Pearl-Cohn at MBA

howdoitknow

MBA-17

Pearl Cohn-0

First games are seldom pretty, but this one was exceptionally ugly. "Bulldog chewing on a wasp" ugly. It's hard to draw many conclusions from a first game, and some of what you saw tonight won't make sense for a couple of weeks.

The score is a little flattering to MBA, who drove the length of the field in the first possession, followed it up with a short field goal, and then did nothing offensively until the final possession. Beyond the first drive, MBA had trouble running until the final drive, when P-C seemed to be cramping up badly. Simonis appeared fairly healthy, although thigh injuries are slow to heal and painful. Hopefully tonight is a good learning experience.

Defensively, MBA looked better, although P-C was frighteningly inept, one of those rare cases where the whole was actually considerably less than the sum of its parts. Their offense appeared to have met for the first time early this afternoon to pass out uniforms, and then not spoken until they got to the field tonight. They seem to have some decent athletes, but no cohesion at all.

To make matters worse for P-C, they were fairly undisciplined, taking a handful of penalties (several 15 yarders, all of them giving up first downs). Their special teams were also pretty bad.

MBA will miss Andrew Fletcher.

The best thing to be said about this one is that it was an MBA win, and they didn't appear to take any injuries. Oddly, they actually played a couple of freshmen during meaningful portions of the game, with good results.

I think it will take a better performance to beat Maplewood next week.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for turning the tables on teams that have defeated MBA I would like to know when the Big Red is going to play Byrnes again? Will MBA be making a trip to Duncan, SC in the next coulple of years? I am sure that the Big Red faithful could stop in @ the Beacon and order a chili cheeseburger a pleanty from Ole JC before the game.

We have a Beacon reference! I'd go to Byrnes just to eat at the Beacon, and I'd have breakfast at Staxx in Greenville the next morning! With four or five MBA players at Furman, I'd love for MBA to travel to the Upstate to take on Byrnes again.

MBA must have a solid defense if they shut out Pearl-Cohn, who is on there that can play KWOODRUFF?

For my money, probably the best player on the team is Reigle (#5). I beleieve he's a 3 year starter, plays CB, and had the biggest run of the night. He broke upa P-C pass in the end zone on MBA's goal-line stand. Locacci (sp?) on the line is very good. They listed him at 285, apparently down by 15 lbs since practice started, and according to the announcers, much faster for it. (An aside...the announcers on the MBA webcast/radio broadcast are MBA guys through and through, but for all that, they're pretty objective. It's a pretty professional commentary, and very enjoyable). They also had a LB who played pretty well, but his name escapes me. They also played a freshman some, and he played fairly well. MBA doesn't do that a lot, so he must be pretty gifted. (Another aside-RRR watched the Oakland scrimmage and saw the frosh scrimmaging on the practice field and said they looked very good, and very big...hope for the future).

I'm not one to draw a lot of conclusions from the first game. It's not much more than a scrimmage where they keep score. MBA did contain P-C better than they did last year, when the MBA game was every TB's highlight reel.

For my money, probably the best player on the team is Reigle (#5). I beleieve he's a 3 year starter, plays CB, and had the biggest run of the night. He broke upa P-C pass in the end zone on MBA's goal-line stand. Locacci (sp?) on the line is very good. They listed him at 285, apparently down by 15 lbs since practice started, and according to the announcers, much faster for it. (An aside...the announcers on the MBA webcast/radio broadcast are MBA guys through and through, but for all that, they're pretty objective. It's a pretty professional commentary, and very enjoyable). They also had a LB who played pretty well, but his name escapes me. They also played a freshman some, and he played fairly well. MBA doesn't do that a lot, so he must be pretty gifted. (Another aside-RRR watched the Oakland scrimmage and saw the frosh scrimmaging on the practice field and said they looked very good, and very big...hope for the future).

I'm not one to draw a lot of conclusions from the first game. It's not much more than a scrimmage where they keep score. MBA did contain P-C better than they did last year, when the MBA game was every TB's highlight reel.

Yes Reigle is a really solid player. He has been starting as the strong safety since his sophomore year. I have also heard Lucachi is good too. I am told he has some D-1 interest as a nose tackle. The two linebackers are Juniors John Morphis and James Kay. I think Morphis is about 6' 185, while Kay is a much stockier 5'10 and listed at 215, although in the scrimmaged I attended he looked more about 220. Kay started last year and I think was 2nd on the team in tackles. I saw Jhamall Wright was a preseason all state selection how did he do?

Yes Reigle is a really solid player. He has been starting as the strong safety since his sophomore year. I have also heard Lucachi is good too. I am told he has some D-1 interest as a nose tackle. The two linebackers are Juniors John Morphis and James Kay. I think Morphis is about 6' 185, while Kay is a much stockier 5'10 and listed at 215, although in the scrimmaged I attended he looked more about 220. Kay started last year and I think was 2nd on the team in tackles. I saw Jhamall Wright was a preseason all state selection how did he do?

I'm not sure which one Wright was. I came in a bit late, and I'm not familiar with the names/numbers yet. The whole MBA defense looked solid, but it's hard at this point in the season to say if that's the quality of the MBA defense or if P-C has a really poor offense.

One interesting point is that the heat didn't seem to have much effect on MBA, while P-C was beginning to have cramp issues late in the game. I think it's probably going to stay hot for a few more weeks, so that may work in MBA's favor. It seemed to me MBA substituted a lot more than P-C.

We have a Beacon reference! I'd go to Byrnes just to eat at the Beacon, and I'd have breakfast at Staxx in Greenville the next morning! With four or five MBA players at Furman, I'd love for MBA to travel to the Upstate to take on Byrnes again.

Chris Miller (Byrnes Head Coach) has said many times before that they have trouble finding teams that will put the rual school from Duncan on their schedule. The problem is that if you were going to catch Byrnes in a rebuilding season this would be the perfect year. I have heard that Byrnes tried to schedule MBA several times since that Clinic Bowl game but I am not sure that the Big Red wants anything to do with making the drive over to Byrnes if they have to play a real spread/no huddle offense. Not that they would need any help but if John White was still the owner of the Beacon he would probably feed the whole team for free. Why not go down early and eat at Staxx for breakfast, catch the Beacon for lunch, and ease on down the the fish camp for dinner.

Chris Miller (Byrnes Head Coach) has said many times before that they have trouble finding teams that will put the rual school from Duncan on their schedule. The problem is that if you were going to catch Byrnes in a rebuilding season this would be the perfect year. I have heard that Byrnes tried to schedule MBA several times since that Clinic Bowl game but I am not sure that the Big Red wants anything to do with making the drive over to Byrnes if they have to play a real spread/no huddle offense.

cbg - you have always been one of my E.F. Huttons on ths board. But with the pleasantries out of the way:

How many TSSAA schools play football? 330, give or take a couple?

MBA has traveled to Jacksonville to play Bolles...traveled to Louisville to play Trinity...traveled to Cincinnati to play Moeller...played Byrnes in Nashville...traveled to the bowels of Northern Mississippi to play a program (albeit not a good one) that shared no stage with MBA (same goes for a trip to Lexington, KY)...traveled to Kingsport to play the state's all-time wins leader....and plays, year-in, year-out, in the strongest classification in the state.

Frankly, I don't care if Byrnes has asked to play MBA again. Heck, I would too if I throttled someone 62-14. But, if you're going to start slotting programs in this state that don't have the stones to play anyone (good or not), to travel anywhere - go ahead and slot MBA at 330. Heck, you can even co-slot them with Brentwood Academy.

Seriously, I do read your posts with more interest and respect than most others. But, if you're going to start talking about scheduling moxie this past decade, go barking somewhere else. There are some surrounding counties in Lane Kiffin's old stomping grounds that would be a lovely place to start.

Edited by rollredroll

cbg - you have always been one of my E.F. Huttons on ths board. But with the pleasantries out of the way:

How many TSSAA schools play football? 330, give or take a couple?

MBA has traveled to Jacksonville to play Bolles...traveled to Louisville to play Trinity...traveled to Cincinnati to play Moeller...played Byrnes in Nashville...traveled to the bowels of Northern Mississippi to play a program (albeit not a good one) that shared no stage with MBA (same goes for a trip to Lexington, KY)...traveled to Kingsport to play the state's all-time wins leader....and plays, year-in, year-out, in the strongest classification in the state.

Frankly, I don't care if Byrnes has asked to play MBA again. Heck, I would too if I throttled someone 62-14. But, if you're going to start slotting programs in this state that don't have the stones to play anyone (good or not), to travel anywhere - go ahead and slot MBA at 330. Heck, you can even co-slot them with Brentwood Academy.

Seriously, I do read your posts with more interest and respect than most others. But, if you're going to start talking about scheduling moxie this past decade, go barking somewhere else. There are some surrounding counties in Lane Kiffin's old stomping grounds that would be a lovely place to start.

Hey no one is throwing any stones on my end. I respect MBA and how well they do with their football program. You are the one that posted about how MBA had turned the table on several teams that had defeated them in the past. My question was if MBA was going to try and turn the table on Byrnes? If Byrnes has trouble finding teams to play them it could make for a great match up and the Big Red would have the opportunity to get a little revenge. Why get negative (your not the only MBA fan that has done this) when the Byrnes program get's talked about? MBA has proven that they are one of the top programs every year in Tennessee so why would they not want to step out of their comfort zone and play a team that spanked them a few years ago?

Edited by cbg