Did You Ever Think About

Chakra20

I know i see the public/private split comming and i really have no problems with it i dont want to see my school of around 200 boys playing against schools with 500-1000. If you want to tal about no fait then there you go but thats not my point. If all the private schools are forced to leave what do you think the odds are of them using their ace in the whole. We wwill form our own football association, which in TN with all the private schools would comprise the best division in football in my humbile opinion. This would make it even more unattractive for the TSSAA to vote for the split. I think it could open the TSSAA up for more lawsuits as well.

Not to be mean really ,but you better watch what you ask for you just might get it. :D:D:D

It also means a loss of money to the TSSAA...gate revenues would take a big hit...

I can't wait till they split them, and all you public school supporters will finally shut up...but then there will be some other reason you guys don't win

1-privates are taking the best athletes

2-privates get all the attention from coaches and media

3-have the best resources etc.

Private schools hold no trump card in this - they have no leverage. If they chose to leave TSSAA who would they play? Have to only play each other because every game with TSSAA school (or other state association) would have to be approved by the only one association recognized by National Federation in this state and that is the TSSAA.

Who would put on the state championships? Who would enforce eligibility rules? Who would coordinate insurance? Where would they get officials?

You think for a minute that putting all private schools in a room to discuss a charter, by-laws, consitiution and regulations would be easy when there is so much diversity between private schools (Lighthouse Christian/MBA for example).

If private schools pulled out they would quickly fall into obscurity - even if they have the best athletes. NO private high school association in the United States is even close to having the following and coverage that the recognized state association has.

If private schools think they are stong and powerful enough to pull this off and be successful they are sadly mistaken.

If privates think they can form their own football association and leave other sports in TSSAA they're living in a fanasty land.

Here is something to keep an eye on. The Div II AAA finals will be played on Friday night in Nashville. This game will probably be Brentwood Academy and Baylor/McCallie. That same night will be Division I quarterfinals. You can mark it down -- there will be a number of games in Division I that will outdraw the Div II AAA championship game.

Do you seriously think this hasnt been done in other states. well it has mnay states where the privates and publics are totally seperated they seperate legislating bodies. The private schools have many alumni and backers that know the type of people it takes to get something like this done. You are also comparing the way the Division 2 is now as what it would be with 2 divisions. Add in another 20-25 teams there will alot more interest in it then.

There is not that much of a difference in the schools that you mention. Their final goal is the same to get these kids ready for the rest of their lives through education.

I also really doubt they would fall into obscurity they are hands down some of the best teams in the state that produce more scholarship athletes percentage wise than any schools in Tennessee. So if they fall into obscurity with the high schools it doesnt really matter they are tryin to get these kids into college.

In actuality i dont think they will end up leaving the TSSAA, because they wont have to. I hope it doesnt come to that, and i dont think it will, but if it did i would like tooo see them do it.

When it comes down to the number of people that goto see those games things wouldnt change. many of the publics have outdrawn private schools for years. Private schools overall are much smaller and have a less defined alumni base. What i mean by that is that their students come from all over and usually spread out after high school whereas in alot of public schools everyone in the town has attended that school at one time or another.

Those things havent changed because private schools dont DEPEND on their gate to pay for the teams, although much of that money goes to other things than athletics.

Private schools are a business and they must run them like one. They advertise the promote they do all these things to SELL the product they have. A good Athletic progam only helps them sell the product and fullfill the need that someone might need.

You do make valid points that it would be hard for them to accomplish this, but so was building their programs to where they are today.

Posted by RealGoEagles:

If public schools are so strong then whey can't they beat private schools? ;)

This is not about who has the best teams. It is about addressing the problems with private schools forming their own association.

Posted by Chakra20:

Do you seriously think this hasnt been done in other states. well it has mnay states where the privates and publics are totally seperated they seperate legislating bodies.

I have been unable to find even one state where a "split" has occurred. In those *few* places where public and private are separate (Texas, Virginia, the District of Columbia, and Maryland completely; Mississippi and North Carolina partially; New Jersey with a Tournament of Champions; and the cities of New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Honolulu, and until this year Chicago), public and private schools never played together.

Mississippi is a little different...Jackson Prep is the best private school there, and it is hands down weaker then any of the Mississippi schools...schools like Moss Point, South Panola (who would whip any of the TN schools butts) but anyway...Prep only has like 500 people in it, and they won state two years ago (all privates) and they are now starting to play the public schools....the private schools in Mississippi and Texas, I can assure you are much weaker then the publics, not the case here...ELA would agree.

California (De La Salle) and Pennsylvania (Cathedral Prep) have many privates that are worthy of competeting... Louisiana has some like Evangel Christian as well.

I would hope that it never comes down to two separate governing bodies, but if it should, then you`ll see what recruiting really is and not what you think it is now. Div.I privates can`t give financial aid right now. They can only accept kids who are willing to pay thousands of dollars to attend. And those are hard to come by. If they can play sports, then that is just a bonus. Won`t public schools really be mad when they can actually start recruiting their fine athletes as well as students?

Most of the 1A Privates would not be in any financial position to offer financial aid as their budgets are close to the wire already. I'm sure not many Public folks would believe this but running the day to day activities of a school is extremely expensive. They could in theory increase the tuition but there would be a huge outcry from existing parents and I think enrollemt would go down. Schools like BGA, MBA, BA have a proven long term academic track record and can have higher tuition fees than most of the other smaller 1A Privates who often have a slightly different school vision.

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:

I would hope that it never comes down to two separate governing bodies, but if it should, then you`ll see what recruiting really is and not what you think it is now. Div.I privates can`t give financial aid right now. They can only accept kids who are willing to pay thousands of dollars to attend. And those are hard to come by. If they can play sports, then that is just a bonus. Won`t public schools really be mad when they can actually start recruiting their fine athletes as well as students?

Your right Online...the schools are very tight for money. I didn`t mean to imply that this would be something that the school and the bulk of the parent`s who are money-stretched would be able to do. But most private school`s do have some parent`s who are wealthy enough, that if they want to, could easily write a check for another kids tuition if he could make a big difference to the sports program. There are some people who have more money than they know whay to do with it.

I woulnt disagree with that many parents do have enough money to send kids to school that could make a differnce in the sports progream. I will guarentee you this already happens at many of the private schools, but it would be rampent if you cut them loose and you would see recruiting at it finest. Almost like athletic boosters.

What would the private schools stand to loose if they had their own governing body?

HOW BOUT THEM 100 Dollar Handshakes!!!