DEAD PERIOD BEGINS

FBCOACH

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you telling me that if I go by a high school baseball field during the dead period that the gate will be closed and there will not be one kid from that high school on that field? According to your post that would be the case, but I believe your post is wrong. You are putting out false information. Surely there are exceptions as I know of several high school players that played on their field during dead period. Please explain the rule if I am wrong. I will be more than happy to turn them in if they broke the rules.

Here is the rule on Dead Period from the TSSAA by-laws.

In my opinion, "no open facilities" means facilities are "closed" for student use.

But you can decide for yourself....

Dead Period – No coaching, observing, or contact between coach and players in sport involved. There is no practice, no open facilities, and no weight training / conditioning.

Open Facilities Schools may use their facilities for students in their building prior to or at the conclusion of the school day. Coaches may serve in a supervisory capacity only. There is no instruction, no teaching, no coaching, etc. Coaches may not participate or play in any manner. It is a free play type atmosphere.

In my opinion, "no open facilities" means facilities are "closed" for student use.

Dead Period – No coaching, observing, or contact between coach and players in sport involved. There is no practice, no open facilities, and no weight training / conditioning.

Open Facilities Schools may use their facilities for students in their building prior to or at the conclusion of the school day. Coaches may serve in a supervisory capacity only. There is no instruction, no teaching, no coaching, etc. Coaches may not participate or play in any manner. It is a free play type atmosphere.

So if a "summer team" is playing games on a high school field with someone coaching other than the high school coach does that break the rule or not?

So if a "summer team" is playing games on a high school field with someone coaching other than the high school coach does that break the rule or not?

In my humble opinion it would break the rule.

Are you telling me that if I go by a high school baseball field during the dead period that the gate will be closed and there will not be one kid from that high school on that field? According to your post that would be the case, but I believe your post is wrong. You are putting out false information. Surely there are exceptions as I know of several high school players that played on their field during dead period. Please explain the rule if I am wrong. I will be more than happy to turn them in if they broke the rules.

I would never be "happy" about turning someone in for a rules violation.

First I would approach the Coach, AD, and Principle and let them know that you think they are violating the rules and if they don't respond........., then do what you feel is right.

I would never be "happy" about turning someone in for a rules violation.

First I would approach the Coach, AD, and Principle and let them know that you think they are violating the rules and if they don't respond........., then do what you feel is right.

not my business, just wondering what the penalty was. Must not be too stiff, or teams wouldn't be breaking the rules so obviously