White Station vs Dyer County

Icy

Memphis teams aren't afraid of Rural West Teams. All the top AAA teams played a National Schedule and a game in Newbern is something I'm sure no coach will turn down if offered. I think Dyer County might of been the one avoiding Memphis.

No...no...no... they put Lausanne on the schedule this year.

Note: The following post is NOT intended to bash Dyer County, quite the contrary.

I have much respect and admiration for Dyer County's basketball program. Their teams are known to play with a ton of heart and determination! Plus, they enjoy TREMENDOUS support from their community. :thumb:

-----------------------------------------------------

Lausanne is a good start but, let's face it-- they are a Private School. No offense, but everyone around here knows that Private School basketball in Memphis is nowhere near as tough as Public School competition, particularly AAA.

Now that Dyer County is playing in AAA, they desperately need to significantly toughen up its regular-season schedule, every year. Such scheduling needs to become the norm. As someone else suggested, they also need to enter tougher (Interstate) Holiday tournaments.

I read that DC has a very young team and, therefore, is expected to be good for the next few years. Well, that is wonderful and bodes well for the continued success of the program. Some have even projected, as a result of the youth and talent, that DC will crack the State Tournament a time or two, within the next few years. That's great, too (and I'm being 100% sincere, btw).

Here's the "Dark-Cloud Cover" that's looming over Dyer County:

AAA basketball in Memphis is ALWAYS King of the City. It is a totally different animal from AA. It guaranteed to be the hot-bed for some of the best basketball in the entire State and, arguably the Nation! Size, talent, skill, athleticism and depth are almost a given.

Every single year, there are 2 or 3 "young teams" around Memphis that are just another year or two away from dominance: This year, it's Melrose --they were "young" last year. East and Central are both young this year. Next year, they'll be more experience. Of course, the hold-over "experienced" teams will still be there.... (Note: That undefeated, State-Championship AAA Mphs Hamilton team -- they were "very good" their Sophomore year; "scary-good," but inexperienced their Junior year....the rest if History)

Here is my point:

Dyer County must go thru Memphis EVERY single year, in order to get into the State Tournament! Therefore, they must be equally prepared and "battle-tested."

DC's youthful team is guaranteed to meet up with an equally youth-to-experienced AAA squad, from Memphis. Those Memphis teams will be guaranteed to be battle-tested, both from the rigors of local competition and National competition. If Dyer County realistically expects to be able to actually beat (not just compete) the AAA Mphs teams in Sub-State next year, the year after, etc..... then DC absolutely-positively MUST schedule tougher competition. That is the only way DC is going to be able to level the playing-field, IMHO, and be able to get thru Memphis and onto the State Tournament.

------------------------------------------------

Side note: As everyone knows, tougher scheduling brings about more total losses..... Will the DC faithful be prepared, pschylogically, to accept more annual losses - at the benefit of a more "tested," tournament-ready team?

Nice Post, got 1 argument though... Bold print after side note.... NOT NECESSARILY TRUE!!! If you play well enough you might take out some of these tougher games, but I see what you are saying a tougher schedule could mean more losses, but then again it might not. That's why they play the games! Dyer County is ready to play in the heart of Memphis.. that is a proven FACT now! Would they lose to say Melrose, Ridgeway, White Station, Southwind, or Central? Maybe, but would they put up a fight??? YES!!! The talent level in Memphis is at a different level than rural West TN, but if you look back to last night DC is a pretty talented team that doesn't get the same coverage of Memphis schools due to smaller city and the level of competition played.

Yankees, you always post great stuff. I'm with you on that why would you want to call a team overrated. White Station has a good program always has always will, but Dyer County is an established AA program starting to play with the BIG BOYS of Memphis AAA and the nation. White Station is a nationally ranked team!!! Dyer County played within 5 points of this nationally ranked team... let me say that again NATIONALLY ranked team. Joe Jackson is the real deal. I'm a DC fan and I have Joe play in many games. He is the real deal. To be honest, Dyer County altered Joe's game. Joe didn't have an off night. Dyer County made other players around Joe beat them. Joe wouldn't have scored 19 if it weren't for free-throws some cheap (hand checks) and others rightful. Great game! Dyer County proved something to alot of people that they belong! Trust me Dyer County will be back. I say schedule Melrose next season and show everyone what Dyer County is about.

SIDE NOTE: Remember when that guy talked about in Camp Dyer County played White Station and lost by 5 points? Does that mean Dyer County and White Station both didn't improve any or does it mean they both improved the same amount??

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good posts yankee and Trader.....I for one can say I think playing UP for DC is the way to go.....Yankees knows me VERY well and he knows I for one KNOW what AAA in Memphis is like......a meat grinder...hahaha!!! Some very good programs in Memphis.....I don't think WS or JJ is overraated....AT ALL .

You sure do seem to know your basketball, Ms. ADsMom!!!!!! :thumb:

Nice Post, got 1 argument though... Bold print after side note.... NOT NECESSARILY TRUE!!! If you play well enough you might take out some of these tougher games, but I see what you are saying a tougher schedule could mean more losses, but then again it might not.

You are 100% correct, beavo5.

Thanks for pointing out my mis-statement. :thumb:

I clearly should have qualified my point by saying something like, "tougher scheduling is more likely to bring about more losses."

Well when you do the math I guess it would mean they got better at the same rate. I think DC made a wise move in not scheduling a bunch of good Memphis teams this year, because with their youth they can go from nearly defeating White Station to losing to Lausanne and I believe they were a .500 team. With another summer to get better Dyer County will be up there, but while teams like Ridgeway, Germantown, and Craigmont will take a step back every other Memphis team won't. Southwind, Central, East return alot of core players and I believe if White Station can get some contributions out of some of their younger PGs then they won't fall off too far either!

Jodyjoe,

I'm of the understanding Laron Black will be attending WS next season. They will certainly take a step back but they ain't going anywhere. Black may be a freshman next season but he could very well be the best frosh in the entire country. Andre Hollins, Nino Johnson, Marvin Willimas, and supre frosh Black will be the making of another good team.......not enough to win it all but they will compete and win there share of games.....assuming Black actually goes to WS. I don't know enough about Gates and Tucker.

I forgot about him(I don't know how), but his Mom is a teacher there, and its between them and Wooddale. While Dre'sean Looney and Leron Black would be a nice duo I think, unless Black mom changes her job or affects the decision, he'll end up with White Station.

Nino Johnson

Marvin Williams

Leron Black

Andre Hollins

?????

Solid starting 5 will be very thin on the bench and Coach Patino will have to progress as a Coach.

I forgot about him(I don't know how), but his Mom is a teacher there, and its between them and Wooddale. While Dre'sean Looney and Leron Black would be a nice duo I think, unless Black mom changes her job or affects the decision, he'll end up with White Station.

Nino Johnson

Marvin Williams

Leron Black

Andre Hollins

?????

Solid starting 5 will be very thin on the bench and Coach Patino will have to progress as a Coach.

Haha Maybe Looney will transfer back to WS...

Nino Johnson

Marvin Williams

Leron Black

Andre Hollins

?????

Hollins kid is really good...he is just solid was VERY impressed with him :thumb:

Nino Johnson

Marvin Williams

Leron Black

Andre Hollins

?????

Hollins kid is really good...he is just solid was VERY impressed with him :thumb:

Yea he is a pretty good player...Sometimes he will disappear and just go through the motions..but he can shoot the 3 and he has had some of the best dunks I've seen this year..I'm hoping that he can improve his ball handling by next year and he will be alright..

Nino Johnson

Marvin Williams

Leron Black

Andre Hollins

?????

Yea he is a pretty good player...Sometimes he will disappear and just go through the motions..but he can shoot the 3 and he has had some of the best dunks I've seen this year..I'm hoping that he can improve his ball handling by next year and he will be alright..

He played real well last night.....if he could play like that and not "disappear" he will do well.....work through summer and he will really shine next season..:blush: To me he held that team together A lot last night