Predictions for the the District of Death (D.O.D)

dins8

The D.O.D. showcases some of the top teams and top talent in the state. A district that nearly guarantees a state tourney representative in Farragut and Bearden just got tougher by adding perennial powerhouses Knox West and Catholic. This year's teams promise to be both talented and motivated, but unfortunately, only two will come out of the district with a pulse. The only question is: Who will it be? Here is a quick run down of arguably the toughest district in the state with some foreshadowing for how things might turn out.

Farragut: Farragut boasts tradition, size, confidence--and sixteen seniors. No doubt, the favorite to clean house is last year's state champion that graduated only two starters. Ryan Stinton is the heavy favorite for player of the year, and the list of his supporting cast is endless. Their Achilles heel? As always, with sixteen seniors come sixteen unique egos, but Coach Culbreth has proven that he knows how to get his players to understand the team concept come tournament time.

Bearden: Surely if there is a team that can challenge Farragut for the crown it is Bearden, right? Bearden remains as much of an enigma as any team this year. Of course, we know that they will be physical and play the direct/counter soccer that has made them successful over the years. And they have both talent in Alex Wilkerson and tenacity in Seth Williams. This is surely enough for them to challenge for the number two spot, but don't expect the Farragut/Bearden nailbiters of the past.

Maryville: Like Farragut, Maryville anticipated returning numerous starters from their young '09 squad, but the early injury to one of their top goal scorers (Bradley Fisher) has left them looking for new faces to fill the role up top. Good news for Maryville is that they are deeper than they have been in the past, and some of the younger players should fit into a starting role nicely. Look for David Lethco to step up for the Rebels, and look for them to make noise this season as well.

West: A three man wrecking crew combined with a savvy coach in Kyle McCoy. Jack McCoy should score in the boatloads, and Tanner Thompson will continue to unleash his Peytonesque sling shot, but I question West's depth. Sure, they have three proven veterans, but will West's supporting cast step up? Indeed, West's role players will be the key to their success down the road, and West fans believe that they have what it takes to slide into that two spot as well.

Lenoir City: LC is often overlooked in the D.O.D. Coach Harris somehow motivates his team to hang around with some of the bigger teams that field twice the talent. Last year they tied a more talented Maryville squad, and for the last two years they have shocked Bearden. Lenoir City promises to upset again this year and perhaps spoil a two spot for programs that assume the two spot is theirs.

Catholic: Notre Dame signee Luke Mishu will lead the charge into AAA for the Irish, but some say that the AAA powerhouses will not be so welcoming to a team that has co-reigned AA/A with CAK for so many years. Like West, Catholic promises to be talented, but will a newly established AAA team be able to hang with bigger numbers when depth promises to be a problem? Surely, Leader is up to the challenge.

Heritage: It is no secret that Heritage has a long way to go to compete with the aforementioned programs, but they feel they have the answer in Maryville College grad Nick Bradford, their new coach, to get them moving in the right direction. Look for Heritage to take baby steps forward, but no doubt they have the right man to lead the charge in rookie coach Bradford.

William Blount: I heard it is Coach Burnett's final year as a head coach, and he is most likely looking to go out with a bang. Unfortunately, for him, he graduates last year's keeper of the year, and, like Heritage, he lacks the talent on which some of the other programs rely. Don't expect him to go down lightly, though. Could this be the year for William Blount to pull an upset? I'm sure they would love to send their longtime head coach into retirement with a noteworthy win for the program.

Good luck to all teams! Anyone have their prediction for how the teams in the DOD will end up?

Best,

dins

P.S.--These teams are discussed in no particular order. Just based on my whims.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I'll be the first to chime in, good rundown dins, i'm surprised it has taken this long to get this topic rocking.

I'm going to rank them, and then try to justify my thoughts. Please don't take any offense, b/c I am not informed as well on some teams as others and my intention is not to give any motivation to any of these teams (I do have to face off against more than a few of you, :lol: )

1. Farragut

2. Maryville

3. Bearden

4. West

5. Catholic

6. LC

7. William Blount

8. Heritage

Ok, now my thoughts, first off, I think this is ridiculous to pair all these teams together, think it would have been much more fair to leave west with OR and move catholic there also, if you need to move some other teams over to make numbers work than do so. TSSAA made an error here. oops did I say that?

I think Farragut is loaded and Coach Culbreth is a technitian when it comes to the details, barring unforseen problems, they will be rocking all year long. I picked maryville b/c of seeing their youth last year and hearing some good things about them in scrimmages. Our teams know each other well and my kids think they will make a run, and I do as well. Bearden is always going to be bearden, coach turner runs a system that kills opposing teams b/c it is so different then what we typically see, but they do it so dang well. I only put west at 4 b/c of who they have in the district, we played last night and they walked away 4-2 better than we were and I think they will get it figured out when they need to and could be as high as 2 if everything falls right for them. I just don't know how catholic will have the bodies to get through such a tough district. They are ultra talented, but can they use their #16 man on roster like a farragut or maryville can right now? I don't know, but if they can, then I would move them up as well. Don't know enough about LC to make a good assessment, just going on history, they will upset someone but will they be consistent enough to make a long run? I put WB second because I had the chance to coach 6 or their freshman in club and walked away very impressed, can't wait to see them again. Will they make a run right now? Probably not, but the future is bright with alot of solid players coming. Can't wait to see those boys as upperclassmen. And heritage also had a young player I got to work with who is going to be as stud, but can they ever find enough to field a consistent 11 at a competitive level. It would not shock me at all in the future. AD Chip Fuller is a ref we all know very well and you better believe he wants to have a solid soccer program. I hope he can make a big difference in the culture there.

Sorry to write a book, and I really hope I didn't offend anyone. My first real post of the season and I'm probably a little rusty. Good Luck to all these teams, can't wait to catch some of these matchups!!!!!

1. Farragut. 2+ goals better than the next tier of District 4 teams. Incredible talent. Confidence bordering on arrogance but hey, if you can back it up more power to you. Only question surrounding this group is if they will play with the fire and intensity needed over the long haul and continue to improve after winning state last year. I think they will--state finalist or champion.

2./3./4. Pick ‘em. Bearden, Maryville and West (alphabetical) are all strong. The drama among this trio will be who can avoid finishing 4th in the district regular season. None of these teams wants a season ending semi-final match against Farragut in the district tournament. Rumor is that Coach Turner is working on possession vice his traditional quick strike over the top attack. Will coach and team be patient if this doesn’t result in immediate success? Maryville seems to have talent and better depth based on posts regarding their early season scrimmages. They always play Farragut tough and have been fairly successful vs Bearden but lose or draw game(s) to an LC or Sevier County. Will they be mentally tough enough to avoid letdowns to teams they should beat? West returning to District 4 after a couple of year’s absence. They were 0 for 3 vs Bearden and Farragut in 09 but have lots of players returning with talent and experience. Can they get the #2 seed for the tournament which will give them a huge advantage on the home football field with Tanner’s throw-ins?

5. Catholic. Bye-bye Stone Mountain, Oliver Springs, Kingston and Scott County. Hello district of death. Catholic is 2-2 over the last two years against District 4 opponents and this step up from 2A is a big one. Mishu is the real deal but depth may be an issue. Is Coach Leader’s South African background good for 2 goals/game vs his American counterparts? Just kidding---but some parents are enthralled with any coach who speaks with an accent.

6. Lenoir City. Coach Harris does a great job with kids who have excellent individual skills but seem to lack dedication on the practice pitch which eventually derails them when playing a savvy team at tournament time. Expect an upset or two during regular season but fizzle at tournament time.

7. William Blount. I am parroting Akula’s picks with WB and Heritage. He is a Blount county guy and knows the turf over there.

8. Heritage

Good luck to all!

Rumor is that Coach Turner is working on possession vice his traditional quick strike over the top attack.

Well, it must be a rumor, because that is how he attacked when he played us last night. Very quick counters and long ball to the strikers. Hey, it works for him...

Lots of Good Comments:

Here are my top four.

1. Farragut-Clearly the top team with the top talent.

2. West-I like this team to end up in the state finals. I am a big fan of the large Mr. Williams in the back.

3. Bearden- Watch out next year, they may win it all. Who knows, they may win it this year.

4. Maryville-this is the team that may really surprise everyone this year. They would probably win every other district in the state.

All four of these teams are probably in the top six in the entire state. Too bad they cannot all make it to the state tournament. Good luck to all of the teams. It will be fun to watch. :hungry:

Lots of Good Comments:

Here are my top four.

1. Farragut-Clearly the top team with the top talent.

2. West-I like this team to end up in the state finals. I am a big fan of the large Mr. Williams in the back.

3. Bearden- Watch out next year, they may win it all. Who knows, they may win it this year.

4. Maryville-this is the team that may really surprise everyone this year. They would probably win every other district in the state.

All four of these teams are probably in the top six in the entire state. Too bad they cannot all make it to the state tournament. Good luck to all of the teams. It will be fun to watch. :hungry:

Too bad that they can't even make it out of their DISTRICT!

5 of these teams have the talent to play at the AAA state tournament. I would say 4 could win it (you'd be surprised at my picks, but I am keeping them for a later time).

But that just speaks volumes of Knoxville soccer as a whole. To have this many teams, year after year, who have quality programs says a lot!

And even the A/AA Knoxville schools. Alcoa has come so far, and last year's Carter team could have won it, or at least given Alcoa a run for their money.

First off, this really is the worst situation to be in.....for all the teams! Anyone can win the regualar season, and then get knocked out in the district-semi's.

Bearden will be Bearden. They have the players to stick with the normal style of play. Play the ball up, and get physical. Coach Turner is a great coach, and knows how to get his teams to perform.

West will be carried by Thompson and McCoy. The problem with this team is that these players can only take you so far. When they get to the tournament, the others will have to make plays for them to keep advancing..

Maryville is a strong as ever. They dont have the most talent in the district....but have the most heart.

You could see last year that they really wanted to win. Young and hungry.

Catholic will be welcomed with open arms. They will get some wins, but will not be able to produce a whole season with this competition.

LC will pull of an upset or two, but wont be in the hunt in the end. They always find a way to upset one powerhouse :hungry:

Heritage and WB are just not at the level of this district. In the next 5 years, they will be closer to competeting.

Last but not least......Farragut.

All the pieces are put in play for them to make another run. (Skill,maturity,speed,coaching.) On paper, they should already be holding the trophy....BUT Keeping a team like this focused all year is a tough task. They have to prove to everyone else in the state that they are as good as people say they are.

Good luck to everyone this season.

WITH THE TALENT IN THIS dISTRICT ONE COULD MAKE AN ARGUMENT THAT AN EXCEPTION COULD BE MADE TO ALLOW 4 teams from this District to advance.

That being said, this will all virtually bowl down to Coaching and While there are some very good Coaches in this district as well as teams. Breardens Turner and Farragut's Culbreth have shown over and over when it's time to win they know how to get the job done! I will stay with the power of Farragut to repeat at going to the tournament but then it becomes a whole new game to win it all.Top

I disagree with your DOD as you call it. The DOD is probably district 11

Hmmm...Correct me if I'm wrong, but 8 out of the last 10 state championships have come from teams from the DOD, including last year's winner--Farragut. Let's not forget that in the last decade, the DOD has not only produced the winner 80 percent of the time, but has also almost ALWAYS had another rep from the district in the final four/state finals. (Shoot, in 2007, we could have saved everyone from Knoxville some gas money and just played the final between Farragut and Bearden in our own backyard). If that isn't enough, the D.O.D. added Catholic and West, both of whom have either won or made the state final four in their respective classifications in the last two years. Add Maryville and Lenoir City into the equation--both teams who have upset Bearden in the last three years--then, in my mind, you have a pretty loaded district. District 11 only traditionally has Brentwood in the mix of things; and, even when Brentwood is in the mix of things, the crown normally goes home with Farragut or Bearden.

At one point during the 2009 season, five of the teams in the DOD made up the top ten in the state (Farragut, Bearden, West, Maryville, and Catholic)--Catholic being in AA/A classification, of course. While I appreciate the argument, I vehemently disagree with you and find your argument unfounded.