District 8AA Tournament

diamondlover

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the Hereald Citizen article and knowing what I saw Friday night/Sat. morning, it's obvious me and the HC writer were watching 2 seperate games. Obstruction calls are never easy except for the guy writing the HC article and they were real obvious to him (not to anyone else I'd say except Upperman fans) And I can see how your girl lost the "wrestling match" with the LA catcher. RK is the #1 girl wrestler on the LA girls wrestling team. TC, must be an Upperman grad. Write about the game buddy and quit crying about the umps. You/Upperman lost. Take your medicine and go on. If you play well enough, then maybe you will play LA again and hopefully, for your/Upperman sake, get some smarter umps.

Actually, the HC writer had a picture of it, so you didn't see what you thought you did. I don't think you and the writer were watching 2 different games, but you were watching what the umpires were watching. Yes, I saw Upperman's #7 push the shortsop out of the way after the ball went throught the left fielder's legs(missed call #1). She made it safely to third, so that missed call didn't matter because she would have only been awarded third had obstruction been called. Then Upperman's number 20 rounded second and leaned into the shortstop, still standing in the baseline, as the ball was coming into third. The picture on the writer's camera captured that and showed their legs just as they got tangled. The UHS player summersaulted after their legs were tangled. Then of course, she got thrown out trying to get back to second. The umpires missed the calls because they were watching the ball in left field instead of doing what they were supposed to do, which is watch the runners, then glance to the ball to see where there might be a play. There is no reason to watch the ball, there is no call to be made in left field. But that is what both umps were watching. The field umpire actually admitted he didn't see the contact because he was looking "out there" as he pointed to left field. I guess he thought there was going to be a bang-bang play in left field after the ball got through her legs.

Obstruction calls are clear cut and easy to make if the umpires watch the runners like they are supposed to. Unfortunately, high school umps get caught watching the ball, just like some players do, instead of knowing their responsibilities. That is why they are still "high school" umps, and not NCAA umps.

The rule states that if a defensive player is in the baseline without the ball and contact is made with the runner, obstruction should be the call, and the runner gets the base they were attempting to make. It doesn't matter if the contact is inadvertant and it doesn't matter who initiated the contact. It doesn't matter if the players brushed each other or if there is a major collision. The rule is clear and simple, but usually missed. It is the fielder's responsibility to get out of the baseline when there is no play. The only exception is if the fielder is making a play on a batted ball, then the runner is accountable to avoid contact and is actually allowed to run out of the baseline to avoid interfering with the defensive player. Had the ump been watching, he would have probably ruled that the runner was rounding second and not attempting to reach third, since the ball was coming into third and it was occupied by another runner. She should have been awarded a safe return to second.

The HC writer was actually watching what the umpires were supposed to be watching and he actually snapped a picture of the obstruction and the players were actually touching in the photo. He is not smarter than the umps, but he wasn't watching the ball and it is clearly aptured in the picture. I wish he had put that picture in the paper, but he said it was a low quality picture for print.

Did that play win the game for LA? No, I've never been one to say that a single play won or lost a game, especially in the 3rd or 4th inning. But if the correct call had been made, Upperman would have had runners at second and third with one out and a .500 and .600 hitter coming up. Who knows, they may have both popped up to the pitcher. The bottom line is Upperman scored 0 runs. You will never win a game scoring 0 runs.

And yes, your senior/junior catcher should win a wrestling match with a freshman, and she did. And since I am stating facts about the rules, the UHS runner should have slid or tried to run around the catcher. She should have been called out or even ejected under the "malicious contact" rule. Collisions like that are not allowed in womens' fast pitch. That rule actually states that the if the defensive player has possession of the ball, the runner must slide or attempt to avoid contact. If they intentionally lower their shoulder or if they attempt to run over the fielder, malicious contact could be the call and the runner should be called out and she can be ejected from the game.

Anyway, congrats on advancing to the regionals. LA has a good team and we had three fantastic games with you guys this year. I will be pulling for LA to make 8-AA proud.

And yes, your senior/junior catcher should win a wrestling match with a freshman, and she did. And since I am stating facts about the rules, the UHS runner should have slid or tried to run around the catcher. She should have been called out or even ejected under the "malicious contact" rule. Collisions like that are not allowed in womens' fast pitch. That rule actually states that the if the defensive player has possession of the ball, the runner must slide or attempt to avoid contact. If they intentionally lower their shoulder or if they attempt to run over the fielder, malicious contact could be the call and the runner should be called out and she can be ejected from the game.

quote]

Not that this matters but LA catcher Rachael Kingery is just a Sophomore.

Let me start by saying congrats to DeKalb. In my opinion DeKalb has one of the best Coaches in High School Softball. Bonds should be Coach of the year every year in our District. When I was in High School LA/DeKalb/York were the big rivals & always fought for the title...it was nice to see LA & DeKalb in the rival position again. :thumb:

You have to give LA credit...they came in to this tourney as the underdogs and surprised some people by making it to the finals. I knew they could once they started playing like a team! They have so much to be proud of! Let’s keep it rolling HOGEYE!!!

If the "great" picture was so great of the obstruction call, maybe they should have put it in the paper. I must say, that one writer wears thick blinders. Good run for the top 3 in that district, sadly, just as in basketball, only two can go on eventually. That "luck" went to LA and DC. Congrats. Safe and good play the rest of the year.

If the "great" picture was so great of the obstruction call, maybe they should have put it in the paper. I must say, that one writer wears thick blinders. Good run for the top 3 in that district, sadly, just as in basketball, only two can go on eventually. That "luck" went to LA and DC. Congrats. Safe and good play the rest of the year.

Actually...Smith County finished 3rd. :roll: