West Tennessee, Be Real!!!!!

littleo

So why did 13AA teams win SIX sectional games in Memphis this decade?

2001 - Westview beat Ridgeway

2003 - Westview beat Ridgeway

2004 - Crockett Co. beat B.T. Washington

2005 - Obion Central beat Hillcrest

2008 - Milan beat Hillcrest

2009 - Westview beat Mitchell

But more importantly, how did FIVE Memphis teams make it to the state championship game?

2000 - Hamilton, AAA runner-up

2004 - Craigmont, AAA runner-up

2006 - Hillcrest, AA champion

2007 - Northside, AAA runner-up

2009 - Central, AAA runner-up

Did they "manipulate," too? Maybe it was because they were simply better than their competition.

rowdy raider, every one one of the teams you mentioned that did well in the state where "rebuilt" with players who did not attend those schools in 9th grade, or had very talented players transfer to their schools who didn't live in their districts. Even now, some of the best 8th graders in Memphis are considering their options. There is one that is considering a sectional finalist and they are considering her too, if you know what I mean. Some in Memphis have decided the only way to compete at the state level is to "load up" on talent. Are you old enough to remember what Melrose did to Shelbyville in a championship game? Melrose would have beaten Shelbyville with their bench they were so talented. Manipulation is not so effective when you have overwhelming talent. After reading some of the posts, I see some of you still don't get it. Real basketball fans want to see honest, competitive basketball regardless of who wins. Of course, you give your all to your local teams. But when kids are told you might as well forget it if you have to go on the road to play such and such because you'll get cheated, that hurts the integrity of the game.

P.S. On your list you had Crockett County defeating BTW. As I remember, Crockett County was very weak that year and played BTW the regional champion on a neutral floor, even though BTW's gym met TSSAA seating capacity. How do you figure? Craigmont won their game on that same floor, they had two outstanding transfers on that team (1 from Ridgeway and another from Trezevant, both D-1 players who transferred from University of Florida to Memphis)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Littleo, that was a well-written and thoroughly thought out post. I really appreciate that.

While the Melrose-Shelbyville game was a little before my time, I've heard Melrose had an outstanding team that year and beat the Golden Eaglettes by about 30.

By the way, Hillsboro and Memphis Central combined for about 500 fans at the AAA title game last year. But it was one of the most exciting tournament games over the past several years, with Hillsboro winning on a last-second shot.

Do you really think teams go on the road and get "cheated," or is that just a self-serving attribution - that is, crediting success to internal factors (we're just a good team) and explaining failure by blaming external, situational factors (referees, crowd, etc.). To clarify, 8AA teams are 0-10 in road sectional games this decade. I realize it is a chicken-egg type question, but do you think they haven't won because they were cheated, or that the "cheating" was created as a reason to explain the losses?

rowdy...They don't get cheated, they just get beat....

It's just like a rural west Tn boys team going into Memphis and playing a Sub-State game..It's just very intimidating....Some of the times, when the Memphis teams travel into these rural west Tn towns and play, they are kinda shell-shocked by the atmosphere, especially the girl's teams....

P&G, you are correct. I just wanted to hear it from littleo :)

Like you, I've been on both sides of the coin. Have seen Memphis girls teams come to Gibson Co., Westview, North Side, etc. and lose. Have been with rural West Tenn. boys teams to Westside, BTW, Manassas, etc. and lose.

Dear West Tennessee, especially Region 7AA. I am so tired of your bull!! When was the last time a team from West Tennessee won a state tournament before Gibson County won last year? You go on and on about your sub-state dominance and great teams and coaches. Be for real!!! I agree that there is good basketball in your part of the state. But it's not the only good basketball. As for the Memphis teams, unless they are overwhelmingly better than your teams in sub-state competition, they don't stand a chance. Why is that West Tennessee? If you were honest with yourself, you'd admit it's m o n e y!!!!!How many times has West Tennessee fans had to watch the other team shoot 53 free throws and their team only shoot 13 and you lose by less than 10 points? How many times have "neutral" officials showed up to call your sectional game and your principal didn't know each of them by their first and last names? How happy do you think the TSSAA would be if a Memphis team with 30 fans showed up in Murfreesboro instead of your team with about 2000 fans? Until the TSSAA changes the current playoff format the injustices will continue. Until they rotate the place of the state championships, they risk having finals with less than half the arena being filled. The playoffs are manipulated and you know it.

I saw a wonderfull basketball game on yesterday when Fairley defeated Manassas in triple overtime. The coaches from Martin Westview and Gibson County who scouted the game, will probably tell you that both teams are very talented. I hope the integrity of the TSSAA will not be questioned when the games are over Saturday night. May the expression, "MAY THE BEST TEAM WIN!", be fulfilled!

Just curious as to whether littleo still thinks West TN still needs to be real? It's amazing how folks get on here talking smack & then disappear when things don't go "as talked". Westview & GC showed how real they were on Saturday night. I was at the GC game & there's just not much to say about it, but it sounds like the Westview game was competitive & Fairley has every reason to be proud of a great effort. However, until you win at sectionals & make noise at state, I wouldn't go on here telling rural West Tn to "BE REAL". We may be country, but the ball bounces the same on these old country courts, too. Guess the refs caused GC to win by 40+ and gave Westview the game down in Memphis? You don't hear too much whining down here in West TN.

littleo its simple really...you want to watch great girl's basketball, pack it up and make a trip to West TN! Great coaches, great players, great teams, and great fans! I'm not trying to take anything away from girl's basketball in other areas but I feel that it's best in the West! Hopefully Westview and Gibson County will prove that to you with a rematch for the title...be there for that one! :bored:

So why did 13AA teams win SIX sectional games in Memphis this decade?

2001 - Westview beat Ridgeway

2003 - Westview beat Ridgeway

2004 - Crockett Co. beat B.T. Washington

2005 - Obion Central beat Hillcrest

2008 - Milan beat Hillcrest

2009 - Westview beat Mitchell

But more importantly, how did FIVE Memphis teams make it to the state championship game?

2000 - Hamilton, AAA runner-up

2004 - Craigmont, AAA runner-up

2006 - Hillcrest, AA champion

2007 - Northside, AAA runner-up

2009 - Central, AAA runner-up

Did they "manipulate," too? Maybe it was because they were simply better than their competition.

Not trying to troll ur thread but dnt forget Millington-AAA Runner up 2008 (we have lost the AAA game 3 years running..hopefully this year we will break that darn streak! Go West TN!! LOL)

What really needs to happen is they send teams in different directions that way once the true powers from the middle and east dominate the sectionals and substates (like it used to be) then there would actually be some attendance in the stands at Murphy center. West Tn fans don't travel well, never have never will. T$$AA already knows this but if they did it this way you wouldn't see alot of teams from West Tn ever make it to the state tournament. Even less would make it in football. Middle and East dominate over the west in girls basketball year in and year out its a proven fact but i guess we all have to just deal with the system the way it is as broke as it is!!! so since we cant change that how about more the 5 of ya'll make the trip this year and support your team? :thumb:

:roll:HOLD-UP A MINUTE HOMER, do some homework before you embarass yourself any more than you already have.Attendance from the metro-Memphis fans,I'll give you but everything else is hogwash.The reason that the games are played,as the old adage goes,is that everyone has a shot;Douglass over Tyson,69 Mets,Jets-Colts,1980 USA Hockey team,need I say more? As for bringing fans,just as in middle and east sections,some schools travel well and some not so well,but maybe mileage has something to do with that.(p.s. I'm defending everyone in general,NOT making excuses,as I'm expecting Scotts Hill to show up very well thank you).As for quality teams what classification are you talking about? Single A has been represented well with serveral championships, there are not many AAA schools in western division,outside Memphis,yet in five of the last ten years they made the championship game,and if AA is the class your talking about,beat Gibson County and I'll listen.Oh, by the way,know why everyone remembers the events I mentioned earlier, it's possible but not likely.

West Tennessee has been well represented in both girls and boys play at the state tourney for over the past couple of decades and they have the hardware to prove it. Bradford in the late 90's and 2000. Gleason around the same time and again in 2007. Trenton Peabody girls had some success in between and a state title and another state runner-up to show for it. Westview girls won the state in the mid-90's and runner up in 2003. and yes- Gibson Co. is making their third straight trip to the Elite 8 at state while defending the 2009 state title this season. :lol:

Boys side as well with- Bolivar(Kemp,Chism and co.) and then Liberty going back to back in the middle part of last decade. :| Also the 1A dominance of Union City(3 state titles in the 90's and two more in this past decade (2006 and 2008) Games and records speak for themselves, enough said.

As for previous comments on other teams being competitive and proabably making it to the Boro if they were in other parts of the state- that's a very strong point. Just think of some of those great South Fulton girls teams of that late 90's who could never get over the hump and always finished 3rd to Bradford and Gleason and never could advance. Same could be said in 2A the last couple of years with Obion Central's Lady Rebels not being able to get past Gibson Co. or Westview in post-season.

I stick to one of my previous posts- when anybody advances to the state tourney from West Tennessee they are definately battle tested and are well prepared for what lies ahead.

I wish the best of luck to all the teams in the state tournaments over these next two weeks as it's the most exciting time in high school hoops and am looking forward to an outstanding tourney.

Getcha POPCORN Ready!! :D

What really needs to happen is they send teams in different directions that way once the true powers from the middle and east dominate the sectionals and substates (like it used to be) then there would actually be some attendance in the stands at Murphy center. West Tn fans don't travel well, never have never will. T$$AA already knows this but if they did it this way you wouldn't see alot of teams from West Tn ever make it to the state tournament. Even less would make it in football. Middle and East dominate over the west in girls basketball year in and year out its a proven fact but i guess we all have to just deal with the system the way it is as broke as it is!!! so since we cant change that how about more the 5 of ya'll make the trip this year and support your team? :thumb:

:roll:HOLD-UP A MINUTE HOMER, do some homework before you embarass yourself any more than you already have.Attendance from the metro-Memphis fans,I'll give you but everything else is hogwash.The reason that the games are played,as the old adage goes,is that everyone has a shot;Douglass over Tyson,69 Mets,Jets-Colts,1980 USA Hockey team,need I say more? As for bringing fans,just as in middle and east sections,some schools travel well and some not so well,but maybe mileage has something to do with that.(p.s. I'm defending everyone in general,NOT making excuses,as I'm expecting Scotts Hill to show up very well thank you).As for quality teams what classification are you talking about? Single A has been represented well with serveral championships, there are not many AAA schools in western division,outside Memphis,yet in five of the last ten years they made the championship game,and if AA is the class your talking about,beat Gibson County and I'll listen.Oh, by the way,know why everyone remembers the events I mentioned earlier, it's possible but not likely.

When Jackson County was in AA they won it the last 4 years in a row thats back to back to back to back for those of you that can't count. Along the way Gibson County was there and got beat every time they faced Jackson County so how about you come an beat Jackson County and then WE'LL TALK! :blush:

midtenn,

I looked at the past champions on the TSSAA website and I am pretty sure that 00,01,02, & 03 would be the 4 years you are talking about where Jackson County was AA and in the state championship game. Gibson County was only up there in 03 and didn't play Jackson County. :thumb:

Ready to catch the punt.....

midtenn,

I looked at the past champions on the TSSAA website and I am pretty sure that 00,01,02, & 03 would be the 4 years you are talking about where Jackson County was AA and in the state championship game. Gibson County was only up there in 03 and didn't play Jackson County. :thumb:

Ready to catch the punt.....

My bad so what your sayin is they were like your team and not even good enough to make it far enough to even play us I gotcha. How's the softball games in Overton County? LA witnessed greatness during that run. We sent you to the dugout just about every year didn't we?