PLAYING FAVORITES AND SO SO PLAYERS

Guest BADBLUE

Guest slider2002

I feel sorry for that kid. I've been coaching alot of years now. And have meet some great coaches. I have know coaches that would not play their own kid because he was not the best player at that pos.

I know of coaches that would do something like that to a player just to prove a point with the rest of the team. This type of Coach is out there and I feel sorry for them and their players.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest caligula
Posted by slider2002:

I feel sorry for that kid. I've been coaching alot of years now. And have meet some great coaches. I have know coaches that would not play their own kid because he was not the best player at that pos.

I know of coaches that would do something like that to a player just to prove a point with the rest of the team. This type of Coach is out there and I feel sorry for them and their players.

I wouldn't play my son if he was not the best at his pos.

It really all comes down to the fact that you really have to trust and respect the coach(es) which is hard for some people and sometimes that trust and respect doesn't exist.

I have had kids that, if I started them in a game, were so nervous they couldn't perform. If I would wait a while and then put them in they were much better.

I have had players (more so in basketball than in football) who were clearly better players than others but the game seemed to come to a halt when they were in the game.

Coaches have to be allowed to coach. Players need to be players and fans need to be fans. When we try to be something we're not we tend to make a mess of things.

Many good thoughts in this thread. Being a Dad, student of the game and fan, I understand playing the "Best" most of the time. Football is not for every kid and no one wants his son hurt, BUT, what is in it for a kid who go's to early morning workouts all summer, endless practice while getting killed on the scout team and then the coach's never give the kid a chance on friday night, anywhere anytime? Even during route some coaches forget what a depth chart is for. Many coaches play favorites for many reasons. Please don't say this does not happen at Maryville. I have watched Maryville for 7 years now and it happens. Some kids get burnt on plays and are taken out others get burnt and stay only to get burnt again. Coaches need to remember they are all kids on the field and on the sidelines.

Posted by mrsoddydaisy:

Private school coaches recruit who they want, so that does not happen there.

Oh boo hoo! Another jab at the private institutions from a narrow minded individual. Not all private schools recruit, geez you people just love beating a dead horse! Get over it already. That's why I do not like college or pro football, they recruit bigtime! :)

Good coaches and their assistants play who they feel is ready and will substitute when the time is right. Do not most games start with the "favorite" players.

Hopefully the ranks of the coaches that play favorites based on personal relationships and not performance is few and far between.

RYANROWDY AND CALIQULA ,I MAKE IT APPEAR THAT I BELIEVE THIS YOUNG MAN SHOULD BE PLAYING BECAUSE OF HIS RELIGIOUS BELIEF.I DO NOT BELIEVE THERE HAS BEEN, OR EVER WILL BE A COACH,WHO WILL PLAY SOMEONE BECAUSE OF THEIR RELIGION.ALSO ITS NOT MY INTENTION TO TURN THIS INTO A COACH BASHING,I SHOULD USE BETTER WORDING NEXT TIME,I APOLOGIZE FOR THAT.LET ME ADD THIS ABOUT THE COACH,IT APPEARED TO ME HE WAS A VERY GOOD COACH.THE TEAM WAS VERY SOUND ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL AND HAD GOOD FUNDAMENTALS.I DID NOT SEE THE YOUNG MAN PLAY AT ALL, NOT EVEN ON SPECIAL TEAMS,SO I CANNOT MAKE ANY COMMENTS ON THAT.MY OPINIONS OF THE GAME IS BOTH TEAMS WERE WELL MATCH,EXCEPT MAYBE AT WR/VS/DB POSITION.THE OPPOSING TEAM WRS WERE FAST AND VERY GOOD,DB IS ONE OF THE POSITIONS FANS AND TEAMMATES FELT HE COULD HAVE CONTRIBUTE TO THE TEAM.THE OTHER POSITION WAS WR,THE QB HAD A STRONG AND ACCURATE THROWING ARM,BUT THE WRS HAD PROBLEMS BRINGING THE BALL IN.THE OPPOSING TEAM SCORE ON THREE FLY PATTERNS.I DO NOT BELIEVE OR WANT TO BELIEVE A COACH WILL NOT PLAY SOMEONE BECAUSE HIS FIRST CHOICE WAS PRIVATE SCHOOL.IN DEFENSE OF PRIVATE SCHOOL,THEY RECOGNIZED A GOOD STUDENT AND A GOOD ATHLETE, THEY FELT COULD CONTRIBUTE TO THEIR TO SCHOOL, I DON'T THINK THEY SHOULB BE PUT DOWN FOR THAT. SECOND I DO NOT BELIEVE THE FANS OR HIS TEAMMATES WOULD BE PUSHING FOR HIM TO PLAY IF THEY DIDN'T BELIEVE HE COULD CONTRIBUTE.ALL YOUR OPINIONS HAVE BEEN INTELLIGENT AND VERY HELPFUL,SO I LIKE TO HAVE SOME MORE INSIGHT AND OPINIONS ON THIS SUBJECT.

Why didn't GPS try to recruit your daughter?? You have no idea what you're talking about, and you have no way to back any of it up. Look at the players on McCallie's and Baylor's teams over the past few years. There have been three or four really great players (Idlette, Hall, Baucom, etc..) but by far, these teams win by getting the most out of the players they have. I think you're upset because your son couldn't get in to Mccallie and your daughter couldn't get into Notre Dame, so you feel the need to bring these schools down because of your failure.

Posted by mrsoddydaisy:

Baylor and Mccallie tried to recruit my son. Baylor and Notre Dame tried to recruit my daughter. Sorry, but that is a fact. If you think it does not happen, you are braindead. I was just answering the guys question. Get over it.