Faragut Who?

a-town1408

Come on Scotts50....let this thread ride. I love to sit in the bleachers and enjoy the comments....... :popcorneater:

How is D doing so far? Look forward to watching him this year. Looks like at least 3 games and maybe 4 I will get to attend.

He is doing great. Weathering the heat well. Extra strength training during the winter has paid off thus far. He still talks (good)about you and Charlie.....Please make sure you hang around after so he can see you and say hello!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you actually "played" as claimed, then you would fully understand that scrimages are not executed with final score in mind. They are testing grounds for players and positions and concepts, both defensive and offensive. We have no clue what FHS intended to accomplish and should not take a position of ridicule when we do not have all the facts. As for not playing anyone, let them think that. Those that really understand HS football understand that Alcoa of today is capable of beating anyone in this state, regardless of classification. As for comparing with other posts, shame on you for following the trend of venom that has developed on these threads as of late. Let's enjoy the greatest game on earth, not ridiculing others. Respect for your opponent is a key pillar of success to consistently win. Argue all you wish my friend, but you have missed the target here. GO TORNADOES!

I did actually "play" my friend and I do understand what scrimages are. They are normally a tell tell of what the season has in store. The teams that put up a fight in the scrimages had good seasons and were well coached teams. The ones that didn't, did not have good seasons and were not very competative. Scrimages most of the time tell a lot. If you would have played you might not habe made this comment "scrimages are not executed with final score in mind." That is absolutely wrong. Every player out there and every coach out there knows the score and wants to win by as much as possible while learning and getting better. I also really understand HS football because I played not long ago and am tornado through and throuh. I am simply stating that Alcoa has always been able to compete with most of the schools in the state regardless of classification. It is just sad that it has taken up to this point bc of the Maryville win for people to realize that. It is sad that you think that this is a venemous post. I have been on message boards for a LONG TIME and this is in NO WAY even close to trashy post. Sorry you should take the feelings off of your sleave and step into the reality of HS football in Tennessee. Scores are kept, teams lose, some programs domitate, some programs get domitated, and kids are disappointed. That is the reality of HS football. Also fans get excited and fans get disapointed. It comes with the territory. Listen I was 27 -2 @ Alcoa and I was extremely disappointed a couple of times and the teams that beat us got bragging rights and got to gloat a little. Thats just the way it is.

I did actually "play" my friend and I do understand what scrimages are. They are normally a tell tell of what the season has in store. The teams that put up a fight in the scrimages had good seasons and were well coached teams. The ones that didn't, did not have good seasons and were not very competative. Scrimages most of the time tell a lot. If you would have played you might not habe made this comment "scrimages are not executed with final score in mind." That is absolutely wrong. Every player out there and every coach out there knows the score and wants to win by as much as possible while learning and getting better. I also really understand HS football because I played not long ago and am tornado through and throuh. I am simply stating that Alcoa has always been able to compete with most of the schools in the state regardless of classification. It is just sad that it has taken up to this point bc of the Maryville win for people to realize that. It is sad that you think that this is a venemous post. I have been on message boards for a LONG TIME and this is in NO WAY even close to trashy post. Sorry you should take the feelings off of your sleave and step into the reality of HS football in Tennessee. Scores are kept, teams lose, some programs domitate, some programs get domitated, and kids are disappointed. That is the reality of HS football. Also fans get excited and fans get disapointed. It comes with the territory. Listen I was 27 -2 @ Alcoa and I was extremely disappointed a couple of times and the teams that beat us got bragging rights and got to gloat a little. Thats just the way it is.

My, my. Touched a nerve did I? Tell you what. I will be at Alcoa's practice Monday afternoon/evening. I will be wearing a white Alcoa hat. Come on over and let's discuss each others football career, knowledge of high school football, and see who played the most and at the highest level. I think you might be a little suprised to learn just what I do know. No threats here. Just a friendly discussion and comparison of histories. What do you say?

Just passing through this post and wanted to chime in. A-town, I love your competitiveness. If they turn on the scoreboard, then I want to win. Many coaches share your mindset and there is nothing wrong with that. But I have to agree with Scot50 that many coaches approach scrimmages completely different. I've personally listened to coaches preach to their squad on a day before a scrimmage that they were not going there to "win" a scrimmage, but rather to see what our strengths and weaknesses are against someone other than our own players. These coaches will have a set number of series their starters are going to play, and then the substituting and player developement begins, regardless of what the other team does or what the score is at the time. These same coaches will schedule scrimmages against teams that will give them looks similar to a particular opponent they will face in the regular season (cover 2, man, spread, etc). Not saying necessarily thats the way I did it, but that is the way some coaches do it. No idea what the Farragut coaches were doing, but my guess is that Farragut just got whipped by a superior team, no shame in that.

Just passing through this post and wanted to chime in. A-town, I love your competitiveness. If they turn on the scoreboard, then I want to win. Many coaches share your mindset and there is nothing wrong with that. But I have to agree with Scot50 that many coaches approach scrimmages completely different. I've personally listened to coaches preach to their squad on a day before a scrimmage that they were not going there to "win" a scrimmage, but rather to see what our strengths and weaknesses are against someone other than our own players. These coaches will have a set number of series their starters are going to play, and then the substituting and player developement begins, regardless of what the other team does or what the score is at the time. These same coaches will schedule scrimmages against teams that will give them looks similar to a particular opponent they will face in the regular season (cover 2, man, spread, etc). Not saying necessarily thats the way I did it, but that is the way some coaches do it. No idea what the Farragut coaches were doing, but my guess is that Farragut just got whipped by a superior team, no shame in that.

As always FBD, you bring great light to the dark! I can honestly say as a coach that I have never went into scrimmage overly concerned about winning, but more concerned with the right mix to win when the season begins. As an O-line coach I am trying to find the right mix of 5 little tush hogs. Sometimes the mix is not right and you get killed. Sometimes it takes almost entire scrimmage before you find the right mix of talent..and worse it may take a couple of scrimmages to find the best answer possible. Yes Alcoa was the better team last Friday. But remember, Alcoa "beat" FHS last year in the pre-season scrimmage and they went on to play Maryville in the 6A playoffs. Not to shabby at all in my book.

My final comment on this thread......We all must teach our young players to play this game with sportsmanship and quit acting like the NFL. Otherwise, the beauty of this game is endangered forever.

My, my. Touched a nerve did I? Tell you what. I will be at Alcoa's practice Monday afternoon/evening. I will be wearing a white Alcoa hat. Come on over and let's discuss each others football career, knowledge of high school football, and see who played the most and at the highest level. I think you might be a little suprised to learn just what I do know. No threats here. Just a friendly discussion and comparison of histories. What do you say?

No you didn't touch a nerve, just responding to comments made torwards me. You might have played for alcoa and maybe even college but the tone of your post doesn't sound like any former alcoa player or athelete that I played with. I do believe that scrimmages may not be played with all the tricks that are in the bag to get a win but I do know that every player that I played with new exactly what the score was in every scrimmage that we ever played in. I also know that after dominating or winning scrimmages, the teams confidence is up going into the regular season. Getting beat or dominated in scrimmages can do damage to a teams morale. All I was saying is that Faragut should have put up a better fight than they did. That is not trash that is just the truth coming from someone who knows a little about HS football. There is also no need for us to meet and talk about football at practice. I think that we can know all we need to know about each other on here. Just a spirited debate with different points of view about competitiveness and trash talking. I am from the school where this is not even close to being trash talk. I have done my share and have gotten my share of trash talking done to me as well. I don't take things personal and neither should you. I don't need to be told what opinion to have and what opinion to not have by someone on a message board that is made for voicing opinions. I would guess that we didn't play together at Alcoa either.

My final comment on this thread......We all must teach our young players to play this game with sportsmanship and quit acting like the NFL. Otherwise, the beauty of this game is endangered forever.

Hear, hear. To take that thought one step further, we also need to remember that athletics and other extracurriculars, as important as they are, are only a complementary part of the educational process and need to remain subordinate to the primary mission of the secondary school. That mission is to educate its students academically and prepare them to become productive members of society.

Warning: this is the end of the serious part of this post...

As early as 1932, warnings were being sounded that football was becoming the tail that wagged the dog. Controversial Huxley College president Quincy Adams Wagstaff was quoted as saying:

Have we got a college? Have we got a football team?....Well we can't afford both.

Tomorrow we start tearing down the college.

Groucho in Horse Feathers (movie)

MV5BMTY2MDExMzQ2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTY3NzkyMQ@@._V1._SX100_SY137_.jpg

Seriously, we do need to remember that school work comes first, extracurriculars second.

No you didn't touch a nerve, just responding to comments made torwards me. You might have played for alcoa and maybe even college but the tone of your post doesn't sound like any former alcoa player or athelete that I played with. I do believe that scrimmages may not be played with all the tricks that are in the bag to get a win but I do know that every player that I played with new exactly what the score was in every scrimmage that we ever played in. I also know that after dominating or winning scrimmages, the teams confidence is up going into the regular season. Getting beat or dominated in scrimmages can do damage to a teams morale. All I was saying is that Faragut should have put up a better fight than they did. That is not trash that is just the truth coming from someone who knows a little about HS football. There is also no need for us to meet and talk about football at practice. I think that we can know all we need to know about each other on here. Just a spirited debate with different points of view about competitiveness and trash talking. I am from the school where this is not even close to being trash talk. I have done my share and have gotten my share of trash talking done to me as well. I don't take things personal and neither should you. I don't need to be told what opinion to have and what opinion to not have by someone on a message board that is made for voicing opinions. I would guess that we didn't play together at Alcoa either.

No, we did not play together nor did I play at Alcoa. I do have three sons that are at Alcoa playing football at the high school and middle school...thus I am a huge Alcoa supporter. I am probably much older than you. I used to fold my helmet and put it in my back pocket. Based upon your user name, I would say that you played within the last 10 years.

The difference here is that I think you are still looking at a scrimmage from the viewpoint of a player....win baby...kick their butt! I look at it from the viewpoint of a coach....what must I do to ensure we win all season long. A totally different outlook indeed.

Whoops, I said I was done! Oh well, I am done now. I still hope to see you at a practice. After all, we are Tornado supporters!