PLAYING FAVORITES AND SO SO PLAYERS

Guest BADBLUE

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, I went to Mccallie, started on the State Championship team, didn't get recruited, made a 1230 on the SAT, graduated with a 3.4 GPA, and I'm now a freshman majoring in psychology at Auburn. I speak from personal knowledge when I say that Mccallie doesn't recruit. Sorry, when you answer a question, answer it with truth..not some B.S. you made up.

Posted by rhinob59:

Why didn't GPS try to recruit your daughter?? You have no idea what you're talking about, and you have no way to back any of it up. Look at the players on McCallie's and Baylor's teams over the past few years. There have been three or four really great players (Idlette, Hall, Baucom, etc..) but by far, these teams win by getting the most out of the players they have. I think you're upset because your son couldn't get in to Mccallie and your daughter couldn't get into Notre Dame, so you feel the need to bring these schools down because of your failure.

You probably didn't get recruited because you were not a good enough athlete. They recruit alright, I personally know of two guys right now in the 10th grade who have been heavily recruited by "private schools".

[Edited by CSense on 9-30-02 7:18A]

[Edited by CSense on 9-30-02 7:18A]

Just because you did not get recruited does not mean the school does not recruit. Just because you went to school there does not mean you know every detail of how the school is run. SOME private school recruit, more than many would like to believe. SOME public school do also but I don't think that happens on as large a scale as it does with private schools. Yes, I have facts to back up what I say. I have posted them here in the past with no response from the private school supporters.

MRSODDYDAISY YOU HAVE BEEN BLESS WITH TWO BRIGHT KIDS,HOW PROUD YOU MUST BE.COULD YOU COMMENY ON THE PROCESS THAT TOOK PLACE ,OR HOW WAS YOUR KIDS CONTACTED BY PRIVATE SCHOOL?ALSO GIVE ME YOUR OPINION ON THIS.FIVE YEARS AGO THEIR WAS A BIG UPROAR HERE ABOUT PRIVATE RECRUITING.LET ME EXPLAIN,A MIDDLE SCHOOL FOOTBALL PLAYER WAS ZONE IN BETWEEN TWO HIGH SCHOOLS,HE COULD ATTEND THE ONE OF HIS CHOICE.BEFORE ALL THE MIDDLE SCHOOL GAMES YOU WOULD SEE BOTH HEAD COACHES TALKING TO HIS PARENTS.EVERYONE KNEW THEY WERE TRYING TO PERSUADE A DECISION IN THEIR FAVOR.THE MIDDLE COACH CONTACTED THE PARENTS,TO TELL THEM HE THOUGHT THIS YOUNG MAN WOULD BE A GOOD STUDENT AT PRIVATE SCHOOL.HIS OPINION OF THE TWO PUBLIC SCHOOL COACHES WAS THIS,ONE COACH HE FELT WAS NOT A GOOD COACH AND DID NOT FEEL HE PLAYED HIS BEST TALENT.THE OTHER COACH WAS AT A NEW SCHOOL AND STARTING A NEW PROGRAM,HE HONESTLY THOUGHT THIS WAS THE WRONG PLACE FOR HIM TO BE.HE TOLD PARENTS THE DECISION IS YOURS,YOU DO WHATS YOU THINK IS BEST FOR YOUR SON.THEY CONTACTED THE PRIVATE SCHOOL,THE HEAD COACH OF PRIVATE SCHOOL CAME TO A GAME AND BOY THINGS HIT THE FAN.ALL THE TALK WAS A PRIVATE SCHOOL WAS RECRUITING THIS PLAYER.HE TALK WITH THE PARENTS,BUT NEVER MADE ANY CONTACT WITH THE PLAYER.TSSAA WAS INFORM,IT TURN OUT TO BE A BIG MESS.DO YOU THINK THE PRIVATE SCHOOL DID ANYTHING WRONG IN THIS CASE?DO YOU THINK THE MIDDLE COACH DID ANYTHING WRONG?DO YOU THINK THE PUBLIC COACHES DID ANYTHING WRONG?HIS FINAL CHOICE WAS THE NEW PROGRAM.

Posted by imasoftballer:

Just because you did not get recruited does not mean the school does not recruit. Just because you went to school there does not mean you know every detail of how the school is run. SOME private school recruit, more than many would like to believe. SOME public school do also but I don't think that happens on as large a scale as it does with private schools. Yes, I have facts to back up what I say. I have posted them here in the past with no response from the private school supporters.

I did a search, but could not find the post with the facts you refer to. Could you repeat them for our benefit please?

Sure!

A few years back, several players from our high school were recruited or whatever other word you want to use from our school system by a near by private, single A, school. (we are AA) Some of them had the GPA's and the money needed to go. The best player of the bunch did not! His family lived in the projects here in town. I know his family or himself did not pay the tuition. I'm not sure about his GPA.

Lo and behold, this private school makes it to the finals in the state tournament. Were they paid? I don't think so. Were they given special treatment? Probably not. But I'm sure that at some point someone convinced them they had a better chance of winning by attending this private school. That is called recruiting! Why else would they leave? Not the coaching. One of the boys who left, his Dad was the high school coach. Needless to say, our school did not fair to well that year. If those guys would have stayed who knows what would have happened.

I have also stated before that if the oppotunity came up where my daughters could attend a private school that had a legit shot at winning a title, who would I be to stand in their way. Does that make it right? NO!

Since you asked, There was one face to face with the coaches. Followed by letters and phone calls. Both were the results of attending camps. As you the middle school kid, He should go where he is zoned. PERIOD. If he was "zoned" for either school, It is the parent's job to get the facts for each school. The middle school coach should stay out of it. He may be offered a high school asst. job for getting a kid at a school. The sad thing is that Baylor, Mccallie, ND, etc. do not need to do it. Every one that has not lived under a rock knows they are great academic schools for the kids. Anyway, forget that. This is about playing favs. All coaches have them, but it is usually the kids that bust their butts for that coach.

[Edited by mrsoddydaisy on 9-30-02 2:06P]

Yeah, you're right..I don't know everything that goes on at that school. What's the purpose of McCallie's and Baylor's summer sports camps? To give kids something to do over the summer? To recruit? To bring in money for the school? I don't know. You just can't tell by looking who's "recruiting", and who isn't. The difference between private schools and public schools is that no one is "zoned" for a private school. They make a choice to go to that school. All of you adults who haven't played the game in many years need to remember one thing though. Recruiting or not, this is a game for kids. It's supposed to be fun. There is no worse feeling than fighting all season to win a state championship, and then having some person who's upset about something your school did or didn't do come up to you and say, your state championship is meaningless..you guys recruit. That's idiocy. Think about the kids who still play the game before you post your mindless bull on here.

RHINOB59 HOW MUCH DOES RUMERS PLAY INTO A YOUNG MAN DECISION OF PRIVATE OR PUBLIC.FOR EXAMPLE IF A COACH HAS A REPUTATION OF PLAYING FAVORITES,EVEN THOUGH IT MAY NOT BE TRUE,HOW DOES THAT PLAY IN HIS DECISION?DO YOU THINK THATS PUTTING THE COACH AND THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM IN A UNFAIR DISADVANTAGE?HOW DOES ONE OR CAN ONE CHANGE A RUMOR THATS SO DAMAGING? OR DOES IT REALLY MATTER.

If someone is deciding between public or private strictly for athletics, I think the sucessfullness of the school is more of a deciding factor than any other criteria, especially rumors about how a coach plays his players. In the end, it's always been my experience that if you can play, then the coach will play you. I do think though that if Coach A at School A has a reputation of only playing the kids with money or the kids he personally likes, and Coach B at School B gives every player an equal chance, obviously I think the player would chose School B.

Posted by BADBLUE:

RHINOB59 HOW MUCH DOES RUMERS PLAY INTO A YOUNG MAN DECISION OF PRIVATE OR PUBLIC.FOR EXAMPLE IF A COACH HAS A REPUTATION OF PLAYING FAVORITES,EVEN THOUGH IT MAY NOT BE TRUE,HOW DOES THAT PLAY IN HIS DECISION?DO YOU THINK THATS PUTTING THE COACH AND THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM IN A UNFAIR DISADVANTAGE?HOW DOES ONE OR CAN ONE CHANGE A RUMOR THATS SO DAMAGING? OR DOES IT REALLY MATTER.