South Greene High School Coach Leaving

NE15

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derek has been blessed with talent all four years at SG. He hasn't really had to do much coaching. I feel that SG needs a different coach if they want to compete in years to come. I think if they have a good coach step up this year and have a little success, it will be a position that may be hard for Dyer to reclaim.

Derek has been blessed with talent all four years at SG. He hasn't really had to do much coaching. I feel that SG needs a different coach if they want to compete in years to come. I think if they have a good coach step up this year and have a little success, it will be a position that may be hard for Dyer to reclaim.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I am not close to their program although I have seen them play on a number of occassions the last couple of years. However, to say that because they have had talent, he has not had to do "much coaching" is absurd. There are lots of teams with talent that do not succeed. Also, there is much more to coaching than Xs and Os. Getting to the state semifinals two years in a row is an unbelievable accomplishment and I find it hard to believe that he just rolled the balls out and they had all that success.

Teams that win have talent. Not all teams with talent win. People make the argument about Phil Jackson and how he always has had the greatest players and he wouldn't have won if he didn't have Jordan or Shaq or Kobe. That's true but how many rings did those guys win without him? (1 by Shaq when Pat Riley was his coach) UConn has far and away the most talent in women's college basketball right now. Does that mean Geno isn't coaching?

Coach Dyer is a good man and a very good coach and he is doing an admirable thing that a lot of coaches wouldn't do. South Greene will hopefully get someone who will do a great job in his stead. However, that person is going to have big shoes to fill.

Based on that line of thinking, his replacement won't really have to do much coaching either... Although they have lost Dye and Crum, they will be returning Ansley Ricker, Shelby Hicks, standout Maelyn Cutshaw who did well in her freshmen year, and Javan Wilhoit--all who got quality minutes last year and can be considered experienced. Furthermore, it can easily be argued that South Greene has nearly always had talent--does that mean that their previous coaches had little to do with their success, too??? I doubt you would levy that same type of attitude towards Coach Ricker...

I typically am an "idle observer" and do not participate much in board discusson, but I have to agree with magicman95 in that Dyer is a good man and a good coach and should be applauded as such. Under his stead they have won their first regional championship in 10 years and have 2 'boro final four finishes under their belts after a LONG absence from the big dance. He has done well in a situation that would be very difficult for a lot of others to handle. South Greene has a rich tradition and history, thanks in large part to Coach Ricker (as can be evidenced by his Hall of Fame induction). I may anger some people by saying this, but a lot of folks can't seem to let go of the fact that he (Ricker) is no longer there and that it is no longer the late 80s/early 90s when the 4 gold balls were won which has made it difficult for Coach Dyer (or any successor) to try to build their own traditions. I respect Coach Ricker as much as the next person and appreciate what he has done for SG, but it's time to move on. Notice I didn't say it was time to forget--just time to move on. And let's not forget that it's not like Ricker left voluntarily--he was forced to leave SG after much controversy--so I doubt that the administration/school board would ask him back even if he WAS in good health (which he is not).

How is Coach Ricker doing? I know you said not very well but would like to know his condition. Always respected his teams. You might not have liked him or the way he coached but one thing for sure his teams were always going to play hard and get after you. Very fun bunch to watch. I know he has been through a lot and was just wondering exactly how he was doing. Thanks for the information.

As I mentioned, I respect Coach Ricker and whole heartedly agree that he was and is a fantastic coach. The only point I was trying to make is that it has probably been difficult for Dyer to garner a lot of support that he would otherwise likely have had if he had been coaching elsewhere because of the legacy that is at South Greene and constant comparisons to that former regime. That's just part of it, unfortunately and I would think that Dyer would have been aware of that when he took the job. It would just be nice to see Dyer have the support and credit that I think that he is due, which I think that he IS getting from the majority of the fan base.

As far as Coach Ricker's condition, I am not close enough to the family to know specifics, but I do know that he is battling cancer and is on several prayer lists (including my church's) and was too ill to even attend a ceremony honoring former SG coaches recently. I have heard that he likely won't be able to attend the Hall of Fame induction ceremony as well because of the concern for his condition, although attempts are being made for a remote link up if that can be arranged. Perhaps someone a little closer could comment more...

Whomever is at the helm will have a good bunch of players to still contend for a gold ball. The tradition is back and as hungry as ever to win, with that being said unfortunately Coach Ricker is in no condition to coach and our prayers are with him in his fight to survive. He is a strong man and a winner and I don't think the cancer knew who it was dealing with when in chose to pick on him. Coach Ricker will fight and beat it.

On another note I hear rumors going around that Rechelle Dye will be at Carson Newman and not Belmont next year. If so congrats I won't have to drive as far to watch her play.