South Doyle vs. Powell - Week 0

osunut2

Despite a couple of turnovers in the jamboree, Powell held their own against Catholic (much like last year). The Fulton game next week is huge, but South Doyle cannot be overlooked, especially in Week 0. In the end, I think Powell has too much talent on both sides of the ball. Powell wins, 38-7.

HTV, have the Panthers avoided the injury bug during practice/scrimmages so far this year?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HTV, have the Panthers avoided the injury bug during practice/scrimmages so far this year?

Nothing more than the usual bumps and bruises that come with normal pre-season practice and scrimmages.

One of the storylines of this game will be the return to Powell of Clark Duncan for the first time as a coach of a team other than the Panthers, whom he coached for 17 years. He has been back as an athletic director, but this will be his first time back as a coach on the sidelines. Clark will be able to see his own name on the athletic complex from his spot on the visitor's sideline. That will most likely be an eerie feeling for him.

I tend to agree with you, observer. South-Doyle is a much improved team. They have some players and Coach Duncan has had a year with them now. This should be a good football game.

I expect SD to be better this year (with 19 starters returning), but the Cherokees are still very young. Last year's game was extremely sloppy (plus, it's week 0). If not for so many Panther turnovers, that game would have been even worse.

I didn't really see much from SD against Bearden in their scoreless tie at the jamboree/glorified scrimmage, but apparently Bearden's starters only played for about 3 plays, according to the News Sentinel.

HTV, didn't Powell have 4 or 5 turnovers in last year's game? SD will have to be much improved, because they looked very discombobulated at times during last year's 31-0 drubbing.

Edited by osunut2

Jamboree wasn't as bad as it appeared if we don't turn the ball over. Can't overlook SD but we should when that one.

Fulton will be a tough test. Wish we played CAK haha kidding Juniorsdad

Fulton definitely looks like they are back to being a real juggernaut. Have they announced where that game is going to be played?

I expect SD to be better this year (with 19 starters returning), but the Cherokees are still very young. Last year's game was extremely sloppy (plus, it's week 0). If not for so many Panther turnovers, that game would have been even worse.

I didn't really see much from SD against Bearden in their scoreless tie at the jamboree/glorified scrimmage, but apparently Bearden's starters only played for about 3 plays, according to the News Sentinel.

HTV, didn't Powell have 4 or 5 turnovers in last year's game? SD will have to be much improved, because they looked very discombobulated at times during last year's 31-0 drubbing.

The stats from last year's game are on my other laptop, so I can't tell you for sure, but I know it was several turnovers. That was a one score game at halftime, if memory serves. Powell pulled away late in the third and blew it open in the fourth.

I have seen tape of South-Doyle's scrimmage with Hardin Valley last week. Granted, Hardin Valley isn't upper level yet, but South-Doyle didn't just barely beat them, either. Like I said, they are a much improved footbal team with some very good football players and I know they are well coached. Do I expect Powell to win? Absolutely, but it's not going to be a walk in the park.

EDIT: Just found the game log from last year. Powell lost two fumbles and threw a pick, so they turned it over 3 times in that game. They also were stopped on downs once inside the 25, missed a field goal attempt, and punted twice.

Edited by HTV

The stats from last year's game are on my other laptop, so I can't tell you for sure, but I know it was several turnovers. That was a one score game at halftime, if memory serves. Powell pulled away late in the third and blew it open in the fourth.

I have seen tape of South-Doyle's scrimmage with Hardin Valley last week. Granted, Hardin Valley isn't upper level yet, but South-Doyle didn't just barely beat them, either. Like I said, they are a much improved footbal team with some very good football players and I know they are well coached. Do I expect Powell to win? Absolutely, but it's not going to be a walk in the park.

EDIT: Just found the game log from last year. Powell lost two fumbles and threw a pick, so they turned it over 3 times in that game. They also were stopped on downs once inside the 25, missed a field goal attempt, and punted twice.

WE WERE AMAZED AT THE HARDIN VALLEY SCRIMMAGE ALSO.WE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK.SD ALSO PLAYED A LOT OF SUBS AGAINST BEARDEN.

THE KEY TO THE GAME FOR SD WILL BE THE SOPHOMORES AND CAN THEY GIVE RELIEF TO THE PLAYERS WHO GO BOTH WAYS.THAT WAS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM LAST YEAR....THAT AND CLARK CALLING 90% ALL RUNNING PLAYS.