State Carry Brackets?

CoachGonyeaSHS

I think with the Round House with 8 mats there would have been no problem to run a 32 man bracket with double elimination.

Posted by HBK19:

I'd rather it be a Full 32-man double elimination, but I understand the Time constraints on that.

and, as far as the tourneys being Watered down; the Cream Always rises to the Top, and you Cannot hold down Talent.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weak tournament,less expensive,eliminated from the tournament by someone that was ejected??? IMO last years tournament was fantastic. If you want to go back to an 8 or 16 man bracket then I'm sure you remember that we only gave 4 medals in each weight. It takes about 8 hours to drive from Bristol to Memphis and their is alot of difference in the level of competition as you go through our state. The 32 man bracket does allow more of the strong wrestlers in a particular area to get into the state bracket. When we moved to the 32 man bracket some said that our tournament would would be watered down. How many times has that watered down fourth place finisher beaten a region champion? Many times. I bet you can ask any young man that has placed in the 32 man bracket format how they feel about the medal that they won and I'll bet most are extremely proud to be considered all-state. When the TSSAA gives us more qualifiers and medals as they did many years ago,why would we want to give that up????

Bearman, well said; since its inception the 32 man bracket has been the showcase that it should be for our great sport. Yes, the split has definitely watered things down, but last year's event was a great experience for all who were there. However, I would suggest one thing to coaches attempting to get their kids seeded-please don't say 'he was a state qualifier', especially D-2.

Gonyea...You are right, it sounds like whining. Don't get beat and you won't have to worry about being in Hale's situation. Life is not fair. Get over it.

cbg...It might be less expensive, but it would also bring in less money. I say the more kids that get the experience of Chattanooga the better. It is all for the kids. It will be the highlight of some of their lives.

Posted by hounddog:

Gonyea...You are right, it sounds like whining. Don't get beat and you won't have to worry about being in Hale's situation. Life is not fair. Get over it.

cbg...It might be less expensive, but it would also bring in less money. I say the more kids that get the experience of Chattanooga the better. It is all for the kids. It will be the highlight of some of their lives.

Once again Hounddog, thanks for slamming me and making things personal. What is your "BEEF" with me. I was asking a simple question to promote a discussion. And I agree that Hale should have avoided the loss, however, he did and I posed a question in regards to that situation. I don't care what kid it is...Should a wrestler be thrown out of the tournament because of another wrestlers unsportsmanlike conduct? (I say the more kids that get the experience of Chattanooga the better. It is all for the kids. It will be the highlight of some of their lives) So if it's for the kids...It's only for the kids who got lucky enough to get carried.

I guess I shouldn't be allowed to say anything on this board...I say the more kids that get the experience of Chattanooga the better. It is all for the kids. It will be the highlight of some of their lives

[Edited by CoachGonyeaSHS on 9-24-02 8:06A]

Gonyea...I have no Beef with you. I just hate whining. Especially when one says they know it sounds like whining and then they go ahead and do it anyway. You know the rules of the tourney before you get there. If you lose, there is a chance you will be eliminated. It doesn't matter why you are eliminated, you just are. Just getting to go is a thrill to some kids. Should we have postponed the tourney until Jason Bault(171) of Karns had time for his knee to get all better? It doesn't seem fair that the returning state champ gets hurt in the region and cannot compete at state does it? Such is life. It is hard. It is unfair. Get over it. And good luck to you and your team this year. May your kids be blessed enough to get carried!

CoachGonyeaSHS,

Your point is valid. With the space for extra mats provided in the larger arena, why not go to double elimination?

For what its worth, I enjoy reading your posts and I hope you will continue to post your ideas and questions in the future. Making suggestions for improvement or asking if there is a better way is not my definition of whining.

[Edited by walkenvol on 9-24-02 9:59A]

Come on guys, where is the love? Why don't DI do as DII has done and let everyone in the state tournament. Then everyone has an equal shot at the state tournament. Nobody is left at home and the TSSAA will have a great gate. This would certainly make the TSSAA happy because there would be more fans coming to see their sons or daughters wrestle. Makes sense to me. Everybody is happy from coach to wrestlers to parents to friends to TSSAA. MORE MONEY!!!!!

And we are all state qualifiers.

Just makes cents.

This year the #1 171 from Knoxville blew his knee out.

In the early 90's, Marquise Nelson was tossed for flagrant misconduct (there was question as to how flagrant)in the Region, so he was missing in the state.

The stud from Red Bank (152?) about that time that blew out his elbow joint in the region. Missing - and you can't "bump" the next best guy.

It doesn,t matter if it's missing weigh ins, injury, no ringworm letter, etc. - something ALWAYS happens to pave an avenue for the rest of the field in February. It doesn't make it right or wrong. However, if you only had an eight man bracket and somebody is missing from the top, how fair is that to the four in the other half? A 32 man bracket lets a coach honestly tell his wrestlers that they have a shot. I had one in a slump, placed fourth in the region and he ended up in the finals. Even if it had been a sixteen man bracket, he wouldn't have qualified. I hate fish flops worse than anyone, but sometimes in February a few lose their gills.