Eurosport Rankings Up

akula21

Will it help to let you all know that Ben Holt has been cleared to play next week? :lol:

(Yeah, we are a bit happy about that, as you can tell).

You all know how I feel about all of this. There have been years where we were not ranked, ranked 7th, 1st, what have you. It's fun to be ranked, and there is status in that, but ultimately doesn't win a single game for you. In fact, as some teams are learning, having a #1 ranking is sometimes difficult, because everyone wants to knock you off of that top spot, so EVERYONE brings their "A" game to you. And unfortunately, you can't always bring an "A" game to every opponent.

I don't take offense with being ranked "low" or even not at all. While there is a legacy at CAK, I want this current year to earn their own legacy and not just ride on the coat tails of the previous years success. I think they are doing a good job of that, thus far, especially because of the trials we have endured this year on and off the pitch. But we try and focus on the journey and not the destination, though sometimes that is easier said than done.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom,

I love your comment. Very Classy. Congrats to your player. I hope he is at full strength soon.

Friday might be the first game since our first game that I have all my top players available, and with our stretch run we will need it. We have had to start our 5th string defenders in a couple of games. And even though we have had only 2 goals against this season, I have not felt we have played to our potential in any game this season. Hopefully, they will sort it out.

Will it help to let you all know that Ben Holt has been cleared to play next week? :lol:

(Yeah, we are a bit happy about that, as you can tell).

You all know how I feel about all of this. There have been years where we were not ranked, ranked 7th, 1st, what have you. It's fun to be ranked, and there is status in that, but ultimately doesn't win a single game for you. In fact, as some teams are learning, having a #1 ranking is sometimes difficult, because everyone wants to knock you off of that top spot, so EVERYONE brings their "A" game to you. And unfortunately, you can't always bring an "A" game to every opponent.

I don't take offense with being ranked "low" or even not at all. While there is a legacy at CAK, I want this current year to earn their own legacy and not just ride on the coat tails of the previous years success. I think they are doing a good job of that, thus far, especially because of the trials we have endured this year on and off the pitch. But we try and focus on the journey and not the destination, though sometimes that is easier said than done.

Great news regarding Ben Holt! In the 3-4 matches that I saw him play in last year, he appears to be the prototype player -- class, intensity, great effort, team-oriented and great soccer skills/athleticism. Must be nice to know that he’s on the roster for another 3 years.

Regarding the journey--when the waypoints are Oneida, Stone Mountain, Oliver Springs, Tellico Plains, Pigeon Forge, the trip down the path must be more like a leisurely jaunt than bushwhacking your way from point to point. Must be hard at times to maintain team focus on the regular season/early tournament games. I expect CAK to be right there in the mix when the “second season” kicks in.

Great news regarding Ben Holt! In the 3-4 matches that I saw him play in last year, he appears to be the prototype player -- class, intensity, great effort, team-oriented and great soccer skills/athleticism. Must be nice to know that he’s on the roster for another 3 years.

He certainly is a strong asset to the team. He is one of (if not the best) natural goal scorers I have seen.

While our district is certainly no D.O.D. it has come far over the past 8 years. Loudon beat Catholic last year and only lost in district semis 0-1 to them. Stone Memorial has given us fits in years past. While it isn't the same type of rivalry as CAK vs. Catholic or CAK vs. Alcoa, these teams bring their best each year, and if we don't respect that, we could find our season a lot shorter than we would desire.

I was talking with the Morristown West coach yesterday about consistency, and we joked that if one could find the secret recipe for getting high schoolers (or any athlete) to play a consistent game each and every time, one would be a VERY wealthy individual.

I was a bit suspicious about Holt's health when he about tackled me with a bear hug at CAK/Hendersonville match :thumb: Glad he is back. Hope the other two follow shortly! Think everyone has made pretty solid statements on their point of view with the rankings, which is why its good that we are back to having the coaches give some input, since we all have different opinions, but mostly we see different teams. I know its hard for me to rank a team in middle or west TN. I am pretty much at the mercy of a sportswriter who uploads an article or comparing scores. I know for sure I'd rather have someone come watch us in a match than just look at results when judging us.

In the end, it will all work itself out, and it is actually really cool to see some new names up in the rankings.

Thank you fevercoach for defending Hume-Fogg. I do disagree with the comment about our White House loss being suspect. White House made the final 16 last year and it was our 2nd game of the season. I think they will probably win their district.

I will gladly give you a report on Fairview after the game. you can email me at david.allen@mnps.org

Good luck to all teams this year.

I am actually overjoyed to see so much discussion on A-AA.