South Doyle vs. Powell - Week 0

osunut2

I was on the team last year and trust i know more then all the players on the team SOUTH-DOYLE iS STILL gonna be lame this they bring back a O-Line that couldnt block anybody (EVEN COCKE COUNTY)THEIR QB is SUB PAR COACH Duncan calling plays now so you know he only runs the football their new D-coordinator is their O-Coordinator form last year and ALL OF US IN SOUTH KNOXVILLE know how bad the offense was last so excpt the same with the Defense this year they will be lucky to finsh 1-9 or 0-10 again this year i dont see a winning record anytime soon my prediction for the game is powell 38 south-doyle 3.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking South-Doyle needs a new strategy or something. Duncan is running an offense that he doesn't have the personnel for. The linemen are too small to play what he's trying to run.

From the highlights of the game, the defense needs some coaching as well. Lots of arm-tackling and not wrapping up.

All in all, 2-3 wins would be a major accomplishment this year. I'm also thinking SD needs a new head man. Don't want to say that Duncan is a bad coach(he did reach a state title game with Powell in the early 90's), but I don't think he's right for this, specific job.

Kind of Shocked at this one! Congrats to Powell... offense looked good at times, but even without proper blocking Powells RBs seemed to be able to gain good yards. Defense looked well improved especially the defensive line. It seemed to be most of the same players from last year up front(I think??) but they were much improved, did they just mature or what? Secondary looks a little small but played very well 99% of the time. Powell still needs to face a good opponent though, we will see next week I guess!

Next week will be a real litmus test for both Powell and Fulton. Powell can obviously move the football and score. The Panthers scored on 7 of their 8 drives last night (without turning the ball over). The only time Powell didn't score was after a 78-yard TD run by Darian Logan was called back for holding, which eventually led to their only punt.

The bigger questions will be how they pursue the football against a fast team like Fulton, can they get penetration against an experienced Fulton O-Line, and how will their secondary perform against a QB like Winters.

I want to set the record straight on something, by the way. I was working in the press box last night and heard a couple of the South Doyle coaches say that Powell was trying to run up the score in the 4th quarter. That just wasn't true. By that time Powell already had had its freshmen and JV guys in the game for a couple of series. The QB, the running backs who were rotating in and out (#s 7, 18, and 26) were all freshmen. The WRs were freshmen and sophomores, as were the linemen. Ditto on defense. Powell didn't try to run up the score at all, and it should be noted that South Doyle still had their starters in, as well. Powell ran their regular offense with those young guys. They need Friday night snaps, too, and you can't ask them to take a knee or run off tackle every play, and especially when there are 10 minutes left to play.

I promise you that Coach Lowe and his staff, as well as everybody associated with the Powell football program has way too much respect for Clark Duncan to do something like trying to run up the score on South Doyle. I don't know exactly which SD coaches were voicing that opinion, but they are just flat out wrong.

I want to set the record straight on something, by the way. I was working in the press box last night and heard a couple of the South Doyle coaches say that Powell was trying to run up the score in the 4th quarter. That just wasn't true. By that time Powell already had had its freshmen and JV guys in the game for a couple of series. The QB, the running backs who were rotating in and out (#s 7, 18, and 26) were all freshmen. The WRs were freshmen and sophomores, as were the linemen. Ditto on defense. Powell didn't try to run up the score at all, and it should be noted that South Doyle still had their starters in, as well. Powell ran their regular offense with those young guys. They need Friday night snaps, too, and you can't ask them to take a knee or run off tackle every play, and especially when there are 10 minutes left to play.

I promise you that Coach Lowe and his staff, as well as everybody associated with the Powell football program has way too much respect for Clark Duncan to do something like trying to run up the score on South Doyle. I don't know exactly which SD coaches were voicing that opinion, but they are just flat out wrong.

I'm glad you brought that up, HTV. I said the same thing to my wife last night. Powell put their JV and freshmen QBs and backs into the game early in the 4th quarter, while SD kept their starters in until the final whistle. Kudos to Coach Lowe and his staff for giving those younger kids their share of playing time.

I was on the team last year and trust i know more then all the players on the team SOUTH-DOYLE iS STILL gonna be lame this they bring back a O-Line that couldnt block anybody (EVEN COCKE COUNTY)THEIR QB is SUB PAR COACH Duncan calling plays now so you know he only runs the football their new D-coordinator is their O-Coordinator form last year and ALL OF US IN SOUTH KNOXVILLE know how bad the offense was last so excpt the same with the Defense this year they will be lucky to finsh 1-9 or 0-10 again this year i dont see a winning record anytime soon my prediction for the game is powell 38 south-doyle 3.

After witnessing the game I would have to say that you had a much clearer understanding of what the SD team will be like and how far they have to go than I did. I thought they looked decent and improved in their qtr against Bearden and heard they had looked better against Hardin Valley in a scrimmage. The SD team I saw on the field last night didn't look any better than last years version and really I didn't see any real playmakers to give hope for the future. I respect Clark Duncan and was hopeful he could find some measured success with the Cherokees (but I was pulling for my Powell boys), but Clark has always run a system that features a TB that is a playmaker and carries the ball 20-30 times per game. He just doesn't have that type of player to feature, unless I was just missing something.

On the other hand, I thought Powell looked strong in many areas and should contend for the district title. Key games with Anderson County & Oak Ridge within the district and a big challenge next week with Fulton, will most likely define their season. The Panthers should be better than the remaining teams on their schedule. Congrats to Powell for an great start to the season. :thumb:

I would suspect that frustration was at the root of those comments. I doubt that Coach Duncan expressed any of those concerns. If he did, I would be disappointed. It should have been obvious to all parties concerned with either school that Powell was substituting liberally. I've never believed that you send in substitutes and then ask them not to "play hard".