PLAYING FAVORITES AND SO SO PLAYERS

Guest BADBLUE

Posted by imasoftballer:

Sure!

A few years back, several players from our high school were recruited or whatever other word you want to use from our school system by a near by private, single A, school. (we are AA) Some of them had the GPA's and the money needed to go. The best player of the bunch did not! His family lived in the projects here in town. I know his family or himself did not pay the tuition. I'm not sure about his GPA.

Lo and behold, this private school makes it to the finals in the state tournament. Were they paid? I don't think so. Were they given special treatment? Probably not. But I'm sure that at some point someone convinced them they had a better chance of winning by attending this private school. That is called recruiting! Why else would they leave? Not the coaching. One of the boys who left, his Dad was the high school coach. Needless to say, our school did not fair to well that year. If those guys would have stayed who knows what would have happened.

I have also stated before that if the oppotunity came up where my daughters could attend a private school that had a legit shot at winning a title, who would I be to stand in their way. Does that make it right? NO!

Thanks for the info. Did the coach or some official from the private school recruit them, or just who? How could they play the next year if they transferred? Did they get hardship exemptions or something?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also stated in the past, the biggest problem is NOT actual recruiting. The private schools with great sports reputations don't have to recruit. Their record and rep. recruit for them. Kids (and adults) want to win. And if a kid has a chance to go somewhere where his chances are better to win than where he is zoned to be, then I think the choice is obvious as to where they we go. Do I blame the coaches? NO! Do I blame the kids? NO! The parents? NO! It is the system, the system needs to be changed. Should there be a split? I don't know but something need to change.