Oliver Springs and TSSAA

downtown247

I heard a rumor that Oliver Springs is no longer allowed to host tournament games due to a lack of proper seating. Does this rule apply to the sub state game that they SHOULD be allowed to host since they won their region? If it is true then this rule is ridiculous! This is another obvious attempt by TSSAA to make as much money as possible by forcing a venue change due to number of seats! For a single A school OS has good seating.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That rule has been in place for sometime now. In 2004 and 2005 Powell's girls played their substate games at Central and Halls. Pigeon Forge played Catholic at Sevier County in 2006. I'm sure there are other cases of this happening. Where will they play the game at?

I know the rule has been in place for a while now, but it seems a bit much since OS added an entire section of bleachers approximately 20 rows high behind one of the baskets about 10 years ago. They would add more but they don't have anywhere to put them. It just seems like TSSAA is punishing the kids for something they have no control over. That gym will seat roughly 1,000 people .I don't know where they will play the game. But they should be playing in Terry Hacker Gymnasium!

I could very well be wrong on this but I believe it has to do with paper work. The rule is a legit rule (if I had traveled to Cloudland and gotten there and the fire marshall said it was full sorry. I would be looking to get 30 bucks of gas money from there one way or the other... But for this Sub-State it should not matter because the game is so far away that the visiting team probably would not travel enough to overcrowd it that badly. To punish a group because of false or forgotten paper work is simply punishing the playes, coaches, and fans. I do not understand all the rules but I believe you are allowed to get it approved to host sub-state games even with a gym smaller than what is "required". You just have to get it pre-approved. Remember Oliver Springs hosted a Sub-State back in 1998 I believe it was. This was before the gym was re-done with new seating. It was also when Oliver Springs was AA and seating was even a bigger issue because while OS has a lot of fan support now, it was crazy back then. We were not punished then.

I know that teams can ask for a waver this year and it be granted, I think it is great they get to host whomever it is. They should. I think it is wonderful that any kid gets to enjoy their successes at home they have earned it.

First of all I think the number for Single A is around the (1000, 1100) somewhere in that range, there are not to many true single A schools across the state can accommodate that number. there are some that have been another classification during some classifications changes from time to time but kids prepare hard to earn that right to play at home but the T$$AA can't make enough money so they make those team go to an unknown venue to play which is not a home game by no means no matter how many times you play there in a season.

I also have heard the TSSAA has conducted a survey of schools for their seating, I think in all classifications and for some reason they are granting wavers this year strange.

Are you (TSSAA) bending or changing rules midstream or finally waking up and letting the kids enjoy the fruits of their labor.??????

Are you (TSSAA) bending or changing rules midstream or finally waking up and letting the kids enjoy the fruits of their labor.??????
Ha, ha, ha. You said TSSAA and something sensible within the same sentence. You should know that common sense, logic and TSSAA do not go well together.

I heard this year TSSAA made Clarkrange play at Gordonsville and they are on probation for 3 years for playing game at home and lying about seating then RBS said they got a wavier to play at home had they won region this year and it same size as C'range, so something matter with this picture, and OS was rumored to turn in C'range and then they got turned in. I believe a rule should apply to all the same way, why put one school on probation and give wavier to another to break same rule.

OS turned in Cloudland then turned in Clarkrange? why in the world would they turn in other schools when they don't have seating capacity themselves. Does this make sense? Folks I really don't think anybody from OS (at least coaches who actually know about the rule) turned these schools in. Anyway it's really a dumb rule, I've been to a few sub-state games and really, there are larger crowds at district and regional games because there are more than 2 local teams playing. Sub-state games ( at least in our case) teams have to travel a pretty good distance to the game and the visitors usually don't bring large crowds, plus again only 2 teams are playing. Now I'm hearing the TSSAA is giving waivers to schools to host sub-state games when their gym doesn't have have a seating capacity of 1000. What is this? If you ask permission its ok? Do you know the TSSAA has a website the average person can access to log their concerns, I really think it would be more productive to drop them a line, than bashing a school because some folks THINK they turned them in, who knows if enough people express their concern about this situation maybe the TSSAA will re-think these senseless probation's. I sent them an e-mail myself and actually got a response. But you've got to use a little tact, if you get on there bashing them I doubt you will get any results. Oh, by the way the response to my e-mail was " we'll look into it", I didn't think much about it either until I heard about this wavier stuff, who knows.