BIG 8 IN 2010/2011

wkktnvolsfan

Hoopallday

Manager

Private messageE-mail Hoopallday Re: BIG 8 IN 2010/2011

by Hoopallday » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:17 pm

falconfan84 wrote:

Falcon Mom...he was being sarcastic. South has issues that 5 Macs couldn't fix. Actually, we were all wondering why Lindholm didn't play with the Express this summer. I understand she had a personal invitation and passed it by.

I will respond to this, since I am Ashley's mom.

She did not receive a personal invitation to play for the Express. Not sure where you get your information, but maybe you need to check it out first before you post.

Yes the invite was there for your daughter to come out for Nautilus Express. The coach call and email the coach from Vol and no return call or email. He also sent word through the girls that palyed on the team the year before. One of the girls text her and her reponse was "the coach is to mean". The funny thing is I do not think that your daughter and him have ever met so how could she know if he was mean or not. Maybe

Coach Myers never said a word to her or us and besides that is not a personal invite. Also the girls talking to her during a game is not a personal invite. Our phone number is in the phone book. A personal invite is receiving a call from the coach. We did not receive a phone call. I do not understand why you feel the need to post about our family when you do not know us at all. You want to know about Ashley and what she said or did not say, please feel free to give us a call, 357-3917 because I will not be on this site anymore, it is nothing but people talking about things they know nothing about.

I hope you have a great day.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...based on the past two years of middle school basketball, I'd say Science Hill has to be considered at or very near to the top. Two Sectional Championships and a combined 56-1 record over the past two years means they have the talent, not to mention the fact that their team pretty much returns everyone of any significance. If anybody is planning on beating them, they better do it this year because when Reid, Copney, and Knack are juniors, and Tarter, Lyon, and Head are sophomores, they have a chance to be a really special team. Rising 8th grade class has a lot of potential, and a few of those girls will be ready to play as freshmen or sophomores as well.

There are 3 girls in the conference and 2 are from Bristol that can hold Hensley in check. Holding Hensley in check makes the 'Toppers beatable. Granted, that is a large job. Her setup and release are ultra quick. However, after this year the 'Toppers are unbeatable. They will be state material for the next 4 years running.

The Lady Vikings just got back from camp at Vanderbilt. I know some of you will be disappointed, but no "drama" to report, just a lot of winning. They went 7-1, losing a 4 point game to a team from Alabama that were state runners-up in their division last year. They also beat a couple of good teams from Georgia, including one from Atlanta that has two post players that Vandy appears to be recruiting. THS heads to Shelbyville next weekend and should get some good tests there as well. Of course, all these references to drama on here are kinda funny as this seems to be a pretty tight group and apparently this drama problem hasn't been too bad as THS has won 5 of the last 6 conference titles and 4 of the last 6 district titles but that's okay.

My other favorite recent post was on the other board where it was said Coach Wade is a "fair enough coach, but the girls run that team." In his first year, the team went 28-5, won the conference, and went to the State Tournament. Then, they lose all 5 starters and 8 of the 10 from the rotation and go 23-9, win the District Championship, and come up one point short of the Substate.. Not to mention, in his 3 years as the JV coach his team went something like 75-4. I'd say that's "fair enough." He has been blessed with some excellent players but has done a great job molding them. Also, you can often tell the effect a coach has by how hard his/her teams play and there aren't many teams around here that play harder.

As for the second part of that statement, are you at practice? The best coaches do most of their work there. A coach who is ranting and raving during the games often has to do that because they didn't do a good enough job preparing in practice.

Also, I think Science Hill should be very good and their games with the Lady Vikings should be lots of fun. DB should also be tough. Volunteer, Boone (who is really well-coached), and South should be better and Kestner will make Centrall a tough matchup. It's going to be a heck of a fun year for girls' basketball in the Big 8.

I so agree with each and every thing you have said magic. You reference to my post and I am not afraid to say so. My daughter is close friends with 4 high and low profile players on the Viking varsity and has been for a number of years. I as well I am friends with two of their families. And yes, there is internal drama. The kind that destroys a team. It most likely won't destroy this team because the players themselves are top shelf competitors. Collectively, they are most likely the hardest working "team" in the region. They will collectively put their differences aside for the good of the goal. They are my pick to win the conference, region, and beyond if they can deal with Science Hill. This is their year. Especially with all starters intact. And my report is they are intact for the long haul. Yes, girls and boys are different animals and it is difficult for a male coach to deal with the female mentality in jealous situations. Yes, Coach Wade is a quality individual...his Father was one of my high school coaches early in his career. And he follows in his Fathers footsteps. And yes, his track record proves it. However, it is my experience that a female coach is best for female athletes. Especially in regard to internal drama. Yes, sometimes it must work itself out and I feel these starters are mature enough to look past their conflict and concentrate on what is important. And no, I am not dissappointed that the drama failed to destroy the team. In fact, I am very happy for my daughters friends as their collective future depends on their cohesiveness. Nevertheless, my post stating the "drama" and that "the girls run the team" is not retracted. These are the things a female coach is best at dealing with. Make no mistake, I can say kudos to Coach Wade for his accomplishments. And I do. And yes, he is blessed with talent. But he is using it wisely. But what goes on behind closed doors in the dressing room and beyond takes a special psychology. One that I feel only a female coach has the inherent ability to deal with. In my purported "hack" against the Lady Vikings I seem to have made two of my top four choices for the best players in the league Lady Vikings starters. I wish them the best...well except when they play the Rebel Flag Wavers.

WK, thanks for trying.

Which freshman? Bailey? Thought you had about a dozen sophomores so a few of them must be pretty ticked.

And you were fishing for camp info but haven't given any out. How did SH do?

The Lady Toppers got back yesterday from Eastern Ky. ended up 18 and 2 at camps. All this without Hensley - shes a few weeks away from being released by the dr. The freshamn is Tarter. Have 9 sophmores and six are playing varisity.

Don't be too quick to count out Crockett. From what it said in the paper, their new coach is friend's with the staff at Greeneville, so I'm sure they will be fine. Haha. From what I've heard about their camps this summer, they've gotten destroyed at both Daniel Boone's camp and Shelbyville's camp.

WK, thanks for SH update.

As Comp or someone predicted, sounds like it will be between SH and TN High with everyone else scrapping for third place. Except for maybe Crockett, wouldn't really be surprised if anyone finished in the top half.

Still out of town, how about an update on camps for all the teams, anyone?

NAIA and DII schools cost between 26K and 40K. Let's take 33K as a medium. Let's say you get a whopping 20K which is unheard of...then mom and dad are left to pay 13K. That would be 13K x 4 years. Somebody want to add that up. And you won't get your degree in 4 years. And you ain't gonna get 20K. Some scholarship...at the great academia institution of Pikeville. Oh, and pray you don't get hurt. ETSU costs 8.5K. Before the HOPE. Before academic money. You don't go DI and get a full ride...maybe you should save mom and dad some cash and be realistic and get a good education at home. The Express, on the other hand, in the past 4 years has only put one girl in DII. That would be Whitney Moody/Sullivan Central/Carson Newman. The rest have gone DI. With full rides...by the way. I have heard good things about Myers though. And I wish the best for Lindholm and her teammates. Truly, I wish the best for all the girls. But I would like to be clear on one thing...The Express has a reputation...and that reputation is built on results. VI or no VI, the Express will continue to roll.

As if it is anybodies business Whitney Moody from the Express did get DI offers but liked the chemistry at Carson Newman better. These girls have to go where they feel more comfortable. Besides the education is the most inportant thing. Also she did not want to go far from home because of family health problems. People should really keep their mouths shut if they do not know all the facts.