7-AAA Bracket and 8-AAA Bracket - which one..???

davidlimbaugh

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes no sense.

Sure it does :thumb:

Regular Season First Place already has a region berth. Now #2 has a better chance of qualifying for the region as well. After surviving a 15 game district season as 1 and 2, you deserve the best chance to make it to the region. And eventually everyone has to beat everyone else in the tournament anyway. Now you have Oakland playing Siegel, each with just one game under their belt so on equal footing pitching wise. That gives the 3/4 seeds a better chance against #1 and makes #1 work a little harder to win the tournament to host a region game. This scenario covers both types of teams. Teams may struggle through the year with injuries but may jell at tournament time and the regular season champion who may suffer a key injury in the tournament still gets to the region.

No, it makes no sense whatsoever. What is the minimum number of games the team with the bye has to play with them throwing their ace after the bye as opposed to the no 1 seed who if they lose will have to play six games to try to host a regional. Looks like messy Messer got yall again.

I understand the #1 seed getting the automatic bid. I wish our district did the same. But to reward the #2 seed makes no more sense than rewarding the #6 team. To borrow words from Ricky Bobby, if you ain't first, you're last!

Most importantly, in this tournament the #1 seed has to win more games than the #2 seed (if they both win the first round game) to win the tournament. Yes, they already have the automatic bid, but would you rather host the first round region game against the #2 seed from the other district or go on the road to the #1 seed from the other district? Personally, I would rather host and play the #2 seed than go on the road and in all probability face the lefty from Columbia.

If the #1 seed loses the first game, they get a bye in the loser's bracket. What's the difference?

What if the 1, 4, and 5 seeds win the first games. Then the 4 seed gets a bye to the winner's bracket finals? That's not right. IMO, region bids shouldn't be "easy" for anyone to attain. Winning the regular season is very difficult, especially in your leage where they play so many district games, so they should be rewarded. Everyone else, however, should have to battle it out on a level playing field.

If you were in our district, you would understand that the race for 1 and the race for 2 were both key races. Every game, in ever series, had serious ramifications. In a year where a dominant team may be 13-2 or so, that race for second is still huge. Our district took the stance we want our two best teams to get out and we want them to be state tournament ready. That is why our bracket was drawn the way it was. Your mileage may vary :thumb:

No, it makes no sense whatsoever. What is the minimum number of games the team with the bye has to play with them throwing their ace after the bye as opposed to the no 1 seed who if they lose will have to play six games to try to host a regional. Looks like messy Messer got yall again.

Actually, a different coach and I came up with this bracket :thumb:

the #1 seed would never have to win six straight... just the two lowest-seeded losers of the opening round.

I understand the #1 seed getting the automatic bid. I wish our district did the same. But to reward the #2 seed makes no more sense than rewarding the #6 team. To borrow words from Ricky Bobby, if you ain't first, you're last!

I wanted every position in the standings to mean something. And they did!

Most importantly, in this tournament the #1 seed has to win more games than the #2 seed (if they both win the first round game) to win the tournament. Yes, they already have the automatic bid, but would you rather host the first round region game against the #2 seed from the other district or go on the road to the #1 seed from the other district? Personally, I would rather host

and play the #2 seed than go on the road and in all probability face the lefty from Columbia.

Host - but you need more than two pitchers to win the state tournament and more than two pitchers with a 3-game series each week. #1 does have to play one more game than #2. And every other team in bracket is a HUGE fan of #1 and want them to win because once they get to championship game that means two less games you have to win to get in the region.

If the #1 seed loses the first game, they get a bye in the loser's bracket. What's the difference?

One less game you have to win. :thumb:

What if the 1, 4, and 5 seeds win the first games. Then the 4 seed gets a bye to the winner's bracket finals? That's not right. IMO, region bids shouldn't be "easy" for anyone to attain. Winning the regular season is very difficult, especially in your leage where they play so many district games, so they should be rewarded. Everyone else, however, should have to battle it out on a level playing field.
Finishing #4 means it is better than finishing #5 :thumb: And how is any game in our district ever easy? Ask Oakland and Siegel and Riverdale how easy it was to beat Lavergne and Smyrna this year. Let me re-iterate my goal - make every regular season game mean something - make every place in the standings mean something - and after witnessing the season up close and personal, we seemed to have accomplished that.

I still think the 7AAA makes sense, more so than 8AAA. The Champion of the Regular Season gets an automatic Regional berth and I think they should be rewarded especially after playing 3 game sets. I wish we would have done a three game conference set, it would have put more importance on your pitching rotation. I think if you ask Columbia or Shelbyville last year if they think the #1 should have gotten the free pass to regionals, they would have said "yes". Last year both finished tied for first but neither got of district, as Coffee Co #3 and Lawrence Co #5 went to Regionals. Having watched all four teams, most would not have disagreed with Coffee Co going, but Lawrence Co as #5... They weren't a bad team, but for all the hard work for winning games in the regular season, their (Columbia and Shelbyville) only reward is to be seeded #1 & #2 in the District Tourney.

If you don't like that set-up try ours. Franklin Co #3 finished tied for 2nd with Tullahoma #2 at 7-3 but loses the tie breaker. Columbia #1 finishes 10-0 and still has to get out of District, which they should. And Shelbyville #4 and Lawrence Co #5 each finish 3-7 with Lincoln Co 0-10. You could have a 0-10 team and a 3-7 team represent your District... Columbia and Tullahoma get a 1st round bye, which they should. But how about the winners of Friday nights game, Franklin Co over Lincoln Co and Lawrence Co win against Shelbyville, and then they both lose Saturday against Columbia and Tullahoma. Their reward is to play again today (Sunday) against the two losers of Friday nights game, who haven't played since they lost to these same two teams on Friday. And we get to face either their #1-2 (don't know who they threw Friday) against our #3 and we had to use 3 pitchers Friday. So we could go into today with our #3 and #6, #7 as back-up. We would have been better off losing Friday night.

If we had 7AAA District format, Columbia would have played Lincoln Co, Tullahoma vs Lawerence Co and FC vs Shelbyville. Assuming all top seeds win then Tullahoma would get 2nd round bye and Columbia and FC play. But the three teams that lost would have play 1-2 games before they get to the Columbia/ FC loser. As David stated if you're #3 or #4 (in our bracket) win your 1st game but lose your 2nd then it doesn't seem fair or you better have a ton of pitching to get out. I know we could banter back and forth about, " you should have won", but a close game like last might go extra innings only to use more pitching and you are for most part done.

I think the two losers of Friday night should play eachother then the winner plays the lowest seed of the loser from saturday, the higher seed loser gets a bye in the loser's bracket. Tullahoma knew when they played FC in the 2nd district game theyd have to win by 4 or more, so if the projected 3 seed figured that against any possible 4 seed, they would have to do the same.. However, this seasons 8AAA is not a usual one, usually the case is the #5 seed can hang with/beat the #1 seed and the standings are nothing but tie breakers.

I think the two losers of Friday night should play eachother then the winner plays the lowest seed of the loser from saturday, the higher seed loser gets a bye in the loser's bracket. Tullahoma knew when they played FC in the 2nd district game theyd have to win by 4 or more, so if the projected 3 seed figured that against any possible 4 seed, they would have to do the same.. However, this seasons 8AAA is not a usual one, usually the case is the #5 seed can hang with/beat the #1 seed and the standings are nothing but tie breakers.

I agree. For me it's not how the regular season seeding happened. We knew what we had to do against Tullahoma in the 2nd District game. It's the loser bracket that needs to be more like 7AAA. I agree that the two Friday losers should have at least played each other Saturday and so on... And yes, usually there is more parity than this year. But if Shelbyville is healthy and Lawrence / Lincoln Co are like their usual selves, it would have been really exciting, especially in a 3 game set and District Tourney play.