Top Columbia Central Players From 2000's

BasketballFan44

Well, I always like to temper my enthusiasm but this team has a lot of potential. I think, on paper, it is the best team they have had since 2000 or 2001. They have 2 upper 80's arms with Spann and Horne. Slatton and Taylor provide a nice 3 and 4 in the rotation. They return 7 position players that saw significant time a year ago from a team that went 22-8. There is reason to be excited because Coffee Co. is gone and Shelbyville lost Cooper and Brothers has been hurt most of the offseason. Lawrence will be down and so will Lincoln Co. I have no clue about F.C.. Again, I think Columbia will walk away with it if they play up to expectations but that is why you play. Columbia has always been at there best when they start slow and finish strong. We will just have to see how it goes.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Columbiaguy,

I am hearing that Columbia has one of the deepest teams they have had in a while. What are your thoughts?

Give me the run down on Adam Muston. He is down here in Waynesboro now helping out our 1 coach team (volunteer coach). I met him a few years ago and I think he is a terrific guy, seems like he knows somethings about baseball.

I was @ the basketball championship game last night in Columbia and seen a bunch of old baseball players that I watched in the early 2000's and made me kinda want to see where yall would put some of the tops of 2000

Here are mine in no order...

Dan Uggla(cant remember 99 or 2000)

Bobby Bratton

Chris Poynter

Adam Muston

Courtney English

Thomas Browne

Kendall Keeton(yes already)

Cody Goins

Grant Nickell

Zach Gray

May have forgot some people but right off top of my head these 10 came right to me. WHAT YALL THINK?

Dan Uggla was 98 so scratch him from the list. I would add Eric Vanderburg, Kyle Rowekamp, and Alan Lindsey for sure. I would probably add Ryan Lewis as well. I would take off Keeton and Dodson for sure. Dodson won about 7 games in his career and Keeton has yet to be on a team that has won anything. Great players win champioships.

Dodson was also hurt a majority of his SR year. Very good player. He was on the Columbia Post 19 team that won the National Championship. Several of the players you mentioned didn't play for Post 19 or maybe even after high school. You may also be going by position in the line-up posted but if you don't Lovett would be in that batting order something is wrong. Just because he played SS doesn't mean he wouldn't play another position over one of those players. Keeton is a very good player. Helped get his team last year to a 22-8 record which is not bad at all. You have high hopes for this years team but saying Keeton shouldn't be on the list is odd. I mean he did play on Team Tennessee this summer. Very good players are on that team and he done well there.

Willie, I think if you go back and look at the criteria for my lineup I said the kid had to actually play that position in high school. Lovett was a SS and nowhere near as good as Bratton. Also, I am only going on what each kid did in high school, not after. Lovett was not a great player in high school. He was good, but not great. You take a kid like Ryan Lewis, he hit .390 two years in a row. No, he did not play in college, but that was by choice. He walked on at UT and made the team but quit because of his academic workload. I don't know who else on the list didn't play in college. You will have to fill me on that one. If I had to choose between the Careers of Lovett, Keeton, and Lewis; right now I would take Lewis. I clarified my statement about Keeton because I count winning into the equation. He has never been on a team that has gotten through the weekend of a district tournament. Great players lead teams to the Region. He has not done that, yet, so he can't be on the list. That could change in May.

8-AAA Reg. Season champion should get an automatic bid into the regions. Its much more strenuous to win that then to win the tournament in my opinion. The tournament can have "flukes" here and there, but an entire season usually shows what a team can really do. I'm sure Keeton will be in the next posting like this a few years down the road though.

Columbiaguy,

I am hearing that Columbia has one of the deepest teams they have had in a while. What are your thoughts?

Give me the run down on Adam Muston. He is down here in Waynesboro now helping out our 1 coach team (volunteer coach). I met him a few years ago and I think he is a terrific guy, seems like he knows somethings about baseball.

Adam Muston is a great friend of mine. He was an excellent pitcher both at CHS and at Austin Peay. He has been around good baseball his whole life and knows what he is talking about. He is one of the best guys you will ever meet. He is a hard worker and is very loyal. He loves Wayne Co. by the way. You should do everything you can to get him more involved in the program and then try and keep him as long as you can.

Columbiaguy,

Adam Muston is a great friend of mine. He was an excellent pitcher both at CHS and at Austin Peay. He has been around good baseball his whole life and knows what he is talking about. He is one of the best guys you will ever meet. He is a hard worker and is very loyal. He loves Wayne Co. by the way. You should do everything you can to get him more involved in the program and then try and keep him as long as you can.

Thanks for the imput. That has been my opinion of him as well. I wish WC would take baseball more serious and put together some funds to pay coaches. WC has no where to pratice indoors except the gym and basketball rules that. There is no where to have in door hitting nor does anyone around here have batting cages.

Yea I def left out a few...

Here is my team:

1) Courtney English LF

2) Kyle Rowekamp CF

3) Bobby Bratton SS

4) Chris Poynter 1B

5) Alan Lindsey DH

6) Grant Nickell RF

7) Thomas Browne 2B

8) Kendell Keeton 3B

9) Jay Howard C

Pitching Staff: