Summer Workouts and Conditioning

Rico

Can these workouts be mandatory, by tssaa rules. I know every coach wants everyone attending, but can they legally(tssaa) hold kids accountable. Kids playing summer baseball, or aau basketball, and not attending all workouts, can they be dismissed for missing? Whether mandatory or not, I know coaches want everyone attending. Some parents pay a lot of money during summer baseball for kids to travel, get exposure they don't get during high school.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is going to work mandatory? It is your personal choice to attend, but as missing work you may be dismissed. You don't have to go to work, but if you want to get paid you go don't you, and summer strength training and conditioning is no different. Summer league baseball and aau basketball have no merrit to high school sports. If they have such importance I would like them to put Grades and Discipline from school in their rules.

So for your answer to your question from a coach! NO, summer work outs are not mandator! But if you don't attend then why would anyone want you playing in their program. It is job training, and you should be trained properly don't you think?

I agree how important it is. I dont have a kid in highschool. Tssaa has messed with the school calender so much, I was wondering if it is a "voluntary workout time" or if they can make it "mandatory". Whether it is or isn't, I know every coach demands everyone to be there, as they should. I hear from summer baseball parents who say their son is having to do this or that(extra) for football for missing workouts.

I agree how important it is. I dont have a kid in highschool. Tssaa has messed with the school calender so much, I was wondering if it is a "voluntary workout time" or if they can make it "mandatory". Whether it is or isn't, I know every coach demands everyone to be there, as they should. I hear from summer baseball parents who say their son is having to do this or that(extra) for football for missing workouts.

My son played high school football, and he played travel/competitive baseball, which I was involved in coaching. I don't see how the two conflict in this day and time. Most high school football programs have their summer conditioning work early in the morning, usually three days a week - most of the programs that I have heard of work on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I can't speak for AAU basketball, but summer baseball teams don't generally practice or play games in the morning, and if they travel for weekend tourneys it isn't until Thursday afternoon at the earliest.

Most of the football coaches I know work with those kids and help them make up the work they missed. If some parents think that is "extra" work, then they really don't understand the commitment it takes to play high school football.

Besides, like somebody else said, you make time for what is most important to you.

I remember a time when summer training could be mandatory, and the TSSAA defines summer weight training as an open gym for anyone. So if a football coach had weight training any athlete could attend, however, that athlete(s) would have to do the activity set by the coach in charge. Plus, if you are a program that plans on making a run to the playoffs you have your athletes using the summer to become use to the conditions presented by the heat, to make the body healthier, and to build a relationship with their fellow team members. I do not oppose summer leagues, but it is funny how every sport has summer leagues but football. Football should be able to have summer league 7 on 7, but that seems to be a violation. Many of the new rules seem to favor AAU than any other summer league!

Rico seems to want to know if a Coach can make it mandatory or is it voluntary from TSSAA's view point during the summer. I don't think TSSAA addresses this. It is up to the individual Coach of the program if it's mandatory or voluntary.

I know there are some baseball Coaches who make playing summer ball mandatory and some make it voluntary.

I know some football Coaches who make working out mandatory and some who make it voluntary.

I know the real athletes who want to play both, find time to do both and the successful schools will have Coaching Staffs that work together. :roflol:

Rico seems to want to know if a Coach can make it mandatory or is it voluntary from TSSAA's view point during the summer. I don't think TSSAA addresses this. It is up to the individual Coach of the program if it's mandatory or voluntary.

I know there are some baseball Coaches who make playing summer ball mandatory and some make it voluntary.

I know some football Coaches who make working out mandatory and some who make it voluntary.

I know the real athletes who want to play both, find time to do both and the successful schools will have Coaching Staffs that work together. :roflol:

The TSSAA doesn't have any authority when it comes to individual team rules, which off season workouts would fall under.

You are correct - doing both can be done, if the coaches are willing to give a little and offer alternative makeup dates on missed work.

Bullcrap.

From page 51 of the TSSAA By-Laws:

TSSAA SPORTS CALENDAR

Q. A coach has a weight lifting program at school during off-season and in the time permitted by the sports

calendar. The program is open to both players and non-players. Is this a violation?

A. No, provided activities are limited to weight lifting, and provided no player is required to attend.

Q. Can a coach have a conditioning program in the off season, provided it is not during the Dead Period?

A. Yes, provided it is a program that would benefit all students and is open to all players and non-players.

Does the following statement by the TSSAA indicate there is a difference between "off season" and "summer": :roflol:

Section 8. For each sport there shall be a beginning practice date, a date for the first contest, a limit for the number of regular season contests, rules in regard to tournaments where applicable, rules in

regard to off-season practice, and rules in regard to summer practice.

I know this, if my Coach when I was playing held workouts, I better be there or there would be heck to pay come practice time. :roflol:

Bullcrap.

From page 51 of the TSSAA By-Laws:

TSSAA SPORTS CALENDAR

Q. A coach has a weight lifting program at school during off-season and in the time permitted by the sports

calendar. The program is open to both players and non-players. Is this a violation?

A. No, provided activities are limited to weight lifting, and provided no player is required to attend.

Q. Can a coach have a conditioning program in the off season, provided it is not during the Dead Period?

A. Yes, provided it is a program that would benefit all students and is open to all players and non-players.

Where does it say that a player who chooses not to attend is guaranteed a spot on the team and is guaranteed playing time?

Again, the TSSAA can't mandate an individual teams rules on who plays and who doesn't. Playing time is earned, and a big part of earning playing time is putting in the required off season work.