WHY 2 & 3 SPORT ATHELETES SHOULD WORKOUT!

I'm sorry, let me clarify. Yes we do lift all season, but the summer is the only time the 3 sport athelete would have to make any gains. We lift all year in football, just not heavy during season. So when you break it down, it is only about a month or so for the 3 sport athelete. If you would read my earlier posts, I have already stated that the workouts should be specific to the sport the athelete is playing. The main thing is that all coaches involved with the athelete should realize that weight training helps their athelete, not hurts them.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our guys do weight training for all 3 sports and I'd say that basketball's is probably the most intense with their jump soles and plow box workouts plus they run 10 times more than football. Football shape and basketball shape are very different imo. Baseball lifted and ran during their strength and conditioning period too.

I don't see what you're seeing at our school. All 3 sports work out and they have a strength trainer that designs their workout for each sport.

Our guys do weight training for all 3 sports and I'd say that basketball's is probably the most intense with their jump soles and plow box workouts plus they run 10 times more than football. Football shape and basketball shape are very different imo. Baseball lifted and ran during their strength and conditioning period too.

I don't see what you're seeing at our school. All 3 sports work out and they have a strength trainer that designs their workout for each sport.

No doubt about basketball and football shape. When the basketball player comes back to football there is no doubt about his cardio. There is however a big difference in alot of running and actual weight training. What school are you afilliated with? Sounds like your coaches are all on the same page. That's why in my original post I suggested that TSSAA iniate some type of strength training for any student athelete that participates in sports. IMO this would eliminate some injuries,

There is no such thing as being "muscle bound". Thats an age old myth that was disproved a long time ago. Lifting weights, and I mean heavy weight, actually increases flexibility in all muscles. You see, even on this very board there is not enough known about serious weight training facts and i've found that basketball coaches are the most ignorant of all when it comes to fitness. There knowledge of the subject tends to stop at suicides.

Great post! and very factual,I've seen for myself the progression of a multi-sport athlete from pee-wee's thru middle school and on to high school.In the younger programs(up thru say freshman teams) the "gifted" athlete has all the advantages.He is genetically faster/stronger/faster/quicker and has better balance and cooridination and is usually more agressive in using his advantages to secure starting posions in most sports.This dominate player is clearly one of the better players anywhere he plays and in many cases is the "go to guy" that the coaches rely on most. Once on the varsity level it becomes another story.In the male athlete puberty starts to take a larger role.all things being equal(by that I mean they all grow about the same) The work ethic now begins to take a MUCH larger role.A decent athlete(thru hard work) can elevate himself above a Historically gifted one.1st DIET- what they eat.when they eat it and how much.2nd I gotta go with weight training!no nonsence/ focussed/intence/Daily weight training!If not daily then 4-5 times a week(every week regardless of sport) with a focus on weaknesses and goals.While a proper "athletic diet " can make a "in shape body" ,It's the weight room that will build the muscle.It's this muscle that the athlete will use for confidence and to scare/dominate most other rivals.I myself have been lifting for 5 years and once it becomes a habit it can be very rewarding.Although I have some knowledge in this area I am NO expert.A doctor approval first/ekg's are very important.There are other dangers as well,,,Overtraining/injury/exposure to steriods.But I strongly believe that a well supervised weight training program can bring nearly any athlete up to another level . For further research try BODYBUILDING.COM(I'm not affiliated)The have taken a no nonsense approach to the sport.They have eliminated questionable products from their site.They promote a drug-free approach,and there are alot of workout programs and diet education.

No doubt about basketball and football shape. When the basketball player comes back to football there is no doubt about his cardio. There is however a big difference in alot of running and actual weight training. What school are you afilliated with? Sounds like your coaches are all on the same page. That's why in my original post I suggested that TSSAA iniate some type of strength training for any student athelete that participates in sports. IMO this would eliminate some injuries,

I think they're mostly on the same page as far as weight training goes. They typically share a weight trainer, health trainer and in a lot of cases athletes. The bigger problem 'these days' to me is that kids want to specialize in one sport way too early. We've got pre-middle school kids playing one sport year round before they ever go through puberty and AAU and travel teams starting at 8U fuel that.

I don't disagree at all with sound weight training and nutritional training at the middle and high school level. I just hate for kids that would help other sports to concentrate on just one. Good athletes need to be shared.

4th block lifting during baseball season is somewhat of a nightmare for baseball coaches. Baseball players that lift for football during 4th block do not get enough recovery time before the baseball games begin. In playing 4 to 5 games per week, these athletes are stretched to the max. I am a supporter of weight training, but we have 2 baseball players out now with weight lifting injuries from 4th block lifting for football. The football coach has agreed to modify all baseball players workouts to minimize negative impact during our season, and for that I am happy. Still, I think many don't understand that a player can't do squats and lunges during 4th block and be able to pitch 5-7 innings 3 hours later. They gas out. I agree on the lifting concept as a major plus for all athletes. I do wish that more people understood the need for moderation so no sport gets shorted due to wearing out athletes.

Just do like Cheatham County did.........do away will all weight lifting all together. While your at it.......do away with any and all brain cells.................oh wait..........that already happened starting from the new supt down through the DUI ex supt. all the way to the board................my bad.

Hey justaocfan, what you're saying is a bunch of baloney! The word i get and from what I have seen with my own eyes OC's workouts are the best anywhere right now. The baseball players don't lift heavy or even at all on baseball game days. The reason they are having arm trouble and stuff is because in the fall when baseball had their own athletic block they didn't throw. They sat in the computer lab and played halo every day because the assistant coach is a lazy bum! They could have thrown for 30 minutes every day and then played halo in the lab for an hour. But no, they just played the whole time. They wait till February to start throwing, and so now in March they are having throwing problems. Yeah, thats the way it works. Don't blame football for doing their job to the fullest degree, blame baseball for being lazy. But hey, they got really good at halo.

Hey justaocfan, what you're saying is a bunch of baloney! The word i get and from what I have seen with my own eyes OC's workouts are the best anywhere right now. The baseball players don't lift heavy or even at all on baseball game days. The reason they are having arm trouble and stuff is because in the fall when baseball had their own athletic block they didn't throw. They sat in the computer lab and played halo every day because the assistant coach is a lazy bum! They could have thrown for 30 minutes every day and then played halo in the lab for an hour. But no, they just played the whole time. They wait till February to start throwing, and so now in March they are having throwing problems. Yeah, thats the way it works. Don't blame football for doing their job to the fullest degree, blame baseball for being lazy. But hey, they got really good at halo.

Wrong. The weight lifting injuries are from 220 lbs of weight being dropped on an ankle and a pulled chest muscle from heavy lifting that sent the kid to the doctor the next day. Has nothing to do with anything from the baseball off-season. Baseball player workouts were modified THIS week by the football staff. That's not just the word I get, it's what I know as fact. OC does have a great workout program now. As far as what happened during the fall, I don't have anything to do with that. The injuries do not have any thing to do with arm troubles.