and David Lipscomb moving to 3A. Then, Rockwood, Mitchell, Tyner Academy, Dresden, Manassas, Alcoa and Adamsville would drop to 1A. McMinn Central and Johnson Co. would drop to 2A.

You guys just don't understand how this thing works. The TSSAA will take the enrollment figures in January of 2004 and create the new classifications by the March or Spring meetings. Each school will have several weeks to "elect" to move up to a higher classification. They will then create the new regions based on that data; HOWEVER, no one will be forced to play at a higher classification! In other words, there will be an additional 28-32 teams in AAA but very few teams in 1A or AA ball! About half of the 1A teams and many of the AA teams will move up in protest. You will have a math problem finding a spot for everyone in the new "super regions" that will be created in AAA. The better 1A and AA teams will still be able to compete in these new regions and they will not have to play any private schools in the playoffs. You will have 8 regions with 10 or more teams and they will have to be divided into conferences.

Posted by caesar:
Posted by Bighurt:

You guys just don't understand how this thing works. The TSSAA will take the enrollment figures in January of 2004 and create the new classifications by the March or Spring meetings. Each school will have several weeks to "elect" to move up to a higher classification. They will then create the new regions based on that data; HOWEVER, no one will be forced to play at a higher classification! In other words, there will be an additional 28-32 teams in AAA but very few teams in 1A or AA ball! About half of the 1A teams and many of the AA teams will move up in protest. You will have a math problem finding a spot for everyone in the new "super regions" that will be created in AAA. The better 1A and AA teams will still be able to compete in these new regions and they will not have to play any private schools in the playoffs. You will have 8 regions with 10 or more teams and they will have to be divided into conferences.

That's why I propose in another thread to restrict teams from doing that; which is exactly what trying to paint TSSAA into a corner will do.