7-AAA Bracket and 8-AAA Bracket - which one..???

davidlimbaugh

No, it makes no sense whatsoever. What is the minimum number of games the team with the bye has to play with them throwing their ace after the bye as opposed to the no 1 seed who if they lose will have to play six games to try to host a regional. Looks like messy Messer got yall again.

Agree giving #2 a better bracket than #1 is idiotic. I can't believe the coaches fell for this nonsense.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

District 8-AAA tried something similar to this a few years ago, and it made no more sense then than it does now. The bottom line is, you were better off losing in Friday night's opening round than you were winning. Of course, Friday night's winners had a chance to pull upsets Saturday and make the system pay off for them, but you shouldn't set up a bracket anticipating upsets. Franklin County and Lawrence County (Friday's winners) will have to play for the third day in a row and go much deeper into their pitching staff today than Friday night's losing teams, Lincoln County and Shelbyville.

If I were to go with a bracket, I would use 8AAAs top bracket and 7AAA bottom bracket. But as an overall bracket, 7AAAs is, to me, better than 8AAAs.

No, it makes no sense whatsoever. What is the minimum number of games the team with the bye has to play with them throwing their ace after the bye as opposed to the no 1 seed who if they lose will have to play six games to try to host a regional. Looks like messy Messer got yall again.

Agree giving #2 a better bracket than #1 is idiotic. I can't believe the coaches fell for this nonsense.

With no automatic berth already in the mix, I would totally agree. A part of me still agrees. But notice it is Stars fans, not Blaze fans who feel that way THIS year. Next year a different school's fans may feel that way.

My hunch is that a lot of coaches were thinking (if I finish second....) :lol:

IMHO the best 6-team bracket is that 6-3 and 5-4 play a one-game play in. Losers done. Winners then faces 1 or 2 in a best 2-out-of-3, with the winners meeting in a one-game, winner sells cokes, losers buys gas, championship.

You can always use the old CWS 6-team bracket, but that gets into a lot of if then else when the winner meets the loser in round 2 and then a lot of if this team played more games than that team.

As a member of the loser's bracket, I wish Siegel had gotten the bye so Watson could throw against Blackman vs Oakland winner on Monday so they would have a better chance to make it to Wednesday, because that means we have to win two less games. But next year if Oakland is 11-1 going into last series and Blackman, Riverdale and Siegel are all 7-5 a lot more will be on the line.

But notice it is Stars fans, not Blaze fans who feel that way THIS year. Next year a different school's fans may feel that way.

I would feel the same way if I was 1st or 6th, please name another sport playoff system that gives the advantage to the 2nd place finisher (needs two wins to make it to the championship) over the 1st place team (needs 3 wins to make it to the championship).

I don't like the play in games since I think a double elimination is fair. Maybe two 3 team mini brackets with the winners playing for the championship, similar to the way it had been with the larger 8 team district last year.

But notice it is Stars fans, not Blaze fans who feel that way THIS year. Next year a different school's fans may feel that way.

I would feel the same way if I was 1st or 6th, please name another sport playoff system that gives the advantage to the 2nd place finisher (needs two wins to make it to the championship) over the 1st place team (needs 3 wins to make it to the championship).

I don't like the play in games since I think a double elimination is fair. Maybe two 3 team mini brackets with the winners playing for the championship, similar to the way it had been with the larger 8 team district last year.

Most other championship events don't have one team who doesn't "have" to win and still advances.

Now we have 4 vs 3, winner gets #2 and then they get #1.... Hmm????

a 3-team bracket? 1-8,4-5 and 2-7,3-6 divide pretty nice. how do you divide 1-4-5 and 2-3-6 or ??? and with automatic berth the 4-5 side has to win it all and the 2-3-6 side just has to get there. And is it fair to 3 that they are with two teams that have to get there while 4 and 5 are just in a pool where one of them has to???

How about this? 1 and 2 get week 7 off (last week of the season) and can schedule someone late for a senior night. 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5 in week 7, 3 game series, with lower seed hosting on Monday and higher seed hosting on Tuesday with an IF game if needed as a double header. Then, Friday and Saturday the winners meet 1 or 2 for three game series, same format. Then, on Tuesday and Wednesday the two winners meet for district championship, same format?

Keep in mind that #1 gets in the region with the automatic bid, so 4-5 has to get past them but if #1 wins their side 2-3-6 just has to get to the finals.

I have gone full circle trying once again to explain the rationale of trying to make as fair a bracket as possible while allowing an automatic bid to the region to the regular season champion. And it appears that with a six team bracket, we have gotten pretty close, with 4-3, 2 to play them and 1 left for them in the finals..... I understand completely that some folks will never be happy, but no one ever wins an election with 100% of the vote. But this has been a fun district tournament with some great games and hopefully four more great games to go :D

Oh, scores tonight:

7-AAA Riverdale 10, Lavergne 0 and Siegel 3, Blackman 1

8-AAA Columbia 8, Tullahoma 1 and Franklin Co is playing Lawrence Co...

After some debate and some research, I think we came up with fairest 6-team bracket where a team has an automatic berth:

All of this based on no IF game:

Our Bracket (Based on one game final)

W-L Seeds

Siegel 4-0 6, 4, 2, 2

Blackman 2-2 5, 1, 4, 1

Riverdale 1-2 4, 6, 4

Oakland 2-2 3, 1, 3, 2

Smyrna 0-2 2, 6

Lavergne 1-2 1, 5, 4

If 8-AAA (Based on one game final)

Siegel 3-0 4, 2, 2

Blackman 2-2 3, 1, 4, 1

Riverdale 2-2 6, 2, 5, 4

Oakland 3-2 5, 1, 6, 3, 2

Smyrna 0-2 4, 3

Lavergne 0-2 3, 4

Transouth Bracket (think CWS bracket...)

Siegel 4-0 6, 3, 2, 2

Blackman 3-2 5, 4, 1, 4, 1

Riverdale 0-2 4, 1

Oakland 2-2 3, 2, 6, 2

Smyrna 0-2 5, 6

Lavergne 1-2 1, 5, 4

Modified Transouth (lowest loser except 6)

Siegel 4-0 6, 5, 2, 2

Blackman 3-2 5, 4, 1, 4, 1

Riverdale 1-2 4, 6, 4

Oakland 2-2 3, 2, 3, 2

Smyrna 0-2 5, 1

Lavergne 0-2 1, 3

Oakland went 3-2 (wins over R'dale twice and Lavergne) and no advance. Blackman goes 2-1 over the same period and advances. I am sure Coach Hawks loves this bracket.

It still makes no sense to give #2 a seeding advantage over #1. I have never heard a coach set a team goal of finishing second. This bracket gives the #2 the best chance to win the district, thus host the first round and de facto regional elimination game against a weaker team while the #1 team gets the honor of going on the road to face the opposing district champion. I guess I just don't get this "no team left behind" stuff.