D2 Basketball Championship games

Bighurt

What TV stations are showing the championship games tomorrow?

I will answer my own questions - none. Every year I bring this up and every year the answer is the same.

If the shoe were on the other foot - D2 championship games were shown and D1 games were not shown, can you imagine the uproar?

JMHO

I threw an absolute fit to our local TV station that was carrying all the DI football games and not the DII (as a point of reference, no one in this city in DI championships, but our only city team playing in the state championship was in DII). They listened and it was televised the last minute - somehow there was no feed from TSSAA and they "did not realize there was any interest" - They did after I got done with them !

Guess TSSAA needs to hear that people want to see it ? You know how much they listen to the

concerns of DII people :D

Looked back and found my response from Matthew Gillespee of TSSAA regarding football broadcast:

"There actually is no charge for the audio or videostream.

Completely free.

I wish we were broadcasting every game. This is the first

year we've had any interest from TV for DII at all, and

obviously that's the 2nd game. Basic reason it's not

broadcast, is there's noone that's expressed interest to

us to do so. If they do, we'll gladly try to get all

games on TV. We'd love to see it as much as you. Believe

me.

Let me know if you have any additional questions or

concerns."

If TSSAA has the feeds available, then it seems like maybe it is the local TV stations that need to hear from the DII people.

First of all, Matthew Gillespie's reponse is typical for a "political" position - I won't do anything unless someone complains.

Secondly, do you think that DI "people" have to call the local TV stations to get their championship games broadcast?

Again, JMHO.

I suspect it is the local TV station, not TSSAA, that controls local television programming. I also suspect that the local TV station that considers whether to broadcast DII basketball championship games has to consider things like (1) network broadcast requirements, including other sporting events, for the Saturday of the games, and (2) expectations of advertisers who are paying for Saturday advertising slots.

Come on, BH, quit looking for something to gripe at TSSAA about. The people who run local TV stations aren't ignorant. I'm sure they know they can get the feeds for these games if they want them. But if they decide that more of their viewers and advertisers would rather see Andy and Barney reruns, there's not anything TSSAA can do about it.

I suspect it is the local TV station, not TSSAA, that controls local television programming. I also suspect that the local TV station that considers whether to broadcast DII basketball championship games has to consider things like (1) network broadcast requirements, including other sporting events, for the Saturday of the games, and (2) expectations of advertisers who are paying for Saturday advertising slots.

Come on, BH, quit looking for something to gripe at TSSAA about. The people who run local TV stations aren't ignorant. I'm sure they know they can get the feeds for these games if they want them. But if they decide that more of their viewers and advertisers would rather see Andy and Barney reruns, there's not anything TSSAA can do about it.

I have to agree to disagree with you. The TSSAA can say what you are doing is unfair to our D2 member schools and broadcast all the championship games or broadcast none of the championship games - football and basketball.

Not that big a deal. I think the TSSAA should deal all its member school equally but I think D2 schools are often ignored.

JMHO

The people who run local TV stations aren't ignorant. I'm sure they know they can get the feeds for these games if they want them. But if they decide that more of their viewers and advertisers would rather see Andy and Barney reruns, there's not anything TSSAA can do about it.

The people who run the TV stations did choose to put the DI-A and DI-AA games up against the SEC basketball tournament. I can't imagine advertisers knocking the door down to get slots today. Maybe they were hoping that Brittany Jackson woud be doing the play-by-play in her skimpies...

6a01157091e704970b012876678433970c-800wi

Checked with our local TV station - the feed was not available from TSSAA

ABC network:

Chattanooga:WTVC (Ch. 9)and Chattanooga City Guide

Jackson:WBBJ (Ch. 7)

Kingsport:WKPT (Ch. 19)

Knoxville:WATE (Ch. 6)and Knoxville City Guide

Memphis:WPTY (Ch. 24)and Memphis City Guide

Nashville:WKRN (Ch. 2)and Nashville City Guide

CBS network:

Chattanooga:WDEF (Ch. 12)and Chattanooga City Guide

Johnson City:WJHL (Ch. 11)and Johnson City City Guide

Knoxville:WVLT (Ch. 8)and Knoxville City Guide

Memphis:WREG (Ch. 3)and Memphis City Guide

Nashville:WTVF (Ch. 5)and Nashville City Guide

Fox network:

Chattanooga:WDSI (Ch. 61)and Chattanooga City Guide

Johnson City:WEMT (Ch. 39)and Johnson City City Guide

Knoxville:WTNZ (Ch. 43)and Knoxville City Guide

Memphis:WHBQ (Ch. 13)and Memphis City Guide

Nashville:WZTV (Ch. 17)and Nashville City Guide

Independent:

Nashville:WHTN (Ch. 39)and Nashville City Guide

NBC network:

Chattanooga:WRCB (Ch. 3)and Chattanooga City Guide

Knoxville:WBIR (Ch. 10)and Knoxville City Guide

Memphis:WMC (Ch. 5)and Memphis City Guide

Nashville:WSMV (Ch. 4)and Nashville City Guide

PBS network:

Chattanooga:WTCI (Ch. 45)and Chattanooga City Guide

Cookeville:WCTE (Ch. 22)

Knoxville:WKOP (Ch. 15)and Knoxville City Guide

Martin:WLJT (Ch. 11)

Memphis:WKNO (Ch. 10)and Memphis City Guide

Sneedville:WSJK (Ch. 2)

CW network:

Chattanooga:WFLI (Ch. 53)and Chattanooga City Guide

Kingsport:WAPK (Ch. 30)

Memphis:WLMT (Ch. 30)and Memphis City Guide

Nashville:WUXP (Ch. 30)and Nashville City Guide

Comcast Cable per area.

The complexity of getting a local TV station to Advertise and Carry games depends on people covered and the School. The size of the school, its coverage after a number of fans than may travel to the game may cut down on the viewers. Other schools in the same District/Region, if competitive, could gnerate interest but decrease attendance. Radio increased exposure rather dramatically but decreased attendance. Radio advertisement StateWide would help regional revenue if pursued.

Considering the media competition the weekend of the State could have helped or hurt attendance this year.