Pre-Season Scores

MVM

When one steps back and takes all this in, one should realize that at the end of four scrimmages you should know more about your team than you did before you played them. If you decide to play 11 players all four games...you'll know more about those 11 players (as in, maybe, just maybe you made your decisions early and watched your rising classsmen during their club season). On the other hand, you may have decided after coaching that you wished to see just the younger classmen. Or you may see a combination there of.

If you think you can take something as a "Measure" of how you did against another squad you are kidding yourself. You have no idea what that squad was attempting to accomplish. So we all have opinions. At the end of a scrimmage, I wouldn't take too much to heart about the team your playing against, just yours.

The regular season starts soon enough.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess my question was answered...People care about pre-season scores. It sounds like everyone is saying pretty much the same thing. Pre-season is used by evaluation by most coaches, and unless you were there, commenting on motivation based on the score is pointless. I don't necessarily fault a coach for trying to win pre-season games, depending on the reason. Maybe the team lacks confidence, and winning a scrimmage may help build that confidence. I am talking about a 1-0 win by team who kept their varsity in when the other team put their JV in.

Edited by ChattanoogaCannon

I guess my question was answered...People care about pre-season scores. It sounds like everyone is saying pretty much the same thing. Pre-season is used by evaluation by most coaches, and unless you were there, commenting on motivation based on the score is pointless. I don't necessarily fault a coach for trying to win pre-season games, depending on the reason. Maybe the team lacks confidence, and winning a scrimmage may help build that confidence. I am talking about a 1-0 win by team who kept their varsity in when the other team put their JV in.

Now CCannon I'm confused.....Do you guys have a JV? DDS posted earlier that your numbers were down and would not be forming a JV squad.

ND will not have a true JV squad. 25 players are rostered. 7 or 8 may never get into a competitive varsity game. There is talk of scheduling 7v7 JV scrimmages will other local schools.

7v7...Thats a great ideal. Tell Coach Jim to contact Coach Mo. I can set up our practice upper field for the proper dimensions.

Were you there?

Yep- But had to leave right before halftime to go to my son's scout ceremony...the hour plus rain delay really screwed up the timing to get there on time...Cannon gave me the play by play by text, and wouldn't it figure my daughter went in right after I left...., butI got to see the great free kick goal by ND's Michelle Spangler, and the first OR goal...otherwise, I would have tried to find you....

Cannon most likely stayed in the cheap seats across from the stands.....

D