Another Solution being discussed!

southernpride

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post and a rational perspective of 1A football.

Do you think there would be less tension on this issue if a few privates had chose to voluntarily move up to higher classifications, as Brentwood Academy and MBA did in the past?

Posted by moonie:

I have been coaching high school football for thirty years. with almost the entire thirty in class A football. When Riverdale could not beat Brentwood Acad. The state was organized and the votes were cast. In an effort to be fair to the private schools an out was made to allow those schools that chose not give "financial aide" to stay with the public schools.

What has transpired since then is what I was afraid of at that time. The small 1-A public schools have now become the sacrifice. We literally had private schools go from 1-9 and 0-10 seasons to 10-0 seasons. Thanks in part to the concept of work-study. We have some of the private schools that have multiple division 1 college players being signed from their squads. The only solution that I see as a viable one is a total split put all of the private schools into the same division and put the public schools into three classes.

Those of you that have been writing on this subject are right. There is a state wide movement from the public 1-A schools to do something. Many feel that leaving the Tssaa altogether is better than having to compete on the current very un-level playing field. 10 years ago when this was being discussed I was against any kind of split. The split came but the only schools that got any relief from the private schools were the 5,4,nad 3_A schools. Now the small public schools are paynig the price for those larger schools.

Historically there have been in my estimation three schools that have had access to athletes in the public sector that could compete and win against the private schools, Trousdale County, Bruceton and South Pittsburg. Trousdal chose to play up in 3-A rather than face the Alphabet Private Schools of Middle Tennessee, It has been a While since Bruceton could get by USJ and South Pitt might have an outside chance this year. Cloudland, one of the biggest and most physical class A teams that has come out of East Tennessee in some time could not play with Ezell.

The field is not level and will never again be level. It is time for a total split.

Posted by pujo:

I really don't know.I did,nt ask .I imagine all of the 1a public schools got one.This is 100 percent for certain.

Well surely they have to have a substantial reason to base this on. They can`t just say..."we don`t want to play private schools" can they? That`s pretty lame. I would think that they would have to have just grounds for a split before the TSSAA will consider it.

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 9-24-02 7:45P]

I know you have ask this question alot of times.Someone should have the answer.I do think if you would use a little logic and look at the number of state championships after the last split in several of the sports by the privates,you could see why they would want a split.Heck look at sonny moores poll right now and you will see that the top four teams in the state are all private.

Pujo, the split was in 1997. State champs in 1a since then are :

1997 Trousdale County

1998 Trousdale County

1999 South Pittsburg

2000 CPA

2001 Ezell-Harding

This is the first time that privates have won consecutive state championships in 1a since Brentwood Academy I believe.

Not being disrespectful but that argument just doesn't hold merit.

Also, on a side note, everyone has always bragged on Satterfield, but I find it amusing that his team moves to 3a after CPA finally beats Trousdale (after four years of trying) Satterfield went Gary Rankin on us.

Posted by RealGoEagles:

1997 Trousdale County

1998 Trousdale County

1999 South Pittsburg

2000 CPA

2001 Ezell-Harding

This is the first time that privates have won consecutive state championships in 1a since Brentwood Academy I believe.

Not being disrespectful but that argument just doesn't hold merit.

Also, on a side note, everyone has always bragged on Satterfield, but I find it amusing that his team moves to 3a after CPA finally beats Trousdale (after four years of trying) Satterfield went Gary Rankin on us.

Dang it.....RealGo!!! Pujo said to use logic, not actual facts! Quit trying to be a trouble maker..OK? ;)

Posted by RealGoEagles:

1997 Trousdale County

1998 Trousdale County

1999 South Pittsburg

2000 CPA

2001 Ezell-Harding

If it was just a football thing, there wouldn't be much need for a split. Look at the other sports (especially softball and baseball). It's also more than just who wins the state championships, though the recent state title wins are the most obvious. It's also about good public school teams who run through their districts (in different sports) then run into a private brick wall early in the postseason.

When the other split took place, this opened the door for people like ezell and cpa. Naturally it would take them a few years, and now look at them. Nobody had ever heard of these schools and what had they ever done. Coach Satterfield saw the writing on the wall and now everybody that wants to see it does. What about baseball, basketball and softball and the number of college recruits coming out of these private schools. What do you people expect. A blind person can see whats going on. Look at the number of college recruits that has came out of trousdale and south pitt in all there years and then look at cpa and ezell in just the last few years and thats not including the current recruits that's still on these teams. How many recruits had came out of these schools before the split. I think something changed and so does alot of other people.

Posted by moonie:

I have been coaching high school football for thirty years. with almost the entire thirty in class A football. When Riverdale could not beat Brentwood Acad. The state was organized and the votes were cast. In an effort to be fair to the private schools an out was made to allow those schools that chose not give "financial aide" to stay with the public schools.

What has transpired since then is what I was afraid of at that time. The small 1-A public schools have now become the sacrifice. We literally had private schools go from 1-9 and 0-10 seasons to 10-0 seasons. Thanks in part to the concept of work-study. We have some of the private schools that have multiple division 1 college players being signed from their squads. The only solution that I see as a viable one is a total split put all of the private schools into the same division and put the public schools into three classes.

Those of you that have been writing on this subject are right. There is a state wide movement from the public 1-A schools to do something. Many feel that leaving the Tssaa altogether is better than having to compete on the current very un-level playing field. 10 years ago when this was being discussed I was against any kind of split. The split came but the only schools that got any relief from the private schools were the 5,4,nad 3_A schools. Now the small public schools are paynig the price for those larger schools.

Historically there have been in my estimation three schools that have had access to athletes in the public sector that could compete and win against the private schools, Trousdale County, Bruceton and South Pittsburg. Trousdal chose to play up in 3-A rather than face the Alphabet Private Schools of Middle Tennessee, It has been a While since Bruceton could get by USJ and South Pitt might have an outside chance this year. Cloudland, one of the biggest and most physical class A teams that has come out of East Tennessee in some time could not play with Ezell.

The field is not level and will never again be level. It is time for a total split.

Moonie Thank You for your insightful post. I know ur busy this time of year but id like to saythat i agree with you in every aspect of your post. im not really for a complete split only because i am used to what has been, but that time might be over. I am a huge Ezell fan having went to school there and suffered through those 0-10 and 1-9 seasons. I mean we got beat by everyone might as well been playin the school for the blind. We did suffer for many years and things have changed. We started accepting borderline students i would imagine, but the idea of work study isnt something ive ever seen in place at Ezell. I will be sure to ask the president when i see him Friday.

I would also agree that the schools you named have historically handed the privates their hats and told them not to let the door hit them on the way out. Why is that? Is it because they have access do those types of athletes or is it coaching?

You vocalize what ive been sayin all along if you take the privates out there should be 5 total divisions. 3 for public and two for private, and it wasnt well received but its probably the answer. Many of the small publics dont like the idea, because it mean that the teams that are currently in 1a would not have a chance, but hey you play with what you are dealt.

The system as it stands today is well to put it nicely is "screwed". Privates have nothing to win because if a private wins the get accused from everything from recruiting to paying players and their families. The public schools have everything to win. I have seen the games between the schools first hand and truely seen the amazing growth of athletics at Ezell especially in football, because they have been good in other sports off and on for years.

This year there will be a team that will suprise everyone and i think SOuth Pitt is a good choice they are the darkhorse, but to beat someone with the players that ezell has right now is gonna have to be that any given day deal. I think the split is coming no matteer how much people talk about a mulitplier that is just moving someone elses problem and giving it to their neighbor. I will hate to see the day when Ezell plays all private schools, but its allready happening they will only have 2 maybe 3 publics on their schedule next year, but those times the are a changin.

Again thank you for you insight and hope your team does well in the new divisions.

PS ---i also think the wording sacrifice was great because thats exactlly what has happened.

Pujo and Indian...You both mention baseball. I guess USJ is mainly to blame lately for your whining about that. I can say this...I`m pretty sure it`s an understood thing that USJ baseball players are expected to play travel ball during the summer. Plus they are working out every day as well in the fall. I know those guys put a lot of time into what they do. How are your schools fall baseball workouts going?

I`ll say this as well. There has always been very good baseball players in Jackson. We have Little League, Dixie Youth/Boys and Gilliam leagues. The Dixie program is by far the largest. It isn`t unusual to see a team from Jackson winning a state championship in Dixie ball. I`d say a lot of players at all the schools in Jackson recieve additional private coaching during the year and offseason from either one of the local college coaches or from the year round baseball academy here.